Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Falling unexpectedly pregnant whilst Breastfeeding?

(23 Posts)
boulie Tue 03-Jun-14 20:17:57

Has anyone fallen unexpectedly pregnant whilst breastfeeding? How did you know?

DD is 27 months and still feeding through the night. I had a period at Christmas and nothing since, I didn't think anything of it as I had irregular cycles before anyway.

Last week, my nipples became really really sore. Not just during a feed but all the time, whether they were rubbing against my clothes or to the touch.

I've been feeling crampy and yesterday I noticed some spotting.

I'm waiting until Friday to take a test as last time it took a while before I got a positive with DD.

I'm driving myself mad debating whether it's my cycles returning or implantation bleeding. Any advice? thanks Thank you!

boulie Tue 03-Jun-14 20:36:07

Silly me, forgot to mention, I've also had awful headaches and tummy problems / bit nauseous. I don't normally have these going on when I'm due on and it's driving me crazy!

BiscuitCrumb Tue 03-Jun-14 20:39:47

Has anyone fallen unexpectedly pregnant whilst breastfeeding? How did you know?
Please tell me you didn't think breastfeeding was a form of contraception?
Lots of women (hundreds, thousands, millions, billions even) have fallen pregnant when they've not used contraception breast feeding or not.

BiscuitCrumb Tue 03-Jun-14 20:40:47

Oh and even if you were using contraception, the only way you'll know is by doing a pregnancy test because your monthly cycle is so sporadic.

Universal Tue 03-Jun-14 20:42:11

Yes I did but I knew breast feeding wasn't 100% risk free. In fact three of my friends have! It's a possibility.

TippiShagpile Tue 03-Jun-14 20:43:03

I got pg when breast feeding.

I does happen.

I was delighted, even though ds1 was still a tiny baby.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 03-Jun-14 20:44:24

What contraception have you been using? Pregnancies are surely only unexpected if you are using protection or are infertile?

CorporeSarnie Tue 03-Jun-14 20:52:37

I became pregnant deliberately whilst still bfing, twice (one MC, currently 18w), at 19 and 27mo postpartum. Stopped bfing after the 2nd BFP as was not pleasant with sensitive nipples and was worried about another MC. Bf is not effective contraception at all, particularly once no longer ebf. You need to test if you want to know if you are pregnant. I am astonished that anyone could think that BF a 27mo could act as effective birth control.

boulie Tue 03-Jun-14 21:01:49

No we weren't using breastfeeding as a method of contraception! Sorry, I've clearly not worded it properly. We weren't actively ttc but weren't using contraceptives either, I would be thrilled to be pregnant again! I just didn't think it was likely as I wasn't having regular cycles.

I would be over the moon if I was expecting number two, I just hate the unknowing and the days seem to be going by really really slowly until I can take a test!

Sorry for not articulating myself more, my heads all over the place smile

BiscuitCrumb Tue 03-Jun-14 21:05:30

It is likely so take a pregnancy test! smile good luck

mssleepyhead Tue 03-Jun-14 21:06:00

a friend of mine did, within 3 months of giving birth! she mistakenly thought she couldn't get pregnant whilst bf... good luck with your test taking!

boulie Tue 03-Jun-14 21:06:33

Thanks grin

parallax80 Tue 03-Jun-14 21:18:21

Yes, twins.

Marnierose Wed 04-Jun-14 08:40:58

Good luck op!

It always makes me giggle when people say they are not actively ttc but yet not using contraception in the same sentence!

Fingers crossed when you poas smile

Lozmatoz Wed 04-Jun-14 08:57:53

Please, let's not insult this poor woman simply asking a question.

Breastfeeding does stop ovulation, periods etc for a time but yes, it's possible you are pregnant. Take a test, and retest in another week if its positive. X

Lozmatoz Wed 04-Jun-14 08:58:12

*negative rather

Universal Wed 04-Jun-14 10:13:04

And come back and tell us the result!!!!

slithytove Wed 04-Jun-14 10:22:02

Breast feeding makes not one iota of difference to conceiving really once baby is weaned (and a few other variables, but at 27 months they will apply too).

So really, your question is "has anyone fallen unexpectedly pregnant while not using contraception" wink and yes, I have lol!

Hope you get the result you want!

slithytove Wed 04-Jun-14 10:23:23

And you don't know when you can take a test, so you should take one today!
<very nosey and loves a poas thread!>

grin

weebairn Wed 04-Jun-14 18:20:41

I got pregnant 2 weeks after having my coil out when still breastfeeding smile DD was 15 months.

Excited for you, it could be!

Artandco Wed 04-Jun-14 18:43:15

Yes. Well I was hoping to so not unexpected. Feeding only in we does nothing anything towards contraception. It's highest when baby feeds 24/7.

Ds1 was 15 months when ds2 was born. Ds1 was still fed until he was 2.5years so all before , during and after ds2 pregnancy. The only thing I think helped was from 12 weeks I didn't feed ds1 11pm-7am so basically 8 hrs not feeding. But then hourly in day still.

slithytove Wed 04-Jun-14 19:48:55

Yeah, I got pregnant intentionally while bf, DS was 10 months and only fed once or twice a day.

Got pregnant with his big sister unintentionally, having gone off the pill and failed to replace it with any other form of contraception grin

PickledSprout Wed 04-Jun-14 22:25:14

Could be ovulation. Nipples can get very sore at that time too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now