Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ibuprofen and Anti-histamines during pregnancy. I'm so worried :(

(10 Posts)
needaholidaynow Sat 24-May-14 03:35:08

I'm really worried because I realised today that I have taken tablets that I shouldn't have been!

I am 5 weeks pregnant, and a couple of days ago I took an anti histamine and a couple ibuprofen tablets. I'm sure I have taken more in the past few weeks as well sad

This is my 3rd pregnancy. Although I only found out a few days ago, I should have known not to take those tablets, but it completely slipped my mind as I have been so used to just being able to take them without an second thought!

I'm so worried now sad I've read up about it and it says not to take ibuprofen in the early stages as this can cause birth defects and miscarriage. And as for the anti-histamines I really don't think I should have taken them either.

It's just been the odd tablet. Not everyday or anything. Have I got reason to worry??

wishingforwillpower Sat 24-May-14 03:49:56

Try not to worry - with anti histamine I'm pretty sure it's a case of we don't know for sure this is safe rather than we think this causes problems/has risks. This is the case for a lot of medications in pregnancy - it's not that there is reason to believe they are risky it's just nobody has invested in an expensive clinical trial to demonstrate their safety outright so the nhs/pharmacist etc can't recommend it's use. I have taken anti histamine in both my pregnancy on occasion as I have such terrible allergies and hayfever that once or twice I have felt I had no choice. As for ibuprofen yes they are not recommended but I'm sure many women have taken them early in pregnancy unknowingly just like many women have smoked and drunk too much before finding out they were pregnant with no ill effects. Remember we live in an extremely cautious culture now when it comes to pregnancy - plenty of women deliver healthy babies having taken e.g heroin or methadone every day of their pregnancy. Not that I would recommend it! Stress can be damaging too though so just try and relax and congratulations!

needaholidaynow Sat 24-May-14 04:00:03

Thankyou smile That's the reassurance I was looking for. I've not been able to sleep tonight. I'm seeing the midwife on Tuesday so I will make sure I talk to her about it too.

ruthsmumkath Sat 24-May-14 05:38:42

My gynae told me to take ibruprofen for pain in pregnancy up until 28 weeks and then just paracetamol.

Antihistamines there are some classified as safe in pregnancy but as op says - the majority of drugs banned are just because they haven't been tested enough.

I've been on tablets that say - not for use in pregnancy 4 times this pregnancy and twice in a previous pregnancy. The pharmacist said that the risk is practically none existent for these even though they say not to use.

I'm not encouraging use of banned drugs - just trying to reassure you.

Take care
Kath

AuntieMaggie Sat 24-May-14 10:47:29

Try not to worry too much as someone already said plenty of pregnant women have taken these things before realising they were pregnant.

Ditch the ibuprofen to prevent you accidentally taking them again (I did this with everything that I was used to taking) invest in paracetomal and speak to your GP or pharmacist to find out which antihistamine is least harmful.

arghhelpme Sat 24-May-14 11:49:28

Do you know what antihistamine you have taken? I'm on 28mg a day of chlorphenamine (piriton) and have also been on 10mg cetirizine a day.
Both have been prescribed to me and I was told they are fine in pregnancy, am currently 15+3 with twins. So the antihistamines are probably ok, just check which ones you have taken.

Can't comment on the ibuprofen though.

ikeaismylocal Sat 24-May-14 13:38:39

At 5 weeks your fetus (embryo?) is still not attatched to your blood supply, I think that happens around 6 weeks, I am sure lots of people have taken ibruprofen in early pregnancy, many people don't know they are pregnant at 5 weeks.

Congratulations and try not to worry!

LittlePeasMummy1 Sun 25-May-14 21:22:44

Hello, hope you don't mind me posting. My job is to write patient information leaflets about medicine use in pregnancy. I work for UKTIS, who are funded by public health England. The ibuprofen leaflet is here www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Ibuprofen/

I hope you find it helpful. Basically, as others have said, there is no strong evidence that ibuprofen is harmful in early pregnancy. Although the leaflet discusses studies of specific types of birth defect, the evidence of any link is weak. Its probably best not to take any more, but lots of people do it, and as others have said, it is sometimes even prescribed up to 30 weeks to treat chronic pain.

As for the antihistamines, I know that there is no strong evidence that loratidine and cetirizine cause problems as just recently wrote those leaflets ( they will be out soon) and although I'm not sure off the top of my head about the others, I'm sure I would know if they were known to be harmful

One last thing, as I see this quoted quite a lot. I always thought that as soon as the embryo implants it is receiving your blood supply, although this is not my area of expertise. But I don't think it's true to say that things can only be harmful once the placenta has formed.

Hope this helps smile

LittlePeasMummy1 Sun 25-May-14 21:29:50

Actually just realised the last bit is definitely correct. If the embryo/foetus did not receive your blood supply until 6/40 then there would be no point taking folic acid to reduce the risk of neural tube defects because the NT closes between 18 and 26 days after ovulation, I.e. Week four onwards

rach2713 Mon 26-May-14 01:41:23

I took both during my pregnancy for hay fever and I get migraines special in the 1st 12 weeks and I have a healthy 17 month old girl so I wouldn't worry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now