Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If I'm only 6 weeks pregnant...

(4 Posts)
BilboTheAlmighty Sun 11-May-14 16:46:18

... how come my uterus is already stretching?

It may seem like a silly question but if it's still a poppy seed, why does the uterus needs to stretch NOW? I know it has to stretch at some point, but why so early?

After all, even a bean could comfortably fit into a uterus. Or is the body just training?

I'd be really grateful if someone had a scientific explanation smile

VJONES1985 Sun 11-May-14 16:48:34

I think it's to prepare for the amniotic fluid and also to allow for growth. The uterus needs to stretch ahead of the baby growing to give the baby plenty of room.

winnertakesitall Sun 11-May-14 16:50:39

Not a scientific explanation- but I think the body goes into overdrive early on... i.e. whilst the bean is small, get to it on uterus stretching- as later on body, you'll have to focus more on growing the baby!! A font of knowledge me wink

BilboTheAlmighty Sun 11-May-14 20:11:03

VJONES I had no idea the amniotic fluid came so early. I googled it and it's amazing! I have no ordered My Pregnancy Day by Day (or something similar) to be a bit more au fait!

winner It actually makes sense. Prepare before the baby gets too big and the pregnancy is too demanding on the uterus.

I'm glad I asked. Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now