Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy belly button bars

(9 Posts)
RandomInternetStranger Tue 13-May-14 18:25:44

Is there any real reason to switch to a plastic bar instead of a metal one? I've heard metal ones can be pushed out and rip your tummy, but surely that's a risk with any bar in there be it plastic or metal? I switched to plastic last time but just wondering if I really need to or if it's just for comfort later on?

GingerScouse Tue 13-May-14 18:33:20

I've just changed mine to a bioflex bar for comfort at nearly 27 weeks. As soon as I put it in I was more comfortable.

Don't know whether there's a need to change, but a flexible bar is much more comfortable!

Tomkat79 Tue 13-May-14 18:58:00

I didn't change from metal and at 40 weeks it suddenly got really red and sore and I now have a little dent under the ball from the pressure! I've put a longer bar in and it's fine but would def have swapped to plastic if I'd known. Plus I caught it the other day and that wasn't very pleasant!

saranga Tue 13-May-14 21:06:57

I think the reccomendation is to change it to a plastic one because they are more flexible and can bend with your belly and if you use a longer bar there is room for your belly to grow.

I am the top and bottom of my navel pierced, have kept a metal ring in the bottom as the piercer said there was enough space to allow for swelling/stretching, but I bought a plastic one for the top, and bought it at a longer length, which my belly is slowly growing into. I'm 35 weeks now. I changed it about 6 weeks ago.

Boogles91 Tue 13-May-14 23:19:05

I took mine out weeks ago as it just got too small for my bump, the hole hasnt closed up smile x

alita7 Tue 13-May-14 23:44:09

I definitely don't think I need to change it yet but will think about it in another 5- 10 weeks time when I'm over 20 weeks.
I do reckon my belly button won't pop out til right near the end, if at all though, It's one of those super deep ones!

Cuppachaplz Wed 14-May-14 08:50:30

I never lost my belly button when pregnant with DS, so never changed or took it out. I did have a very teeny bump though...

BlindKitty Wed 14-May-14 09:35:50

Mine felt really tight from early on so took it out. This post has just made me check it though and pleased to say it still fits (I'm 39 weeks) grin

moggle Wed 14-May-14 09:50:36

Same as saranga says, I've read that because the metal is inflexible it can cause damage like stretching or deforming of the tunnel, it doesn't give in to your skin like a bendier one would. Also depending on how long the bar is could cause problems towards the end as the skin between the holes wants to stretch. So in that case simply a longer bar might work.
I think I'm going to take mine out and just see what happens. I never show my belly off any more so I don't mind if it closes up (it's been 15 years though so hopefully it won't...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now