Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Left kidney(?) Pain immediately after urinating

(6 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Sat 10-May-14 06:53:36

I'm 16w tomorrow. My bladder has been playing up a bit generally over the last few weeks. I had a urine test a week ago which was clear. I think the conclusion was that I was dehydrated and just had an irritable bladder, so I'm now trying to drink more.

Last night I woke up with a pain over the left side of my back just under my rib. Kind of where I imagine a kidney would be.

I went for a wee, the pain got a bit worse and then eased up completely.

This morning I woke up with no pain but a full bladder. Did another wee and the pain on the left side returned.

I've done a bit of googling and it looks like it could either be infection or a kidney stone. I feel completely well in myself, no fever, no stinging when I urinate... no signs of infection at all, just this pain during/after urination.

So maybe it's a kidney stone?

It's only happened twice so I'm not going to rush to hospital or anything. Was curious to know if any of you recognise this kind of pain?

ALifeOfPie Sat 10-May-14 07:01:53

When I had a UTI when pregnant and went to the GP, their biggest questions were about whether I had any pain in that area as that would suggest a kidney infection which can be very serious when pg (I had no such pain but was quizzed on it in great detail by 3 different medical types so I remember it being a big deal). I would go to a GP asap. It may be nothing but you need to be on the safe side.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 10-May-14 07:09:16

Typical this would happen on a Saturday!! I feel really well, I'd be shocked if I had an infection. But I see what you mean, no point in taking a risk. I don't think my local MIU opens till 10am so I'll see how it feels over the next few trips to the toilet.

VaselineOnToast Sat 10-May-14 08:20:36

Call the NHS 111 service or NHS24 if you're in Scotland. They'll possibly be able to refer you to your local out-of-hours service. You don't want to leave a kidney issue for long... I did and my right kidney was destroyed by an infection. It now only functions at 23%. If it's an infection, or looks like it'll develop into one, you need antibiotics ASAP.

Boogles91 Sat 10-May-14 23:59:14

iv have hydronephrosis atm, wich is a blocked kidney and my pain is getting worse. ive got to have a nephrostomay tube fitted at some point to drain the kidney. go get checked out,, as its dangerous if it is a stone, ad baby will be putting more n more pressure on them. i do know your pain as ive suffered with my kidneys my whole life and as ive saod ny right one is agony! x

BumpNGrind Sun 11-May-14 01:03:05

OP please take the advice of others here, but just to share...

I've had the same kind of pain, at the same time in my pregnancy, the baby is growing very quickly and your body is adjusting to its new job, this can put pressure on your kidneys and you can easily become dehydrated. My pain was very quickly resolved with a bottle of water. I've had this checked with midwife and urine samples.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now