Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

C section at 37 weeks?

(5 Posts)
moonjumping Thu 05-Jun-14 19:38:46

Thank you everyone - thats really helpful and reassuring. Frances - Im sorry to hear what you went through; absolutely hear you on experience affecting perceptions of risk.

ChicaMomma Wed 04-Jun-14 11:41:57

I'd imagine it's on a baby by baby basis- but 2 of my friends have recently had sections (due to heavy bleeds) during the middle of week 36, both their babies are thriving. Go with what they advise. 37 weeks is officially fully baked!

Barbie1 Wed 04-Jun-14 11:23:08

I had second c section at 37 weeks as my Ds decided he couldn't wait a week longer for the scheduled one!

Neither of us had any problems what so ever, in fact I was discharged after three days which was quicker than my first baby (c section at term)

Good luck

francesthebadger Tue 03-Jun-14 22:12:09

Had DC2 at 37 weeks by elective section having previously experienced 2nd trimester loss due to placental failure. He weighed in at 7lb 9oz. Two midwives had a row in the corner of theatre as to whether he needed to go to SCBU as he was 'mucussy'. He went, and we were told we wouldn't see him until the following day. But SCBU sent him back within 20 mins, and he was breastfeeding within the hour. We did have a brush with jaundice and he was hospitalised a couple of times in his first year with chest infections, but otherwise in rude health.

Given our history, getting him out at the earliest opportunity felt a no-brainer - but only because earlier experience altered our perception of risk.

moonjumping Tue 03-Jun-14 21:50:03

I'm 32 weeks now with dc2 and likely to have a c section at 37 weeks, as with dc1, due to med history/previous surgery. I pushed for longer this time as dc1 was v quiet at first, which scared us a bit, and struggled with b-f first 48 hrs. Then fed her til 2 and can't keep her quiet now so she turned out fine long term!

Anyway, I'd still rather have dc2 a little later so he has longer to bake but think the advice will probably be against due to balance of risks. Just wondered what experience others have of c section at 37 weeks? Did you/bubba struggle at first?

I probably shdnt worry about this as fully conscious that lots of LOs come much earlier with no warning and do v well long term. but I guess it's a mums job to worry and I'd love to hear about others experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now