Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Rushed anomaly scan...any1 felt this way?

(60 Posts)
Preezie Fri 09-May-14 10:48:10

Hi there. We had our anomaly scan done 2 weeks ago. (NHS) Our first scan around 12 weeks went really well. It wasn't at all rushed and the person conducting it was pleasant and made us feel comfortable. After reading up on all the things that will be checked at the anomaly scan and hearing to expect it to be longer as a result, I was quite surprised when it lasted around 10 minutes! (Felt less to me but hubby says he checked time and it was almost 10 minutes.) The lady conducting it wasn't particularly friendly....so no chit chat like the previous lady, but she appeared to be 'professional'. No discussion of what she was checking for...Just heard her saying 'Heart, fingers, feet,'..etc. as she went through scan and within minutes she pronounced that she was done and everything seemed normal. I was a bit surprised at how quickly it was over, especially since the previous scan was actually longer and this one had far more things to be checked in detail. I didn't really know what to say...just thanked her and left. Has anyone else experienced this? In other words is a 10 minute anomaly scan considered normal? I'm one of those mums who stress a lot...I know everything's probably fine if she said so, but wouldn't want her to have rushed through it and missed something important! Of course I have a copy of the results showing that everything was checked and appears fine, but I left feeling a bit uncertain and disappointed. It is the last NHS scan we will have so it would have been nice to not feel so rushed!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 09-May-14 10:57:05

Hmm our 20 week scan took at least half an hour and the sonographer went through everything with us, told us what she was looking at etc. it was really in depth.

I guess the main thing to take is that nothing is wrong, but it does sound like she rushed through it.

hubbahubster Fri 09-May-14 10:57:56

10 mins is quite a long time... how long were you expecting?!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 09-May-14 10:59:32

Actually with both pregnancies my anomaly scans were half an hour. Different hospitals too

gunwalloe Fri 09-May-14 11:01:03

Your baby was perhaps in the perfect position for the sonographer to get all the measurements and checks done easily. Ten mins seems quick but then myn are always hiding something so we have to wobble them about to move into a better position to see things

hubbahubster Fri 09-May-14 11:02:53

Neither of mine have been anywhere near half an hour... Must vary from area to area but I never felt rushed, sonographer went through all bits of baby in detail and still only took about 10 mins. Perhaps the issue is more the attitude of the sonographer?

Preezie Fri 09-May-14 11:09:10

Hubbahubster...My 12 week scan was around 15 mins so I was expecting around 20 or more for this scan if everything was to be checked thoroughly. I don't think this is unusual...as confirmed by Pobblewhohasnotoes. Furthermore, I've seen that privately booked anomaly scans are 30 minutes. This is the most important scan in pregnancy, since the majority of serious problems can be picked up from this scan, so I certainly didn't expect that it will take 10 minutes! Hopefully, the sonographer did check everything thoroughly though...I have read stories about problems that should easily have been picked up by the scan, being missed (other rushed scans perhaps?)

Preezie Fri 09-May-14 11:12:30

Hubbahubster, just read that yours was also around 10 minutes. Perhaps she did check everything thoroughly then...I suppose I just expected a longer scan based on my previous scan and what I had read. Thanks for the replies everyone. Gunwalloe...I suppose she could have just been in the 'ideal' position for a quicker check! I hope sosmile

Preezie Fri 09-May-14 11:14:55

I say 'she' meaning the baby...It's a girl!

At both of my scans I have been told how easy to find my boy is, and even though the sonographer very nicely walked me through it all at the 20 week scan it only lasted about 15-20 minutes for that reason. I can see how if she were being brisk and professional it could have been done in 10. As I understand it, they can last up to 30 minutes but then there are reasons for that which aren't exactly preferable, such as the baby or placenta being in an awkward place or the woman being over weight.

