Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waiting to move house - slow solicitors - 36 weeks pregnant frustrated

(24 Posts)
Delicatebluebutterfly Fri 09-May-14 14:04:07

Feel so helpless about our soon to be house move. People keep saying chill out babies are mobile and you won't need nursery for months just a Moses basket etc etc, does anyone understand how frustrating this is?? It is my first baby I suppose...

moomin35 Fri 09-May-14 15:09:33

I can't say anything to help im afraid but I completely "get" your frustration!! id be the same! Good luck grin

Delicatebluebutterfly Fri 09-May-14 15:24:15

Thank you very much for responding, it's a hard one. Nobody seems to be able to help.

ClaretAndBlue30 Fri 09-May-14 18:22:02

I sympathise - I'm only 19 weeks so s long way off still but we're currently 6 months into a house buying process that's seen us lose 2 houses and are now on our 3rd...the slowness is driving me crazy!

Good luck, it will be fine. I know someone who ended up moving when their baby was a month old and they're still here to tell the tale!

chestnutmare Fri 09-May-14 18:25:31

I can sympathise! Currently packing up our house, we're moving on 4th July and I'm due middle of June (currently 34+5)! Getting a removal company to do most of the work so I'm hoping it will be a smooth move!

Monkeybrain10 Fri 09-May-14 18:40:06

I totally get it...feeling the same way after months of our flat sale rumbling on we finally completed then our rental fell through so now 33weeks and homeless! The people we're buying from refuse to give us a date so just as everyone says we should get that nesting instinct, we can't nest! It's crap! Good luck and try to chill (that's what i keep telling myself too!!).

RedPony Fri 09-May-14 18:54:26

I feel your pain! I'm 31 weeks and have been waiting for our moving date since January! its stressing me out so much and I should be enjoying my nice new home and decorating baby's room but I can't sad we are also living with DP's parents and I'm starting to worry about what we are going to do when baby gets here as I don't think they will appreciate a screaming new born every night.
Good luck with your move and I hope you get a date soon!thanks

Delicatebluebutterfly Fri 09-May-14 19:16:10

Wow! Thanks everyone for your stories. It's quite reassuring that I'm not the only one as that's what it feels like. Some of you are a lot worse off than me so maybe I should be grateful. Thanks again for your thoughts. Hopefully we should have news on Monday.

AlwaysDancing1234 Fri 09-May-14 20:26:45

Totally understand your frustration, we have just completed our move and I'm nearly 34 weeks. I was desperate to start getting the new house organised ready for the baby, won't feel right til I'm sorted although I know the baby won't be here for another 6 weeks (or more if overdue like DS was).
All I can say is keep nagging at your solicitors, daily, and make it clear you are expecting a baby very soon and it's imperative that they hurry things along. I found it helped to chase up by email asking them to confirm exactly what needed to be done and how long it would take.

Delicatebluebutterfly Sat 10-May-14 09:08:10

Thanks Always Dancing, I'm beginning to chase daily now and seem to be getting somewhere. Also communicating by email is better, then I have proof of what is being said too. Hope you are getting on ok with your house and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

MrsA2 Sat 10-May-14 09:48:10

I feel your pain too - we finally got in two weeks ago when I was 30 weeks. We used packers as well as removals and in your situation (baby imminent or possibly here) I couldn't recommend it enough. It wasn't that much more expensive than the actual removal part was.

chestnutmare Sat 10-May-14 12:05:03

Agree with MrsA2 about the packing, we are having the removal company pack up the whole of our downstairs and it's only costing an extra £100!

alita7 Sat 10-May-14 12:24:48

I totally empathise! I'm only 14 weeks but we moved to a new place in November and it was newly decorated and looked lovely! Turns out it wasn't damp proofed at all as it wasn't built for residential.... so we've got damp everywhere including coming up through the carpets and the land lord says it isn't his fault... obviously damp coming up less than a month after we moved in wasn't indicative of a structural problem!

