Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

How to/what do i need for breastfeeding??

(28 Posts)
daisycupcake Sat 10-May-14 22:43:12

Hi, im pregnant with dd2, I really would like to breastfeed this time around as I never got the chance with dd1 due to complications. My question is, what do I need to breastfeed? what products do people recommend to have to make the process easier? Noone in my family has ever breastfed and neither have any of my friends so really don't know where to start and my midwife isn't all that great either- appointments are generally in and out and I usually have dd1 with me whos crying and in a rush to get home. Any advice would be greatly received :D

seasaltbaby Sun 11-May-14 18:51:16

I found the breast 'shells' you can get helpful in the early days/weeks whilst establishing feeding. They allow your nipples to 'breathe' in-between feeds & I think helps reduce cracked/sore nipples. Not absolutely essential but might come in handy to start with. Good luck!

midnight1983 Sun 11-May-14 19:37:58

Where I live there is a breastfeeding consultant attached to the local children's centre and she came to my home and talked it through with me. I was given her number by my health visitor, but you can probably research this through your midwife before your little one arrives. Defo second breastfeeding pillow and a big v shaped pillow to lean on on the bed or sofa. I took in some pre prepared formula and a pre sterilised bottle to the hospital just so I knew I had a back up plan, I didn't need to use it in the end but knowing it was there lessened my anxiety. Also, get a breast pump and some bottles that are for breastfed babies (along the lines if tommee tippee closer to nature ones, as this will afford you some freedom when you're ready for it as well as shared night feeds and the chance to where something non breastfeeding when you go out. Good luck with it, I hope it works out as it's a great feeling and best of all, free grin

CelticPromise Sun 11-May-14 21:34:29

You don't need a steriliser. If you find you need to sterilise cold water and Milton will do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now