Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Evening primrose oil - how much to take?

(4 Posts)
Gingerandcocoa Tue 03-Jun-14 11:58:56

Just bought some EPO from Neil's Yard. Lady at the shop said she wasn't sure how much I should take but perhaps 2-3 of the "dropper" (sorry don't know the proper name).

Is this correct? Can't find the information anywhere!!!

Also has anyone had any experience in using the oil vaginally?? How much should i put?

(I'm 38+5 and ready for the baby to come out!)

ChicaMomma Tue 03-Jun-14 12:01:16

I am taking 500mg orally, and 500mg vaginally. I know people that are taking double that dose (or more) but i said i'd err on the side of caution. And it all helps i suppose?

I dont think the 'correct' dose will be found anywhere as it's not recommended per se!You certainly wont get a NHS/NICE recommendation that's for sure!! I said it to my midwife a few weeks ago and she was slow to comment one way or another, but did say that too much can cause skin lesions when the baby comes out, so to definitely not go overboard..

wispaxmas Tue 03-Jun-14 17:39:01

I have gel caps and it says to take 3-6 of them orally daily. They're 500mg each, so I've split it between orally and by suppository.

Gingerandcocoa Wed 04-Jun-14 07:39:58

Sounds like I should have bought gel capsules instead of this silly expensive oil. Might pop to H&B later today to get the capsules. Also the oil doesn't taste very nice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now