Problem is it was a years contract, I wanted a 6 month contract but we were in a rush as dsd was coming to live with us imminently so took the first place we found that looked good. So we can't leave until 1st November and I'm due on the 6th... we're going to try and negotiate cutting the contract early as I cannot bring a baby here!

AlwaysDancing1234 Sun 11-May-14 04:06:29

Thanks butterfly we are setting in well now. Hope you get somewhere with your move soon, just keep on nagging them!

HotMommy Sun 11-May-14 17:22:05

I moved house at 37 weeks for the same reason - slow solicitors etc.. We put the pressure on by telling the sellers that if we didn't have an exchange date within 3 days then we would be forced to delay by 2 months due to baby coming - so they put a stick up their solicitors a$$ and got it sorted after that. In the end it was fine. We hired movers and they agreed to pack up our whole house and move everything without us if I happened to go into labour early. In the end we were fine and baby came on time. I had already started maternity leave so spent three weeks sorting out the house at my leisure with lots of naps in between. It wasn't 100% done when baby arrived but it didn't matter at all. Hubby did a lot of house stuff while on paternity leave while bub and I were sleeping/feeding etc. the only thing I would recommend is for you to have as much help as possible when you move to get everything sorted quickly, you might not feel like doing anything yourself.

Delicatebluebutterfly Mon 12-May-14 10:00:53

Wow - again so many of you have far more complicated situations than me and are or have survived it! Maybe I've just got to toughen up a bit. As for the moving of stuff, yeah, we were going to just hire a van and a couple of friends were going to chip in, but now we have hiring proper van and men! Luckily the house we've bought is in a good state with nothing to do to it. I've been through plenty of house moves with my parents and one of my own so I know it can be long just not when you are about to bring a new life in to the world! Today is the day that we should find out if the last piece of paperwork is enough to exchange. How long usually after exchange should we be moving, I heard it can be very quick?

MrsA2 Mon 12-May-14 19:45:40

We completed two weeks after exchange but it depends on you and the rest of the chain. We proposed two dates that suited us and the rest of the chain agreed the Friday - if you think you are close you could either suggest a date (I found it helped focus the solicitors, or at least it felt like it!) or say 'x days after exchange'.

How did you get on today with the paperwork?

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 12-May-14 20:00:37

Sounds like things are moving in the right direction butterfly. We exchanged on a Friday and completed the following Tuesday so pretty quick in our case.
You are nearly there now, fingers crossed you'll be in your new home and 'nesting' like mad very soon!

Artistic Mon 12-May-14 20:17:15

Same story here. 2 purchases fell through. Now house hunting at 19 weeks. Given the market, don't have high hopes of moving before the baby comes. There's just enough space for a Moses basket here. grin

Delicatebluebutterfly Tue 13-May-14 08:22:13

Paperwork was meant to be agreed and sorted yesterday. The vendors solicitor still holding things up. My partner is finding it difficult to phone from work now as constantly on phone chasing. I was the one doing all the phoning before but he doesn't want me to do it now because I get too wound up. We are trying again today. I don't think we are far away, but I refuse to get my hopes up any more.

Delicatebluebutterfly Tue 13-May-14 08:24:54

Artistic - gosh you have been through it! You seem like you are just settling for what ever may happen now. We thought worst case scenario we just have to unpack baby boxes get Moses and bedside crib out and wait. So I suppose it can be done.

I'm not pregnant ( have 2 teens )

Our last move , we exchanged on the Wednesday , and moved on Friday .

We had men and a van ( they whined about how much stuff we had , we had lived there for 11 years , of course we had stuff , that's why we hired "professionals " )

Even with the help , I was so tired at the end of moving day I could have slept on a stony ground !

Artistic Tue 13-May-14 08:56:22

Delicate - don't want to take too much stress, but with the market being what it is, can't delay the house purchase any longer. Also I have the added bonus of moving DC1's school depending on where we move! Joy!

RedPony Fri 16-May-14 17:13:48

How's the move going op any news? We finally have our moving date after 5 months of waiting grin everyone in the park must of thought I was a right wierdo when DP phoned to tell me and I was jumping up and down screaming lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now