The (different) sonographer I had at my 12 week scan zipped through it all fast like yours, but she seemed really professional and like she knew exactly what she was doing so I trusted her not to be doing anything negligent. Since it was the first time seeing the baby though I would have preferred a bit more time for sentimental reasons, but then, the NHS is a free service and as long as she did the job properly then I don't really have grounds to complain!

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 09-May-14 11:28:08

About 10-15 mins with 2 of mine and about 20-25 with the other as she was struggling to sex baby.

thebestnameshavegone Fri 09-May-14 11:30:11

mine lasted about 20-25 mins but that included the sonographer having to chase the baby round my womb trying to get it to show itself! I had to go for a wee to make things easier. she eventually got all the bits she needed, but had spent a lot of time trying to get a clear picture of the baby's face/profile, which I think was more for our benefit than hers.

awkward baby was lying face down/bum up and hiding in a corner. I imagine that it would have taken more like 15 mins if he had been in a better position.

SouthDerbyshireMamma Fri 09-May-14 11:30:44

I was in for about 10 minutes. I can imagine it may take longer in some instances. Guess it depends on babys position, clarity of image etc

mistlethrush Fri 09-May-14 11:35:09

The reason for the scan is to check everything - when checking everything they do concentrate quite hard to make sure that they get a good look and take the right pictures for their needs - its not a 'look there's your baby' event (I think we were shown for perhaps 1min for ours then the serious stuff was started - and our sonographer commented that they would not be talking much about what they were doing as they needed to concentrate). Ours did take about 40 mins but that was because DS was being particularly unhelpful- moving just before the picture was taken etc - and he kept on doing that. (Some things don't change grin)

squizita Fri 09-May-14 11:43:16

We were told ours would be 'long' and the lady was very aware of me being anxious and high risk (bless her tried to have a whisper chat with DH, to check I would be OK, but I heard all).

She said if she came across as 'cold' at any point it would be because she was measuring/counting/checking a list and just looking at that.

However, as baby is/was big and in a good position, she got everything really quickly. Silly baby then decided to thrash about a bit for the 'pretty show the relatives' scan pic, after being good for ages, so those aren't as clear as what was on the scan for the 15 minutes of checks.

MummytoMog Fri 09-May-14 11:44:09

My anomaly scans have always been a bit impersonal, especially compared to the 12 week scan. I do enjoy a private scan though ;) This baby is super uncooperative, so no good pics at 16 week gender scan and I'm hoping I might be able to get one at the 20 week scan, as well as confirmation of the gender (we were told girl, but baby wasn't in the ideal place, so tiny sliver of worry still that I'm going to have a boy called Edith).

Preezie Fri 09-May-14 12:04:21

Thanks for the replies! I do feel a bit better hearing that others did have scans that were just as quick. Mistlethrush...I didn't expect her to be as chatty as the last sonographer, given as you have pointed out that this is a more 'serious' scan looking to rule out any abnormalities. A friendly smile and perhaps a 'How are you doing today?' as she led us into the room wouldn't have hurt though...didn't even get a smile! Another thing that I was slightly disappointed by was the fact that we asked her for 2 photos of baby and I only realized after the scan when I was paying for my images that she printed us 2 identical pictures! At my previous scan, we purchased 3 photos and each was of baby in a different position/angle. I assumed she would do the same, rather than give me 2 of the same pictures, but I suppose I should have specified that I wanted 2 different pics? Would have just got 1 had I known they were identical! Anyway, I still find 10 mins to complete the checks AND sexing of the baby a bit rushed, even if baby was in a good position, but I guess I will have no choice but to trust that she did a thorough check or book a private scan asap...MummytoMog...I think I just might do that. I've checked and they are a bit pricey, 159 quid...but it's a full 30 mins with complete explanations of what is being checked and opportunity to ask questions, etc...even comes with a report and free prints and 4D view included. It might give me the peace of mind I need.

eurochick Fri 09-May-14 12:05:04

Mine was private (but presumably going through the same checklist as the NHS in terms of possible anomalies) and it took about 50 minutes! But our baby is a wriggler and kept moving away from the scanner, which probably didn't help matters. Given the long list of things they check, I would be surprised that they could get through it all in 10 minutes but a few posters here seem to have had a similar experience.

bloominbumpy Fri 09-May-14 12:11:55

My 20 week scan was lovely not sure how long it lasted but felt like ages to me watching lil one wiggling about.
The sonographer was lovely and explained things well we had no isses.

