Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

First Consultant Appointment

(8 Posts)
dreamingofwineandcheese Sun 11-May-14 21:07:56

I have been referred to a consultant for this pregnancy (my second), I just wondered what to expect?

I had a natural birth with DS and everything was fine until the point he came out grey, not breathing and completely unresponsive. He had to be transferred for treatment at a bigger hospital, it was a very stressful time but thankfully he came out of it brilliantly and is now a very happy and healthy nearly two year old.

No reason can be given to why it happened, his heart rate was monitored all the way through delivery and was strong so it makes it hard for avoiding it this time around. The only thing that has been said is that he was a big baby at 9lb9oz and it could be that and shock as he was born quite quickly.

Has anyone got any experience of this? I don't want it put down to being 'one of those things'. I'm nervous of this baby being bigger as my bump is already bigger than at the same point with DS! I'm 22 weeks.

Hi dreaming I was referred to a consultant due to a completely different reason (I have heart murmur) I had this with DS which no one checked up on and had a perfect birth. Heart murmurs are generally nothing to worry about so I expected consultant to say everythings fine, go ahead and give birth the way you please. But she didn't and she thoroughly checked me and has now referred me for heart scans.

So from my one experience so far, they don't put things down to one of those things. I don't think people are sent to consultants for no reason, so i guess they tend to look into the situation in detail.

Also, if you are worried - write down what you are worried about, what you want to know, what you want from the appointment and go in prepared with all your questions and queries so you come out satisfied. Tell the consultant what they have mentioned about perhaps it was due to baby being big and that you are concerned this baby may be big too, if not bigger.

Good luck thanks

Boogles91 Sun 11-May-14 21:45:10

Im under consultant led care due to my kidney probs. and my first appointment i had 4 ladies and the midwife. Took me by suprise as to hiw many poeple there was. I had no problems with them and they focus more on you than the baby, especially if your little ones in good health. Im being well looked after and havent had any oroblems so far, im due to see them again on the 28th this month and cant wait as i hate not knkwing whats going to happen x

dreamingofwineandcheese Sun 11-May-14 22:08:37

Thank you for your replies you have made me feel less anxious about it. I suppose that the consultants we have seen for DS were more concerned for his health rather than wondering why it happenned so could just be I haven't seen the right person yet!

Good idea about writing my questions and concerns down I will definitely do that.

Thanks again

Missteacake Mon 12-May-14 11:29:42

Hey dreaming the best advice I could give is don't work yourself up. I did as I had a horrid birth first time round so wanted a ELCS this time. I work myself up so much reading about my rights, forums on demanding sections writing down my thoughts when I walked in the consultant said said what do you want, I told him then burst out crying as he said alright whatever you decide. It was so much stress for nothing! It's good to order your thoughts so you know when you go in but it's only a conversation no need to draw up battle plans liked I did. My DH had to explain to the consultant I wasn't mad just very anxious the consultant laughed and said most people were scared to see him but really he's a very nice man!
Good luck

nc060 Mon 12-May-14 16:03:51

I'm consultant led following a complication found at 20 week scan. I was very anxious before the appointment but I really like my consultant and find I get MUCH more information about what is really going on than the midwife can give me which puts my mind massively at ease as I love nothing more than finding something to stress over but he has told me all the pros and cons of the current situation. PLUS he scans me everytime so I have already seen our baby 2 more times than I would in a normal pregnancy(luckily at the minute it is not a major problem so it is just nice to see Junior) xx

dreamingofwineandcheese Mon 12-May-14 20:50:38

Thank you ladies you really have made me feel so much better. I think because it has all been so vague so far it's made me nervous it will continue like that. Fingers crossed I will get some answers tomorrow.

dreamingofwineandcheese Tue 13-May-14 11:47:26

Just thought I would update. I had my appointment this morning and the consultant was really nice. Asked what they could do to support me and what my concerns were. They are giving me a GTT at 28 weeks and then a growth scan at 36 weeks to check the size of baby and will go from there. I can have a natural delivery but they will monitor extra closely.

All in all I feel relieved they have listened to me and I feel they are doing as much as they can at this stage. I feel so relieved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now