Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Gender at 12 weeks scan

(13 Posts)
Tasheldon Tue 13-May-14 17:26:07

Hi all smile

I had my 12 week scan 2 weeks ago I'm so eager to find out what we are having and have been looking into these nub theories. From what I can see the nub is more horizontal meaning girl? Can anyone help me or give me their opinions please?!

PurplePunkPrincess Tue 13-May-14 17:27:10

Was wrong for me.

FreeSpirit89 Tue 13-May-14 17:43:09

Wrong for me. X

LadySybilLikesCake Tue 13-May-14 17:46:16

I doubt you'll be able to find out this early, it's around 20 weeks IIRC, maybe slightly earlier depending on the position of the baby when they are being scanned.

SellyMevs Tue 13-May-14 17:48:20

It was wrong for me. I saw a horizontal nub and even dreamt it was a girl. I've since had two more scans in which there's definitely a boy who loves to show his danglies off.. But if you listen to the old wives tales, it would be a boy!

Tasheldon Tue 13-May-14 18:09:44

Oh well I think that's that then I'll just have to be a patient mummy and wait! Does anyone have any views on the heart rate? Apprently 150 or below boy and above 150 a girl?

smile

paddyclampo Tue 13-May-14 19:05:24

The heart beat one worked for me both times smile

squizita Tue 13-May-14 19:18:39

The HB varies during birth! Before then there is an overlap (so room for error).

GingerRodgers Tue 13-May-14 20:20:40

Nub theory has been right for me both times but I can't tell by your scan, it's just not very clear. If pushed I'd say girl.

PurplePunkPrincess Tue 13-May-14 20:52:57

Selly, I was also convinced I was having a girl, dreamt it was a girl and was convinced by the nub so decided it would be healthier to pay for the scan at 16 weeks and it's a boy! Confirmed at my 20 weeks. The night before my 16 week scan we went to asda and I turned round from looking at kids bedroom furniture to a foil balloon with 'it's a girl' and no boy ones and thought it might be a sign.

Only1scoop Tue 13-May-14 20:55:46

At my 12 wk scan ....Dr had a guess at boy regarding nub theory. She was correct.

Observer78 Tue 13-May-14 22:05:54

I'm under the impression that a good sonographer is able to indicate the gender at this stage.
Ours asked, "Do you want to know what you're having?" (It was neither here nor there for us, as long as it's healthy), driven by curiosity we said,"Yes". She said,"95% sure it's a ..." (which came back as 100% confirmed during the Harmony test 14 days later).
Just ask.

alita7 Tue 13-May-14 22:37:09

I asked at mine and she had no idea what the nub theory was -.- And showed me the bottom and all I could see was two lines.

Anyone think they can tell?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now