Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Less movement, nearly 29 weeks.

(4 Posts)
Hobby2014 Tue 13-May-14 18:52:05

Hi all.
I just wondered if anyone else felt reduced movement / kicks around this stage of pregnancy?
I started to feel flutters and kicks around 20 weeks. These got really strong and every time they were happening I'd automatically grab my husbands hand to feel them. However over the last 10 days or so I haven't felt anything strong enough where I've gone to grab a hand to feel, if that makes sense. I've felt movement, flutters etc but no big real kicks anymore.
I had a midwife appointment today and she checked babys heart beat etc and all seems ok, she checked position and baby is head down and in a good position and said baby was growing well and felt to be a good size etc. She's told me to pay careful attention and maybe I've just got used to the kicks etc but if in a few days to a week I haven't felt any strong kicks, then to call the maternity assessment centre and get checked out. She didn't fob me off with this is normal, you're being paranoid, or make me worry by saying get checked out like now. She was just a bit blasé, no definite strong opinion.
I have been really busy lately and not spent much time just sitting still or laying down (except for bedtime) I already work full time but have been decorating in the evenings and days off. So my plan is tonight do nothing and my day off is tomorrow and plan to do nothing so hopefully I notice more movements and kicks.
I just basically wondered if anybody else had a stage where the movements, well kicks, reduced but was normal and ok? If I don't feel anything strong in the next few days I'll call, but just wondered about others experiences.
Thanks x

gualsa Tue 13-May-14 21:07:44

As baby gets fatter towards 3rd trimester the movements will be less pronounced as there is less space to kick and do somersaults. The movements will tend to be slower and more like pushing or probing.
I guess as long as baby moves it's fine. If you feel no movement whatsoever at times where baby is usually active try drinking something either rwally hot or really cold. That usually wakes them up. If still nothing call the hospital.

I have had 3 pregnancies and the above is what I learnt;-). Hope all is well for you. Don't worry!

Gingerandcocoa Tue 13-May-14 21:11:11

Well I've had days when my baby kicked less / weaker, or maybe days where i've paid less attention to it! But normally after a couple of days I feel like the baby changes position and then I get the strong kicks again. It's been like this up to now (36 weeks) and kicks have been getting progressively stronger since.

I am a first time mum so not much experience but from what I've read at 29 weeks it sounds like it's a bit early for your baby to run out of room?

It's probably all fine but do keep an eye on it as your midwife said smile

Heatherbell1978 Wed 14-May-14 21:00:08

I'm 27 weeks and this weekend noticed baby moving a lot less but I was bridesmaid at a wedding and spent the whole weekend rushing around and on my feet so guessed it was that. Right enough, as soon as I settled on the sofa for a few hours on Sunday night, there he was! I have read that the best thing is to lie in a darkened room on your side and drink cold water and relax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now