Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm pregnant for the first time!

(15 Posts)
nonames1 Sun 11-May-14 12:53:43

Hi, I'm new to the forum and still trying to figure out how it all works! My husband and I have been trying for our first baby for the last couple months but we thought it would probably take a while cause I've been under a lot of stress at work which has been taking its toll on my body and mind. Then low and behold, I took a test yesterday after my period was late and it was positive! Couldn't believe it so took another today and it's still positive, so I must be 4 weeks 3 days pregnant! I have no idea what to do now!!! It doesn't feel real although some of the symptoms I've been having make sense now (I just thought it was extreme reaction to stress). I assume I should see a Dr as soon as I can. It's all so new! shock

mssleepyhead Sun 11-May-14 12:58:31

congratulations! first timer here too. call your doctors and ask what they do. everywhere seems to be different but for me i had a gp appointment early, just to get me in the system, but then my next scheduled appointment was week 10 when i had my first midwife appointment (called your booking in appointment - lots of paperwork!), then a scan at 13 weeks. give your gp a call tomorrow and find out what happens in your area; in some places you don't see the gp and just skip straight to the midwife. it's a bit of an anticlimax, i found, for the first few weeks, but once you get around week 12 and having appointments and scans things start feeling more real!

WolfMoon Sun 11-May-14 13:42:44

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum! thanks

Give your GP a ring, they will advise you on what the next steps in your area are.

nonames1 Sun 11-May-14 19:15:58

Aww thank you guys! I know what you mean about it not feeling quite real, I'll call my GP tomorrow. Thanks!

PisforPeter Sun 11-May-14 19:22:31

Congratulations, it's such a special time. I assume you're taking folic acid. You can look at patient.co.uk to get advice about things to avoid in your diet etc X

Missingcaffeine Sun 11-May-14 19:31:49

Congratulations!!
I would read all the nhs advice pages on foods to avoid etc, as I thought I knew, and got lots of incorrect advice from others in the early days, and wish I'd read the proper guidance as I avoided things I could have eaten.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close
and some of the other pages on advice re pregnancy.
Make sure you are taking folic acid or a vitamin containing folic acid.
The first thing in terms of getting into the system, is to let your GP know, but most GP's will not want to see you until you're around 6 weeks. Then they will ask you where you want to have your baby - if there is a choice locally - so start researching (use mums net and ask around and maybe even visit local units - most have open days). My GP expected me to have chosen where I wanted baby the first time I saw GP at 6 weeks and I didn't know. You can change where you have chosen, it just causes more work for the GP.
Then most people see a midwife for the first time between 6-12 weeks - this varies according to where you live and where you choose to have baby. Most areas it is around 8 weeks. Your GP will let you know how this works in your area.
You have 2 scans: one around 12 weeks known as dating scan to check baby has heartbeat and give you a more accurate due date. Next around 20 weeks to check baby is healthy, known as anomaly scan. These scans can be a bit earlier or later, and again vary depending on how busy your local unit is.
All the best!!

nonames1 Sun 11-May-14 20:04:39

So many helpful responses thank you! Yes I've been taking folic acid for a few months in preparation and just swapped to a pregnancy vitamin thingy which has folic acid and a few other vitamins. Thank you to the link for foods as I've already noticed there's different info in different places.

Can't believe this is happening!

splendide Sun 11-May-14 20:22:51

First time here to! I'm 17 weeks now. It dragged so badly for me until 12 weeks but seems to be moving faster now. I'm still worried all the time though!

AuntieStella Sun 11-May-14 20:42:07

Congratulations!

One important thing to do is go over to the MN antenatal clubs and join the chat thread for your due date. (The chat can be invaluable, and it's not obvious that it's all in a separate place - but it needs to be or this topic would be swamped).

Boogles91 Sun 11-May-14 22:03:14

Congrats smile i was the same with both my pregnancys(1st resulted in mc) just thought the things i was feeling were down to me just being ill lol i hadnt thought that i could be preggers, also dint want to get my hopes up as wed only just started trying again after a year since loosing first babba. When i first thought about doing a test i kept sayin naah, but the. I thought back to my period how my boobs had gone back to normal afterwards and all of sudden swelled up again. Hope everything goes well for you both smile x

nonames1 Mon 12-May-14 18:50:09

Thank you both for the positivity, and the signposting!

Em03 Wed 14-May-14 14:40:20

Just found out too that I am 5 weeks and 5 days today!!

So exciting and also so nervous!

Been to seen my doctor today too and it's all confirmed and also had a early pregnancy scan yesterday because I am classed as a high risk pregnancy.

So exciting though! Can't wait for the 12 week scan/stage.

haquoi123 Wed 14-May-14 16:20:11

Hi all, I'm brand-new here as well. Congratulations on your pgs! The advice above is really helpful, thanks!

I found out yesterday that I'm pregnant, first month of trying (which was a shock as I have suspected endometriosis). It's still really early as the vertical line on the test (3 tests!) was really faint - I initially thought it was negative, but done tests before and never had any hint of a line. I definitely feel pg, cramping for a week and no period. Possibly about 4 weeks? OH spent spent an hour researching positive tests before he'd believe me and he still is being cautious!

I'm excited but really want to tell someone, mum or sister, but also feel like it's counting my chickens if I do. What do you think?

Em03 Wed 14-May-14 17:09:25

haquoi123

Many congratulations!! It's so exciting isn't it!
I still can't believe it either and found out last week.

My other half also couldn't believe it. I've shared the news with our parents as all so close, cousin and sister in law. Just needed to tell a few people for it too try and sink in some more for me.

I have also found this thread today which is for mums that have also found out that are due with a new year and new baby!

This is the link www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/2079127-January-2015-New-Year-New-Baby-New-Thread-2?pg=5&order= Been fab reading other peoples comments.

XxX

haquoi123 Wed 14-May-14 20:15:47

Thanks for the link Em03 and congratulations! I get what you mean about it sinking in - my OH is trying not to get too excited as its so early, so I keep second guessing whether it's true. But I caved and told my Mum who did the appropriate amount of squealing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now