Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can someone reassure me about coming off progesterone suppositories?

(7 Posts)
moggle Tue 13-May-14 18:21:18

Another IVFer told that after 12 weeks progesterone suppositories have no effect on levels because of the placenta taking over. I stopped mine at 12weeks, glad to be shot of them! :-)

BeetlingAbout Tue 13-May-14 15:51:16

In both my IVF pregnancies I was only on progesterone until eight weeks. I freaked out about coming off each time but was told repeatedly that there was no evidence of it doing any good after that stage.

After 8/9 weeks the placenta takes over production.

I hope you get a call back soon.

eurochick Mon 12-May-14 11:41:41

I had progesterone following IVF and understand the feeling of it being a safety net. I tapered for a week I think from 12-13 weeks, and was glad to be shot of them after that! Some clinics stop them earlier than that.

I hope you can get hold of your consultant. If not, you might be able to persuade your GP to prescribe them for you?

squizita Mon 12-May-14 11:40:48

- ignore stories on the internet BTW!

Progesterone ALWAYS goes down when you miscarry (as opposed to a MMC) sadly. That's what makes the blood come out. It's the effect/symptom not the cause. As Born says, after that initial period your placenta starts making it so you no longer need it.

squizita Mon 12-May-14 11:38:50

Most consultants say progesterone only helps with initial implantation and early weeks - a few (with high success rates) won't use it at all!

It's interesting you were diagnosed this way for MMC. Progesterone is what prevents bleeding when you are pregnant: it dips before a naturally passing MC or a menstruation - with my MMC, the high progesterone was what prevented me miscarrying naturally.

So basically, after the first few weeks if everything is going well, you won't need progesterone any more! Unlike other meds (Clexane etc') it is almost always phased out, so try not to worry. smile

BornOfFrustration Mon 12-May-14 11:15:37

Congratulations on your pregnancy, I'm sorry your feeling like this.

I remember that feeling well, I was told to just stop when I ran out, just like that, no reducing the dose. 11-12 weeks I think I was. I was so anxious, I just wanted more, I'd have used them the whole pregnancy if I could have got my hands on them.

I think the placenta takes over progesterone production around this time, but because you feel anxious I'd keep phoning them, or go to see them, until they tell you it's ok to stop.

Hedgehead Mon 12-May-14 11:02:47

Exactly 11 weeks preg. Had MMC before due to low progesterone so was given progesterone suppositories when I got my BFP. Been taking 800mg a day and now associate them as the "magic" thing that has made this pregnancy happen. Gynaecologist said take them up to 12 weeks then start to taper them off slowly.

Yesterday I ran out of them suddenly and have been calling the Gynae and his secretary and no answer. Or someone picks up and says they'll call me back and they don't. I just want some more.

If I can't get them, can someone tell me it will be okay? I have seen stories on the internet of women miscarrying if their progesterone goes suddenly down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now