Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long before your prescription exemption card arrived?

(23 Posts)
Sleepyhoglet Sun 25-May-14 19:03:38

I sent mine off about 4 weeks ago but haven't heard anything back yet. There is no rush but just wondering if I should chase it up.

Teaandtoast1 Sun 25-May-14 19:04:37

Mine was about 4 weeks. If you keep the receipts though for anything it can be back dated apparently.

WorkingBling Sun 25-May-14 19:05:51

I never got one. Just told them I was pregnant and they let me get free prescriptions.

beccajoh Sun 25-May-14 19:08:15

About a month I think. Was a while!

RedPony Sun 25-May-14 19:14:20

I got mine about three weeks ago and I'm now 33 weeks! I had to send in the form 3 times before I eventually got it

GingerRodgers Sun 25-May-14 20:43:05

Where do I get the form from for this? Can't remember from last time but stupidly thought it just happened automatically! hmm

RAFWife12 Sun 25-May-14 20:49:40

Ginger - your midwife should give you the form at booking appointment.

Mine took ages! Well over a month. Then when it did finally come, they had spelled my surname wrong so I had to send it back! Some pharmacies will still give you prescriptions for free. If you have to pay then just get a claim form to get a refund when card does come through.

LisaC2611 Sun 25-May-14 20:56:01

I got mine really quickly. I sent it off on a Friday and got it back 2 weeks later.

GingerRodgers Sun 25-May-14 21:13:14

Great. Another thing she's missed! Thanks, will ask for it next time I see her.

Excitedmumtobe007 Sun 25-May-14 21:58:00

I never got a form either at booking in. Will chase :-)

magichandles Mon 26-May-14 11:43:14

I chased mine after about 3 weeks and it turned out they had received the form but not issued it as there was a problem with my address. I then got it about 10 days after that.

Lula2515 Mon 26-May-14 14:06:10

Mine took about 10 days. Had a photocopy of the original form that I sent off and the pharmacist accepted that whilst I was waiting x

NewJobNewLife Mon 26-May-14 14:10:42

I saw GP at 8 weeks and midwife at 9 weeks. I'm 11 weeks now and card just arrived. I don't know which of GP or midwife sent the form off though.

I hope it cones soon. In the meantime, pharmacists have let me tick the exempt box because the form is in process.

Darksideofthemoon88 Mon 26-May-14 14:18:20

Mine was very quick - less than a fortnight I think. I used to work for NHS BSA who deal with them though, and the backlog can be horrendous at times.

Workingbling: Being pregnant does NOT entitle you to free prescriptions - only having a Maternity Exemption Certificate does. You don't necessarily have to have it on you, but you need one that's in date. If you don't have one, speak to your midwife asap and see what you can do. The NHS BSA perform regular checks to see who's claiming for free prescriptions when they shouldn't be - if you have been and don't have the card, you could become liable to pay back the costs.

Foxeym Mon 26-May-14 16:22:37

I've never had one, DC3 is now 7 months and I just tell them I'm exempt from paying etc and have never been questioned?

Darksideofthemoon88 Mon 26-May-14 16:32:41

You won't be by the pharmacist unless they're particularly arsey/on the ball - the bit you sign on the back of the prescription says quite clearly that you are responsible for ensuring you're covered by a valid exemption, so normally they don't bother and leave it to the BSA to catch you out if you're not. And believe me, it does happen.

eurochick Mon 26-May-14 17:26:13

Good point! I filled in the form in January! It has never arrived.

ohthegoats Mon 26-May-14 18:24:29

Still not arrived, I filled the form in in February.

Luckily I get all my prescriptions from the hospital, and go straight to their pharmacy where the 'unit' I've come from means they don't question it.

Firstpregnancy2014 Mon 26-May-14 18:38:15

I had my first midwife appointment at 6 weeks when I rung to tell them I was pregnant- didn't have to fill out a form midwife said shed sort it and it came the following week!

DebH1975 Mon 26-May-14 20:02:15

It's not always the midwife who you gives you the form - I had to go to my GP clinic to get my form

Poycastle Sat 07-Jun-14 12:14:01

Got my form from midwife at GP practice - sent it off and got the exemption card back about 2 weeks later.

ViviPru Sat 07-Jun-14 13:43:15

About a week for me. Amazed how efficient everything has been so far in the process here.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sat 07-Jun-14 18:53:58

Midwife sent mine off at 8wks n took less than 2wks to arrive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now