Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

You guys are probably sick of these skull theory threads but I need to know!

(47 Posts)
EllaBella220 Tue 13-May-14 19:12:28

Is anyone really good at guessing this stuff? I had my anomaly scan today and the sonographer didn't check for the sex as she forgot so when she tried to check at the very end of the scan the baby had moved and we didn't get to find out. I know it's not very important for some people to know but I am really dying to find out and can't afford a private scan for a few weeks yet.

So.....if anyone has any guesses I'd be very grateful :D

OwlCapone Tue 13-May-14 19:15:03

Hmmm.... I would say it's most likely a baby.

pommedeterre Tue 13-May-14 19:16:43

The nub theory has been true for me x3.

Any nub photos?

pommedeterre Tue 13-May-14 19:17:42

Oh sorry just realized this is 20 weeks. Nub theory won't apply then I don't think.

EllaBella220 Tue 13-May-14 19:42:32

They didn't do any pics of the nub area in the first few scans Pomme, so I was holding out for the scan today to find out. It's going to be a long wait until the next scan if I don't get a private one soon.

Gingerandcocoa Tue 13-May-14 19:58:47

I'm no pro (only experience is my own pregnancy), but I'd be inclined to say boy......... not sure why :P

GingerRodgers Tue 13-May-14 20:14:06

Op I'm really sorry but everything I've read has rubbished the skull theory, sorry. Are you sure there's no nub on your 12 week scan?

imisssleepandwine Tue 13-May-14 20:15:11

my guess is it's a boy!

EllaBella220 Tue 13-May-14 20:22:53

Ginger, for some reason all my scan pics seem to be from the waist up. This is the only one with the full baby in it, I've turned it around so the baby from top to bottom.

whatadrama Tue 13-May-14 20:58:18

Girl

NearTheWindymill Tue 13-May-14 21:05:44

I give you a guarantee. It's a boy or a girl. What more do you need to know if you have been told the baby is fine? Honestly, what exactly? Sorry OP but I was told at 20 weeks many many many years ago that our baby was incompatible with life it was sweetened by a lot of ifs that we all knew wouldn't happen but meant we went ahead with the pg for as long as there was an infinitesimal chance of survival.

I'm sorry but this isn't really a problem.

EllaBella220 Tue 13-May-14 21:21:12

Near....thanks for the reply but I didn't say it was a problem at all. I said I was dying to know. It's excitement. I am sorry your scan didn't go well but I don't think me asking for people's thoughts on whether I am expecting a boy or girl is offensive to people who have had bad news at their scan. I have kids already, I am very excited by this new baby but I would like to know the sex.......that's nothing for me to feel bad about nor should it be something that someone tries to make me feel bad about.

Fissawissa Tue 13-May-14 21:28:50

Well said EllaBella. I too am very curious & excited to find out if we are having a boy or a girl, hopefully find out in a few weeks.
I hate when people reply all pissy on a thread - if you don't like the subject don't open it & reply.
EllaBella I would guess a boy smile

NearTheWindymill Tue 13-May-14 21:29:31

No that's true - but knowing the sex when there are only two options is hardly a first world problem and I assume you know that your baby is well. So ultimately, not a lot to whinge about.

EllaBella220 Tue 13-May-14 21:37:26

Very true Near and if I was having a winge then I'd feel bad about posting the thread. But I am not having a winge nor do I feel bad smile

Fissa, it's such a long wait, isn't it? I think it's quite nice to know the sex so you can prepare better for it. I have 2 children and want to 'introduce' them to the idea of a new brother or sister and get them involved in helping with the preparations and build the excitement with them. They are bursting to know too as my youngest (8) thinks he is having a big say in the name choices :D

Roshbegosh Tue 13-May-14 21:42:29

Are you suggesting the shape of the head tells you the gender? It doesn't. That's a crackpot idea. If the Sonographer didn't see the genitals then you will have to wait and see.

EllaBella220 Tue 13-May-14 22:04:07

Rosh...it's quite a well known 'theory' so I just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas.

Roshbegosh Tue 13-May-14 22:05:32

Well that would depend on what you mean by a theory.

EllaBella220 Tue 13-May-14 22:09:44

Lol ask a question here, get people scoffing at you instead of just not posting in the thread.

The 'theory' is that the shape of the skull can tell what sex the baby is is. Nothing more sinister than that.

Fissawissa Tue 13-May-14 22:10:10

This will be our second baby & our daughter is desperate to know if she is going to have a baby brother or sister! I'm hoping to find out end of May, as long as baby co operates!
There's lots of theories out there, I look at them all as a bit if fun grin
Based on my nub picture it's looking like a boy & I also feel it could be a boy as so far it has been a complete different pregnancy to my daughter!

EllaBella220 Tue 13-May-14 22:16:02

Fissa my last 2 pregnancies were 8 and 12 years ago so I can't really remember all the symptoms or problems I had with them but my partner keeps saying this one is completely different so he's convinced it's a girl. I'm thinking boy but not sure why. I think it's lovely to be able to prepare younger kids for the arrival of a specific sex. It gives them time to get used to it. My kids are just more concerned about which one will have to share a room with the new arrival!

porcito Tue 13-May-14 22:43:24

I can't help with guessing what it is but just wanted to sympathise with you, as you seem to have been shot down. I'll never understand why people don't just avoid replying if they don't like the thread! I agree, it's not the most important thing at the scan, of course, but it IS something that I was excited to find out too. Not complaining that I couldn't find out, just excited at the chance to!

My baby had its legs crossed, we waited, its arm moved down in front of its 'mystery bits'. We waited. Then, its cord was right in the middle of its legs! So still a mystery! I tried all the other old wives' tales but they show an even mix of boy/girl so far!

Hope you're able to get an answer soon!

Hedgehead Wed 14-May-14 02:00:37

boy!!!

Fideline987654321 Wed 14-May-14 02:07:40

Foetus Phrenology! Genius! Batshit crazy!

<gets comfy>

Thumbwitch Wed 14-May-14 02:46:04

Some people should really hold off on posting rather than pissing all over people's threads sad

OP - I had 2 very different pregnancies, didn't find out the sex with either of them until they were born, both were boys. So I don't think the different symptoms are at all relevant, sorry!

No idea what your baby is - DH was sure from his scan pics that DS1 would be a boy, and he was (and looked exactly like his scan pic, which I know is kind of obvious but we got a couple of excellent profile shots of him so we could tell)
DS2 - didn't stay still long enough to have any decent scan pics of his head or face. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now