Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital bag

(17 Posts)
Dizzywhore Tue 03-Jun-14 13:39:04

Can't remember what I'll need? Help!!

Geminiwitch22 Tue 03-Jun-14 15:19:52

Mine so far has
2 x night wear
Throw away pants
Pads
Breast pads
Coming home outfit
3 baby vest
Hats
Scratch mits
Baby out fit home
Nappies
Cotton wool
Nursing bra
Baby first teddy
Socks
Blanket (made by my mom)
Dressing gown
Slippers

JimbosJetSet Tue 03-Jun-14 15:36:12

A top tip I was given (a couple of years ago now!) was to take some disposable changing mats - the only place to change the baby's nappy - when I was in hospital - was on my bed, so they were useful to help keep my sheets free from meconium/ baby wee smile

ChicaMomma Tue 03-Jun-14 16:52:37

Birth plan?
Lip balm as your lips gets dry apparently during labour
High nutrient nibbles for labour- nuts, protein bars, that kind of thing
dressing gown
Ear plugs

Dizzywhore Tue 03-Jun-14 22:23:23

Thanks all xx

angelopal Wed 04-Jun-14 09:44:02

Camera
Phone charger
About twice as many baby gro and vests as you think you will need. Its amazing how quickly you go through them
Nipple cream

mummytobejuly2014 Fri 06-Jun-14 20:40:39

im packing baby nail scissors as well as scratch mitts. treat for you after labour?

moomin35 Fri 06-Jun-14 20:44:04

I am unsure whether to take breast pads and nipple cream in my hospital bag or whether these are more likely to come into play a few days after delivery rather than immediately?

littlegreengloworm Fri 06-Jun-14 20:45:47

I packed light loose tops instead of a dressing gown
Nursing bras and big pants
Nighties
Headphones to using with my mobile phone for radio
Cash - fiver in coins

Nappies, water wipes, vests baby gro

Pads, arnica, paracetamol, colpermin (after c section)
Notebook pen extra mobile credit
Mints

Magazines
Camera
Batteries

Bsby hat and scratch mittens
Towels for me and baby
Mini baby shampoo / wash - I used this too
Bit of bronzer and lipgloss for myself

Flip flops

Toothbrush / paste

mummytobejuly2014 Sat 07-Jun-14 09:19:47

we dont need baby towel with us, do we?

katandkits Sat 07-Jun-14 09:34:16

It depends on your hospital perhaps but mine provided towels and disposable bed mats. They are meant for your bleeding but they double up as changing mats. I would change the baby in his crib rather than on your bed. Less effort to change the bedding if there is an accident. You don't need a teddy art all

Unless you are in for three days or more you are unlikely to need breast pads. Pack them somewhere where your DH can find them easily along with spare maternity pads, spare clothing in case you have a longer stay. I would pack the lansinoh cream though in case you need it.

whereisshe Sat 07-Jun-14 09:40:05

Pack two bags - one if everything is straightforward and you're in and out quickly. Another one for your DP to come home and get if you need to stay in for a few days.

Scoobsmam13 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:19:56

My biggest ever tip for hospital bag is a pack of those moist flushable toilet wipes. With or without stitches I found them much more comfortable for just after smile

peeapod Sat 07-Jun-14 20:38:00

straws are really good if you are feeding or unable to sit up etc.

I had a lovely shawl which helped to cover me for bfing and then smelt of me which i then covered baby with which made her really happy..

I found nursing bras completely redundant in hospital - didn't start wearing a bra till about 2 weeks in when I had got the hang of breastfeeding a bit better.

A couple of random things I asked DH to bring in when I needed to stay longer (5 days) that I've never seen mentioned -

Nail scissors - I hate having long nails and they grew enough in the few days on the ward to really irritate me!

Micropore tape - to tape down the long tails of my wristband ID/allergy, which were uncomfortable and I kept getting them tangled up with the fingers/toes/mouth of my newborn as I struggled to feed him

Noyoucantwatchpeppapig Sat 07-Jun-14 21:28:00

Take more than one hat, DD used the one hat we had bought immediately after birth. It was then covered in birth gunk and we had to get a friend to being more in.

Dizzywhore Sun 08-Jun-14 22:49:50

Some good tips here! Thanks all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now