Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice on requesting an earlier induction date

(19 Posts)
HowAboutNo Sat 10-May-14 16:26:04

Just diagnosed with GD at 37.5 weeks. I know induction is on the cards, I have an appointment next week at 38w to go over my blood sugars (we will only have two days worth of blood sugar readings then) but as far as my last MW appointment, baby is measuring fine.

I already have another condition that became apparent during this pregnancy but I'm on medication for it and it wasn't going to affect the pregnancy once under control.

However - I can't deal with the anxiety this GD diagnosis has brought - I'm really scared and struggling to eat as I'm worried my blood sugars will affect the baby.

They say I will be induced latest by my due date, but can I just tell them how stressed out I am and ask to be induced next week? I can't take two more weeks of this anxiety.

Thank you thanks

crazycatwoman Sat 10-May-14 17:08:08

I don't know about asking for an earlier induction, but round here they like you to deliver by 39 wks if you have GD (as I do). Last time they took me in at 38 wks.

I asked for an induction at 38 weeks as I had been in on off labour for weeks and weeks and it was affecting my mental health, including fears for the baby. I got one, the same day.

There is no harm in asking and make sure you explain exactly how you feel.

RandomMess Sat 10-May-14 17:15:29

Having had 4 inductions I would advise you to weigh up the pros and cons carefully. The earlier the induction the much longer and protracted and nearer to having to have a c-section I got!

Personally I found it helped just having the date in the diary as it was something concrete to focus on admist all the uncertainty.

HowAboutNo Sat 10-May-14 17:22:02

Thank you for the replies - random I have been looking up all the old threads on here on inductions and some sound v scary... But I just feel so stressed out about the fact that this has gone undetected until now. God knows what will happen.

crazycatwoman did they induce at 38w because of your numbers or the size of the baby, or just because?

VJONES1985 Sat 10-May-14 18:01:47

OP Are you on insulin? I have type 1 diabetes and the best tip I can give you is to have A LOT of it whilst pregnant as your requirements go up. I'm being induced at 38 weeks and, apart from it sometimes being an uncomfortable/lengthy process, I haven't exactly heard horror stories about it. However, I'm sure an induction next week wouldn't be off the cards completely?

HowAboutNo Sat 10-May-14 18:19:18

I can't be on insulin now as they say it would be completely pointless because it's too late. I really hope they agree to do it next week.

VJONES1985 Sat 10-May-14 18:24:04

I see. As you've only just been diagnosed with it, hopefully that means it's actually only just appeared. I can imagine how you're feeling about it all. Hopefully you can discuss it with a doctor or midwife asap.

hubbahubster Sat 10-May-14 18:56:26

I had GD in my last pg and it's really not that big a deal. How are your sugars? As long as they're within limits and baby is measuring fine, there's no reason to believe you've damaged your baby and no reason for early induction waiter. Please don't panic.

I was diagnosed at 28 weeks and despite measuring 8lbs at 38 weeks, DC1 was actually 6lb 13oz and perfectly healthy to boot. He's had no adverse affects from the GD (although I ate ice cream and chocolate like it was going out of fashion while pg).

hubbahubster Sat 10-May-14 18:57:03

*waiter = either

HowAboutNo Sun 11-May-14 09:38:20

Thanks hubba that's reassuring. Just hate having to wait to speak to someone about it all!

allisgood1 Sun 11-May-14 09:43:26

You can ask based on anxiety levels. I was induced at 38 weeks with DD2 due to size, but in my notes they've written it was maternal anxiety.

BEEwitched Sun 11-May-14 11:01:55

I would say if you are that anxious about it it's worth having a discussion with your consultant about it - depending on how your GD develops it can really go either way. I was diagnosed at 28 weeks and haven't had high readings, baby is on 50th percentile so I am planning on not having the induction on my due date if things stay like this (and he doesn't come beforehand, though that would still be my ideal scenario!).

Other ladies at my GD clinic got so fed up with their varying sugar levels and the worry and appointments (not sure what your area is like, I have one day at the hospital every week with several appointments, it takes 3-4 hours) that they had their inductions brought forward to 38 or 39 weeks.

It really seems to be one of those things that is very individual and where the outcome is open to discussion.

HowAboutNo Sun 11-May-14 13:02:01

That sounds promising allisgood and beewitched - I already have anxiety stated in my notes from when I was diagnosed with something else earlier in the pregnancy so hopefully they will listen to how I'm feeling.

allisgood1 Sun 11-May-14 14:29:58

Every appointment you go to make it clear how anxious you are. You will get what you want in the end (if its whats best for you and baby).

hubbahubster Sun 11-May-14 19:11:28

I've refused the GTT this pg (now 37 weeks) as the whole GD diagnosis and extra appointments stressed me out so much last time - even though my sugars were fine, I had a fortnightly appointment at a massively oversubscribed clinic with a minimum two-hour wait, only to be told I was fine and to come back in two weeks. So I totally understand how this must be making your existing anxiety worse. But there seems to be a lot of scaremongering in the NHS in general about GD, when actually it is controllable and in fact there are lots of different levels. You may not need medication, and even if you do, you'll be able to get it and baby will be well.

I'm monitoring my own blood sugars this time so I don't have to go through the same stresses again. My consultant has ordered extra scans for me to check baby's growth, but she's 60th centile and I feel so much more in control this time around. I'm so glad I voiced my concerns early in this pg (since I had GD last time, the hospital wanted me to do a four-weekly GTT - er, no...) so please don't be afraid to speak out about your worries.

Pregnantagain7 Sun 11-May-14 19:29:49

I had gd with my second pregnancy. I was induced at 38 weeks exactly. I was told that I had the option to be induced from 38 weeks and i said yes please and they booked me in the week before.
I had no other complications with it other than a huge bump due to polyhydramnious (sp?) but even that was reasonably under control and not a major concern. I think at my hospital it is policy to offer from 38 weeks so I think your request is totally reasonable.
Do you have excess waters? I was told this can be dangerous if your waters go naturally because the risk of a prolapsed cord is much higher,I was told to call an ambulance if they went or get to hospital immediately.
Not saying this to frighten you but if you do have excess waters this is an excellent reason why you would want an earlier induction. smile

HowAboutNo Mon 12-May-14 14:06:33

I'm not sure re: excess waters as I've not been scanned since 30 weeks as this is a new diagnosis so hopefully they will do that tomorrow. My bloods are fine today, and they are basing their decision on just my bloods from today... So I don't think I'm going to get induced anytime soon, which is upsetting. I'm not sure how much they'll listen to my concerns and how anxious I am, we'll see tomorrow.

Pregnantagain7 Mon 12-May-14 14:14:58

Hi I've seen my consultant this morn and we were discussing induction. I had gd with my second pregnancy and not my third but my third was a big baby and this puts me at even greater risk of gd in this pregnancy so I'm being closely monitored.
I asked about induction if I do get gd and she said at 38 weeks because gd babies tend to put weight on around their shoulders during last couple of weeks, obviously this puts them at higher risks of shoulder distocia (sp?). Hope everything goes well for you when you see the consultant, I think if the scan shows excess waters or a the baby is a bit big ( both common with gd as I'm sure you already know!) they will offer you earlier induction. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now