Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy weight gain

(11 Posts)
MummyV18 Sun 25-May-14 14:25:46

I would like some reassurance with my weight gain. I gained quite a lot last pregnancy and would like to try not to this time.

I'm nearly 17 weeks pregnant and have gained 12lb I would like to know if any one is similar.

(Please don't tell me if you have gained no weight that really won't make me feel better lol )

WorraLiberty Sun 25-May-14 14:31:20

I think you might be better off talking to your midwife

The reason I say that is because you could get tons of posters saying they'd gained double that...but how does that make a difference to you and your baby?

Besides, some people still 'eat for 2' and eat all manner of shite, so simply telling you they are similar may not be helpful.

eurochick Sun 25-May-14 14:41:26

I gained a similar amount by that stage. It took my by surprise as I was a healthy weight to start with, I have been fairly slim all my life and have never gained weight quickly. In the first few weeks the weight piled on at a rate completely disproportionate to what I was eating (when I need to watch my weight I calorie count so I have a pretty good idea what level of fuel my body needs). It did level off though through the second tri, but the total is still higher than I would like it to be. I have the third tri to go, so I will see where I end up!

ClaretAndBlue30 Sun 25-May-14 15:27:02

I gained 16lb by 17 weeks, I was a size 10 pre pregnancy, good BMI, physically fit etc. I have continued to be active but did have to eat to calm nausea in the first trimester (bleugh)

Weight gain has steadied now at 21 weeks.

If you're worried talk to your midwife but I'd say everyone gains weight differently so just relax and enjoy your pregnancy grin

Observer78 Sun 25-May-14 15:57:16

Apparently it's all down to the genetics. I keep reminding myself that as I stuff my face with chocolate cake.

Might help you to know that Mother Nature wants you to gain weight so you can sustain the pregnancy. Turns out it's all worked out so that you and the baby survive: as the pregnancy progresses you're unable to take on as much food due to pressure on your stomach so you start to rely on your fat reserves. Also your mobility (read: hunting and gathering ability) is reduced, so again those pesky fat reserves kick in. Followed by birth and feeding period where you're tied down and unable to get food, so your pregnancy gained fat reserves keep you and the baby alive.

That's the science bit. Nature isn't to know that our cave occupying days are long gone, which is why you're getting fat irrespective of how hard you try to be "good". Don't stress, it's not great to attempt to diet during pregnancy (unless you're about 30st, then maybe a helping hand from a trained antenatal nutritionist will help, apparently too much weight can be dangerous in pregnancy).

Heatherbell1978 Sun 25-May-14 20:28:41

I had put on about 5 lbs at that stage although I put on half a stone in a week when I got to 20 weeks when the bump grew overnight! I'm now 28 weeks and have gained 17 lbs. Everyone is different though, there's a lot of pregnancy weight trackers online you can use if you want to guage whether you're in the 'normal' range for your starting BMI.

kmini Sun 25-May-14 22:45:53
Excitedmumtobe007 Mon 26-May-14 08:15:42

This is useful, I am about 5 pounds over my average but I think that is all the over indulgences I have been having! Never been out for so many meals but I need to remember I would have put 4-5 pound on pre pregnancy eating that much and then done slimming world against for a few weeks :-) . Just trying to enjoy it all without getting too big by the end! So far at 13 weeks I have put 8 pound on

selsigfach Mon 26-May-14 20:58:46

Not gaining weight can also make you anxious! I'm 15 weeks and normally pretty skinny anyway at 57kg. I had gone up to 58.5 a few weeks ago but am now down to 57.7 and am worried that I should have gained more by now. Will talk to midwife when I see her next week but I'm pretty sure she'll tell me, and yours will likely say the same, that there's a big range in what's "normal" when pregnant.

flipflopsonfifthavenue Tue 27-May-14 11:35:50

I had 16 wk midwife apt this morning and have put more than half a stone on (4kilos) since the 12 week apt.. She offered "well, you are very tall..". Am also a greedy lazy cow.

Lula2515 Tue 27-May-14 14:40:49

flipflops I love you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now