Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

feeling upset at Mum not understanding my needs

(5 Posts)
Chloris33 Sun 11-May-14 19:44:39

8 weeks pregnant, feeling sick most of the time, sometimes very light-headed/dizzy too, which also makes me feel ill, and also v low-energy and easily tired. Got a lot of demanding work commitments I have to get through during the week, and weekends off feel like a life-saver. Next weekend I have to work all day on Saturday, a 60 mile commute. Then was going to drive to Mum's which is another 2 hour drive, to stay with her for rest of the weekend and help out with a big garage sale she is having. I called her today to say I'm worried I won't be feeling up to it, as really struggling, and she made me feel so guilty saying that because she lives alone she manages everything alone but this is one thing she does really need help with. That she doesn't usually ask for help but this time she did because she really needs it. She was also upset that this means I'll be missing to a concert she is singing in in the evening. My sister will be going and will be there helping out at the garage sale, but Mum says she needs more help, that it won't be enough. I won't be much help if I'm feeling really ill! But I guess my husband can help if he comes with me. Feeling sorry for Mum because it is tough for her living alone, but also feeling upset that she's not being a bit more caring about me needing some rest. Agreed to do it and worried I'm going to be exhausted by it all.

eurochick Sun 11-May-14 20:05:45

Do you have a partner? Can't you go but make him to the driving and helping with the garage sale?

RedPony Sun 11-May-14 22:06:51

Does your mum know your pregnant? Your baby is your number 1 priority now and you need to look after yourself so you can keep baby nice and cosy. If you don't feel up to going then you need to do what's best for you. Could you maybe get your DH to drive you there later on for the concert? or get him to get stuck in with the garage sale so you can sneak off for a rest?

woodlandwanderwoman Sun 11-May-14 22:53:55

If you've agreed then the best thing is to do what you can (no more). Your mum probably feels like she needs your support more than your actual help. If it's too much, I agree asking a partner to go would be a great middle ground. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Chloris33 Tue 13-May-14 15:31:18

Thanks guys, good suggestion. Hubby has agreed to drive and help Mum, so that makes things a bit easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now