Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Induction post 41 weeks

(5 Posts)
moomin35 Fri 09-May-14 11:57:22

When would induction past 41 weeks be done and what are the advantages or disadvantages?

DinoSnores Fri 09-May-14 21:19:24

The main disadvantage repeated here is that the risk of complications is higher. Surprisingly, there are fewer sections with induction!

"A policy of labour induction compared with expectant management is associated with fewer perinatal deaths and fewer caesarean sections."

from the Cochrane Review looking at post-dates induction of labour.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22696345

The risk of the placenta failing increases from about 10 days overdue (possibly earlier in older women or women with diabetes), which can lead to the death of the baby. Different hospitals will have different policies about when to bring women in for induction. Often just because of the numbers of women, they will leave it until 40+12 or 40+14, unless there are other concerns.

The RCOG/NICE guidelines go through things nicely: publications.nice.org.uk/induction-of-labour-cg70

TimeToThinkOfYourFuture Fri 09-May-14 21:25:43

I was induced at 41 plus 10, then again at 11, 12 and 13 days over. It was done at 10 days over due to suspected large baby, but took several days and repeats to work. Had I known it would have a possibility of being unsuccessful I would have waited longer. If I have another child, induction is not for me. Simply because I would rather be at home waiting than in hospital!

TimeToThinkOfYourFuture Fri 09-May-14 21:26:24

Sorry, I meant 40 plus 10, so 41 plus 3...

DinoSnores Sat 10-May-14 10:22:29

I was induced at 39 weeks because of concerns about the baby's health and size. 6 hours later, I had a baby! (and despite her size, only a tiny graze)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now