Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Newly Pregnant, everything seems terrifying!

(7 Posts)
Donkle Sun 11-May-14 18:59:04

Hello,

I've been reading through various forums online and decided to join mumsnet owing largely to the support and friendliness of everyone, so here goes...

My husband and I have been ttc for over a year and I recently fell pregnant, I'm around 5 weeks now but don't see my doctor until Thursday. We're both over the moon and I can't wait until I have the energy to show it more and share my news post 12 weeks with family and friends.

However I feel so ridiculously poorly, the only comparable experience is flu or the nori virus. Is how I'm feeling normal? I've had a blasting migraine since Friday, have slept 14 hours a day since then and can only stomach porridge and salted crisps. I've not actually been sick but my mouth is constantly salivating as if I'm going to be and the nausea is so draining. I couldn't sleep last night as my headache woke me and I sat with my head over a bucket for an hour convinced it was coming any second.

Has anyone else had similar experiences at 5 weeks? I've got to go back to work tomorrow for the first time since it kicked in, I work as a secondary school teacher and am terrified I'm going to projectile on some poor teenager or give the whole thing away looking as rough as I do. Classy eh'

Knowing how I'm feeling is normal would mean the world to mean and probably help me get some rest tonight. Everything is scaring the pants off me.

Sam

squizita Sun 11-May-14 19:40:57

Yeah I was sick as a dog in my 1st trimester. Had to keep going to the "book cupboard" (is loo to puke) so often I had to let my LM know the deal confidentially.

I found very dry savoury foods, little and often, helped. Oatcakes, crisps, ryvita minis and so on.

RAFWife12 Sun 11-May-14 19:41:27

First of all - Congratulations!
Secondly - unfortunately, yes, this is normal! The best way to think of it, is that it's all due to the hormones and generally is a good sign (although, lack of symptoms is totally normal too).
You can take paracetamol to help with the headache - but no ibuprofen. Keep yourself hydrated, eat little and often of what you can stomach. Often the nausea is due to hunger - never let your stomach get empty.
It will end eventually!

Missingcaffeine Sun 11-May-14 19:52:49

Congratulations!! and yes, I felt exactly the same.
Everyone's different, but for me weeks 5-9 were the worst (you do find ways to help manage it though), 9-14 had good days and bad days, 14-18 just tired a lot but otherwise felt good.
I'm now 21 weeks and feeling almost normal again since 18 weeks, but now my bump is starting to slow me down, but it's soooo much easier than that first bit which seemed to last forever!
I spent years looking forward to being pregnant, and having bump envy when I passed someone pregnant on the street, but whilst chuffed I am pregnant, I can't say I've enjoyed the experience! But, it does get better I promises and it will be worth it in the end!! smile
And mums net is great for support.
RAF is right, I found nausea worse when I was dehydrated or hadn't eaten, so try to drink loads and eat regularly. Just have whatever you fancy, but remember if the only thing you can face is fizzy drinks (I had loads of diet coke and flavoured fizzy water) look after your teeth as they are softer in pregnancy.

Donkle Sun 11-May-14 20:40:43

Thanks ladies this has really helped, I certainly don't want people to be feeling as grim as I am right now but it's reassuring to know that you all are or did!

Paracetamol check, crackers by bedside check, total heap load of water - I'm on it!

I don't want to tell anyone until after 12 weeks, I think mainly due to my own crazy superstition (touch wood) so I'm gonna have to get a grip and learn how to manage this smile

mssleepyhead Sun 11-May-14 20:55:32

i'm also a secondary school teacher and felt a lot like you do from weeks 6 - about 15... if it helps, i actually felt better on school days. i think on a weekend i was so tired i just collapsed but when i was at school the kids distracted me and kept me going. it feels like it lasts forever but it does get better! i made it by snacking often and wearing comfortable clothes (i couldn't have anything touching my tummy, like tights). you can do it! and just keep telling yourself: it will pass.
good luck!

ohthegoats Sun 11-May-14 22:01:03

Yes felt the same until 11 weeks. Also a teacher, used to leave at 4 to go home for a nap before working again in the evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now