Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Feeling cold all the time - is this normal?

(16 Posts)
rascalrae Tue 13-May-14 11:02:33

Hi ladies, I'm 6 weeks and was expecting that I might have hot flushes, similar to when I'm on my period, but actually I feel really cold all the time. I've been wearing lots of layers and covering myself with blankets but still can't get warm. It may be because I feel so tired and I'm not being very active. But have others had this as a symptom? Thanks

Ducky23 Tue 13-May-14 11:03:35

I have this too smile think it's normal grin

Congratulations!

nyldn Tue 13-May-14 11:04:13

I had it too early on!!!

Cherryjellybean Tue 13-May-14 11:14:45

I felt cold in the first trimester, especially when I wasn't moving much and ill. Hope you warm up soon!

twiglet2 Tue 13-May-14 11:29:25

I felt freezing from 5 weeks to 9 weeks - wore lots of jumpers and wrapped myself up in a blanket when at home.

grocklebox Tue 13-May-14 11:37:52

Im sitting on the couch with a hot water bottle, a blanket, and clutching a cup of tea, and Im still bloody freezing.

Fairypants Tue 13-May-14 12:53:28

Congratulations!
I was the same in first trimester. Now 22 weeks and feeling more comfortable temperature wise.

hannah0608 Tue 13-May-14 13:03:14

Totally normal, I'm 17+5 now, and my first three weeks after finding out, I was always cold. Just be careful with that hotwarter bottle, baby can't regulate their heat, so you don't want to put the heat straight onto baby.

Lisad1975 Tue 13-May-14 13:11:40

Oh yes I had this early on too! Was freezing all the time! It didnt help my sore boobs tho!

grocklebox Tue 13-May-14 13:12:59

Please dont scaremonger, hot water bottles are entirely safe and make no difference to an embryo or fetus. Its raising your own body temp too high that carrues a very tiny risk, and a hot water bottle cant do that.

I'm exactly the same (8+5) and was in my first pg too. I'm living in my dressing gown and big fluffy slippers.

ohthegoats Tue 13-May-14 13:51:50

I'm 20 weeks and still in a vest (+3 or 4 layers), leggings, dresses, thick socks and biker boots. I tried to wear less at the weekend, but frankly I'm freezing the whole time. Heating has gone off at home, but I'm doing two hot water bottles!

ChicaMomma Tue 13-May-14 13:52:51

Low BP. not a bad thing. better than high!! your BP will go higher in third trimester so better to be lower now.
i've been cold all pregnancy too!

rascalrae Tue 13-May-14 14:27:14

Thanks everyone, glad to hear it's not just me! Haven't had my blood pressure taken yet so don't know whether it's low. Guess I'll just have to get used to it for now!

ChicaMomma Tue 13-May-14 15:08:02

Sure as eggs your BP will be low.. at my 20 week appt mine was 105/50.. i jokingly asked the midwife was i 'close to death' but she said she likes to see it low during the second trimester, as it naturally ticks up a bit from weeks 30-40.. but she said the downside for me was that i'd be cold.. at my 34 week appt last week it was 115/70, still a BIT on the low side, and i'm still a BIT cold.. but it's coming into summer now (is it really??? not in dublin it isnt, bloody 14' and raining today!!!) so shoudlnt be a huge issue from now on.

I've been so cold from the get go though. Even last Oct when we were on holidays in dubai (where the baby was conceived!) i was freezing. Hadnt done the test yet- was literally BALTIC and it was 28'C!!!

MorelloKisses Tue 13-May-14 15:09:01

I did at the beginning, it passes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now