Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anti-biotics in pregnancy

(9 Posts)
nc060 Mon 12-May-14 14:53:01

Does anyone know if these are safe? I just had a conversation with a very snippy midwife, I was asking if there is anything else I can take as I am currently choked with the cold, this is fine but the earache I have alongside it is AWFUL. I can hardly concentrate at work. She basically told me to go to my DR for anti-biotics but I thought these wernt safe in pregnancy? Im 24 weeks. xx

DinoSnores Mon 12-May-14 14:56:02

Almost all antibiotics are perfectly safe in pregnancy. There are some that should be avoided in the first trimester, like trimethoprim, as it counteracts folic acid, which you want to be high obviously, but most antibiotics are completely fine. If anything, an untreated infection is more concerning.

Seeline Mon 12-May-14 14:56:09

Some are OK. As long as your GP knows you are pg he should be able to find some that are suitable. I had ABs for whooping cough when I was pg with no side effects.

gunwalloe Mon 12-May-14 14:57:52

I'm currently on my second lot of antibiotics this pregnancy I'm 20 weeks and have a reoccurring tooth/gum infection

nc060 Mon 12-May-14 14:58:02

Thank you smile I will be going to GP tomorrow then! x

squizita Mon 12-May-14 16:49:31

Your GP will have a list of those that are and aren't. S/he will check the list and prescribe you something allowed.

Avoid google. It is full of unreliable information!

Weegiemum Mon 12-May-14 16:52:47

I was on daily low dose antibiotics right through 2 pregnancies due to a kidney problem. Your GP will be able to prescribe a safe one, if that's what you need, but be prepared to be told it's viral (which it probably is) and for the GP to be reluctant to prescribe any.

RAFWife12 Mon 12-May-14 17:06:16

GPs will prescribe a safe antibiotic if appropriate. When pregnant your immune system is lower, so infections can become more serious than if you werent pregnant.
However, as Weegie said, most of these things are viral so antibiotics are not appropriate. Best to get checked out just to be safe.

ralv Mon 12-May-14 20:35:37

If you're taking antibiotics it's so so important to take a probiotic afterwards as they kill off both the good and bad bacteria. They're totally safe through pregnancy and can improve immunity as well as reduce the risk of allergies and eczema in children. I'm a nutritional therapist and strongly urge all pregnant clients to take them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now