Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Best pregnancy/baby gift??

(16 Posts)
Lyns22 Sat 24-May-14 22:42:33

Hi all
Prob posting in the wrong place but not to worry.
My best friend has just told me she's pregnant with her 1st. So obvs I'm thrilled for her. Just wondered what the most helpful gift you received during pregnancy/after baby was born?? I'm thinking of doing a hamper for her. My top gifts were definately nipple cream and my fav baby gift was the Annabel Carmel cookbook and a coverall. Just looking for some more ideas that aren't too obvious.
Many thanks xx

TheDudess Sat 24-May-14 23:06:23

These are my go to baby present as they're really nice and inexpensive:

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+milestone-baby-cards-in-christening-and-new-baby-gifts+b1273

For a hamper I'd say that lavender oil would be a nice thing to include

Zip up swaddles were a revelation to me!! Best gift I got, and they had pops on the shoulders for gradual weaning as baby grew. I give them to everyone now!

icklekid Sun 25-May-14 04:27:24

Ewan the dream sheep? Practical bits she hasn't got yet? Baby sleeping bag?

mssleepyhead Sun 25-May-14 06:49:07

For her: a big bottle of bio oil and some really nice foot cream.

Gingerandcocoa Sun 25-May-14 07:07:11

Some mama mio tummy rub butter!

whereisshe Sun 25-May-14 07:13:44

The organic pharmacy stretch mark oil is amazing - every one of my friends that has used it hasn't had any stretch marks.

I also love the merino kids sleeping bag that someone gave me - DD sleeps much better in it. And piccalilly large muslins are great - really soft.

Stars66 Sun 25-May-14 07:20:48

I must say a home made bag of goodies was prob my favourite. Full of helpful stuff like nipple cream, sudocrem, nappy bags, baby wash and a couple of cute bits, a snuggle bedtime bear, a book for baby etc.

tertle Sun 25-May-14 07:23:58

Swaddles are really useful. I've got loads of lovely Aden&Anaïs ones and I also give them to all my friends. Also baby towels - you can never have too many.

Good idea to get the mum something too as they are often forgotten and I know I felt a bit non existent after giving birth. My sister have me a wonderful clay facemask. Nice oils etc. for stretch marks are a great idea too.

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 25-May-14 07:28:18

I'm in same situation and was thinking of buying a nice changing box and filling it with stuff. Not sure if everyone uses them though (I loved mine). My other idea was a bf cushion, but though I know my friend wants to bf, of course it may not work out, or she may feel differently after the birth etc etc. whereas the baby will definitely need changing!

tertle Sun 25-May-14 07:49:32

Cushoin is a nice idea and even if she doesn't bf it will be useful for bottle feeds (I would have thought?).

Darksideofthemoon88 Sun 25-May-14 11:07:35

I've had lovely useful baby stuff from some of my friends: hooded baby towel, two gorgeous babygros from Cath Kidston, blanket that folds into an elephant, giraffe booties.... Personally, I'd much rather stuff for baby than me, but I realise that not everyone's the same.

Darksideofthemoon88 Sun 25-May-14 11:08:50

Oh, and anything really personal.... Bump/baby has a certain nickname which I'm not going to refer to here, but it's also the name of a children's book. My mam happened to find it in a charity shop (I think) and bought it for us. Must've cost her all of a couple of quid, but it brought tears to my eyes and I'll keep it forever.

hubbahubster Sun 25-May-14 11:15:20

Thermal cup. A must for any new mum who values a hot beverage. Maybe as part of a hamper with delicious cookies and posh tea bags/coffee.

mssleepyhead Sun 25-May-14 12:20:41

Also - I'm planning on buying my sister vouchers for Cook! when she has her baby any day now. They'll deliver home made meals to her : )

Lyns22 Sun 25-May-14 13:27:59

Thank you for all the great suggestions!
Will def get a swaddle blanket/gro bag and loved the vouchers for cook! idea! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now