Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

chicken pox and pregnancy

(6 Posts)
icklekid Sat 24-May-14 06:27:52

Hi all,

I work in a school and they have just sent an email out saying confirmed cases of chicken pox and to make all those who are pregnant aware.

I've had chicken pox as a child and reading the nhs guidance here I don't think I need to worry. I only have 3 weeks before maternity leave but those 3 weeks are handover of leadership responsibilities and sending off all ks1 data will be very frustrating if can't do this...but surely I'm worrying over nothing!

bakingaddict Sat 24-May-14 06:36:37

You will have immunity if you had chickenpox as a child so no real need to worry

IkeaFurnitureAssemblyChampions Sat 24-May-14 06:38:41

Ditto. I had CP as a child and DC1 got it when I was pregnant with DC2. My doctor asked if I had had it, when i said yes that was the end of the subject.

Artistic Sat 24-May-14 06:39:57

It's not unheard of to have it a second time as the virus mutates over time. Even I am vaccinated (never had it) but am wondering if I should 'top up' just to be safe. Can't do it now as am pregnant, but will do later.

I would say be safe rather than sorry - if you can then do avoid the children.

amy246 Sat 24-May-14 08:29:28

A gp/midwife can always do a blood test for you to check whether you have immunity.

Iswallowedawatermelon Sun 25-May-14 00:02:34

This is my opinion (based on research I did for a similar situation).

If you have had cp as a child you are likely to be immune.

But people can get it again.

However since you work in a school there is evidence that people exposed to cp regularly (and I assume you have been over the years whilst working in the school) have their cp immunity 'topped up' whenever they are exposed to it.

So I would say given these above factors (and assuming that your immune system is not in any other way compromised) that you catching cp is a very low risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now