Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Lactulose for constipation....

(6 Posts)
MrsMonkeyBear Tue 03-Jun-14 20:56:06

....how long does it take to work???

I forgot to ask GP today and dread taking it in case it has an "instant" effect on me or worse makes me go the other way!!

I've been told 5-10ml twice a day as required but wonder do I start slowly and work my way up!!

Any advice would be greatly received

smile

StudyFullTime Tue 03-Jun-14 21:47:32

Not very long in my experience, I need to take it once a week to keep me moving.

I don't bother measuring it now I just swig it out of the bottle and when I start farting that's when I stay close to a toilet!

TheBuggerlugs Tue 03-Jun-14 22:41:22

It takes a couple of days. I found it gave me stomach ache so switched to fybogel which suited me a lot better. One a day with breakfast and hey presto grin

aroha77 Tue 03-Jun-14 23:05:08

I think neither work unless you increase your fluid intake at the same time which is worth knowing.

18yearsoftrying Wed 04-Jun-14 03:46:57

I think it's trial & error.

The GP told me to take just 5ml a day whereas the pharmacist suggested I take 45ml a day shock

I found that 15ml a day sorted it smile

You'll get it sorted x

I was on 40ml a day during pregnancy. Worked fairly quickly for me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now