Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Squishing baby in sleep???

(10 Posts)
mixi82 Mon 12-May-14 21:51:56

Hi all, probably a daft question but like to know I'm not the only one that feels this way or just a but of reassurance really.....

I'm 31wks and having a horrible time trying to get comfy to sleep. I can't lie on my left anymore as my hip that side can get quite painful and top of bum goes numb! is that normal??

Also try sleeping on my back, that's a no-no as baby kicks ribs and still hip is uncomfy.

So that leaves the right, which can be comfy most of the time but just when I get settled there, baby starts wriggling and kicking as if to say get off!! I'm just worried I'm going to squish baby, especially with all the movement. Is this actually possible? Just a mum-to -be concern, don't want to hurt my bubba

squizita Mon 12-May-14 22:01:49

As far as I know, either side is fine. Left is meant to be best but right also fine.

mssleepyhead Mon 12-May-14 22:39:19

I get the same when I sleep on my left. He pushes against my support pillow all night. I figure he must be ok in there though - he has lots of cushioning and the pillow isn't hard. Sometimes I worry mine will come out covered in bruises!

SuzanneSays Mon 12-May-14 23:00:41

I get the sore hip thing too-I found some gentle pregnancy yoga or stretching helps. I try to stick o my left side as have heard this is better for the baby and you. Apparently when you sleep on our back or right side the baby rests on a main vein that feeds the placenta and your legs.

Artistic Tue 13-May-14 00:25:17

With DC1 the sore hips were terrible! This time am sleeping on my left with knees bent & a thick pillow between my knees. Really works well & not much hip pain so far at 19w. I place one pillow on either side so that whichever way I turn I use the pillow. Give it a shot!

Hellymummy Tue 13-May-14 01:10:10

Ha ha this is something I always worry about, I can only sleep on my left hand side no other position is comfy and he is constantly digging and moving, I often wonder if he's telling me to move! I think they will be ok in there!!

squizita Tue 13-May-14 08:35:59

Apparently when you sleep on our back or right side the baby rests on a main vein that feeds the placenta and your legs.

It's just your back, and some women. The left side is said to be the best, but either side is fine: it is sleeping on your side that is recommended. If you rolled onto your back and your blood cut off it would hurt and you'd wake up anyway.
Annoyingly I cannot find any of the reliable sources I read this on (only babycentre which is vague and mentions the kidneys), but as I usually only use NCT, NHS and Mumsnet (to avoid googling etc') it will be here somewhere.

squizita Tue 13-May-14 08:45:03

I have found a FAQ about it. You'll notice it says side implying that sleeping on your side is best, but also that your body will move itself if there is a problem:
www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk/our-services/faqs-pregnancy.htm#q14

Also this Tesco one (not a great source but again, stresses that side is preferred, left side best):
www.tesco.com/babyclub/pregnancy/health_and_healthy_eating/pregnancy_sleep_tips.page

The study about the difference between left/right side sleeping was a small one in Australia in 2011. What if found was with right hand sleepers, 3/1000 lost babies to stillbirth/prem, with left hand sleepers, 2/1000. The difference was so tiny that it was likely not to be a factor in the majority of women, although one was higher than the other.

mixi82 Tue 13-May-14 09:00:16

Thanks squizita for looking into it. But my OP was being concerned about squishing baby and about my hip discomforts. I only wanted reassurance about whether I was squashing the baby when I was sleeping on my right as baby kicks and moves around a lot.

I know the NHS website says sleep how you're comfortable but right now I'm not comfortable sleeping in anything other than the right side but like I said, I feel as though the baby is getting squashed and wanted to see what others opinions were

squizita Tue 13-May-14 09:41:42

Mixi my response there was to another poster suggesting you cannot sleep on your right? As it's the only way you can?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now