Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to expect at 7.3 week scan?

(19 Posts)
Shazam24 Tue 13-May-14 05:09:53

Just what the title says, what should i expect to see at a 7.3 week scan? Will baby have a heartbeat? If they cant find a heartbeat at 7.3 weeks does that mean bad news? And will i have a normal ultra sound or will it be internal?

i had an early scan in july at 5 1/2 weeks before i miscarried but they couldn't see anything just thickening of my womb. That was a normal scan but then in october before i miscarried i had a vaginal scan at 6 weeks.

So because ive had both scans so early on in not sure which one ill have with this one?

thanks for reading x

ruthsmumkath Tue 13-May-14 05:19:46

Hi - by 7 weeks if you are 100 % sure on dates you should see a heartbeat. It is always possible to have ovulated late so I wouldn't say it's a panic situation if you can't though.

Good luck
Kathryn

ikeaismylocal Tue 13-May-14 05:26:11

I had a scan at 7ish weeks with ds, it was internal and I did see his heartbeat but if you don't see s heartbeat you could have ovulated late as the pp said.

Good luck!

bakingtins Tue 13-May-14 06:30:12

Up to 8 weeks I've had both sorts of scan every time, they usually try via tummy first but never see enough detail to do their measurements, so prepare yourself for fanny cam. If your dates are spot on there should be a HB at 7+ weeks, but as it's normally first visible between 6-7 weeks if you were a bit out there might not be, without it necessarily being bad news.

Good luck!

mssleepyhead Tue 13-May-14 06:34:24

I had my first scan at exactly 7.3. I saw a little jelly bean with a flicker in the middle - the heart beat. The scan was internal but fine. Good luck!

bakingmad83 Tue 13-May-14 11:25:19

I'm 7 weeks today and just back from a scan. I had some brown discharge over weekend, but saw a heartbeat on scan today smile I was surprised that they were able to do an abdominal scan, as had been expecting an internal. Good luck!

HappyAsASandboy Tue 13-May-14 11:35:13

I had a scan at 7 weeks exactly by my dates. It was abdominal and found a little fuzzy patch in the pregnancy sac, with a 2-pixel flicker of a heartbeat. She measured crown to rump length and dated at 6w 5d.

It was hard to see, and certainly not discernible as a baby. I couldn't have picked it out on screen without her help! But she didn't see the need for a vaginal scan as she was happy with what she saw via abdominal.

She did stress before the scan that she may not find a heartbeat so early and that it wouldn't necessarily be bad news if she didn't.

Good luck!

Woodl3s Tue 13-May-14 11:40:21

I had a scan at 6+6 and again at 7+5 and saw the heart beat both times. First one was an abdominal scan, second was vaginal. The sonographer also showed us the head/rump, where the brain is developing, etc on the second scan.
I had them both as reassuarance scans as I mc in Dec.
Its fantastic to see smile x

eurochick Tue 13-May-14 11:50:00

I've always had internal scans at that stage. You should be able to see a heartbeat if your dates are right.

Mybellyisaneasteregg Tue 13-May-14 11:54:00

I had a scan around this time. I saw the heart beat but nothing else so it was wasn't very reassuring iykwim, and I found it all quite stressful. At 12 weeks there is so much more to see. Good luck I hope it goes well for you flowers

Shazam24 Tue 13-May-14 13:32:16

Aw fantastic, thank you for the quick replies xx

Im not 100% on dates as i had my period 6th march for 5 days but then came on again 19 days later and only bled for 2 days so i could possibly be further on.

BakingMad I had red/brown discharge yesterday that's what made me ring for the scan, the woman said it was normal but because of previous miscarriges im frightened

aw thank you everyone you've all made me feel tons better. I wonder if sometimes i just like to worry lol xxx thanks again xxx

bakingmad83 Tue 13-May-14 16:03:45

Shazam hopefully your scan will help to put your mind at ease. I'd read so many places that brown discharge is normal, but rang midwife for reassurance, not really expecting to get referred for scan, though glad she did, as sure I'd have kept worrying till 12 week scan otherwise. x

VJONES1985 Tue 13-May-14 19:25:46

I had a scan at 7w 2d. It was internal and we saw a heartbeat. Here is my scan picture from then!

ikeaismylocal Tue 13-May-14 20:58:17

How lovely! Congratulations on the little beating heart smile

VJONES1985 Tue 13-May-14 21:57:04

I'm 26 weeks now :-)

Shazam24 Tue 13-May-14 21:59:20

BakingMad That's what im hoping. Yes ive read that it was normal too but didn't have it in my first pregnancy and did with miscarriges so as soon as i saw it i panicked. Was so pleased when she said i could come in on Friday smile

VJONES Aww wow that's a fantastic picture!! I worry every day and your picture has made me feel better about my baby smile No doubt ill be worrying again in an hour or so. Congratulations i bet your well chuffed

VJONES1985 Tue 13-May-14 22:05:14

You'll be fine, Shazam. I worried about my 7 week scan, my 12 week one and my 20 week one. But all of them were absolutely fine :-)

Shazam24 Tue 13-May-14 22:46:13

I hope so,my first pregnancy ended at 24 weeks then 2 miscarriges followed so im desperate for this one to be ok xx

Polkadotscarf Fri 16-May-14 07:37:55

My 7 week scan (due to bleeding) showed a little blob with a heart beat, very different to the little person we saw at 12 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now