My 12 week on the other hand left me feeling a bit disappointed! This was because the sonographer was aright grumpy cow! I know this because my friend had the same ssonographer for her 20 week and felt very like you did.

I think its down to the person doing it not how long your in there. Im sure it must get a bit monotonous for some and they see "new life" everyday so its not exciting for them. But I think its very selfish to shove their bad attitudes onto expecting parents who are obviously going to be excited etc.

squizita Fri 09-May-14 12:37:56

But I think its very selfish to shove their bad attitudes onto expecting parents who are obviously going to be excited etc.

But many parents (like me) aren't excited. From experience we'd far rather have someone quiet and thorough, and save our joy (not theirs we don't know them from Adam) for the moment we hear the words 'normal' and 'healthy'. That's why on the leaflets and on sites like mumsnet they are very clear that the scanner will be 'serious' because this will be a serious scan.

I've experienced a cheerful jolly HCP at an early scan. "Oh, it's meant to be!" she trilled as she took me through... and then faltered as they found no heartbeat. It was simply dreadful - as well as being utterly shattering it was also awkward for her, it felt almost worse. sad (If you're wondering how it could feel worse... have had several losses, so sadly have comparisons).

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 09-May-14 12:41:41

Our sonographer told us she would be quiet at times as she was concentrating.

I'm not sure why our scan was so long, I'm not overweight, my placenta isn't awkward and baby wasn't lying in a silly place. Maybe they were just not rushed.

starfishmummy Fri 09-May-14 12:42:44

DS's took ages. It was done by the Registrar (I was under consultant care) and ds was fast asleep on knew side and refused all attempts to get him to move!! At that point the Consultant had come in and was really prodding me/ds with the probe until I mentioned the effect it was having on my full bladder and that I might not be responsible for what happened!!

They couldn't see one arm so the result was we were booked in for another scan a couple of weeks later when the other arm was found!!

MummytoMog Fri 09-May-14 13:09:11

OP where are you? There are a few places who will do a private scan for a fair bit cheaper than that, but it sort of depends on whether you want them to do all the anomaly stuff as well. I had a gender scan with Babybond at sixteen weeks and she did a whole bunch of measurements as well and it was �75 I think? My early scan was pretty cheap too, at the London arm of Thisismy .co .uk. I always found the movements after twenty weeks were reassurance enough actually, but my first pregnancy I had three private scans before my twelve week scan. I didn't even tell DH about two of them. Then I learned how to use a doppler, which was much cheaper. Was able to find this baby at nine weeks, which was very reassuring and I have a really sweet record of the heart rate decreasing from the really high speed at nine weeks, to the rather more standard at fifteen weeks.

rallytog1 Fri 09-May-14 13:21:21

A short scan is a good scan imho.

My 20 week scan took a long time - all because there were problems with various measurements and the sonographer was very concerned. I can't tell you how upsetting it is when they take ages measuring things in your baby's brain and then need to call colleagues in to double check, because they want to be sure before they give you potentially bad news.

There were concerns about my dd's brain and heart, which then hung over us for the rest of the pregnancy. Fortunately she was born healthy, although there are some lingering concerns that may or may not come to something.

I would have given my right arm for a short and brusque scan, as this is an indication that everything is ok.

Preezie Fri 09-May-14 13:22:56

"From experience we'd far rather have someone quiet and thorough..."

Squizita...this is the point I'm trying to make...not so much the someone quiet bit (although I completely understand that concentrating on getting the job done may require silence.)...but the THOROUGH bit. My concern is whether the sonographer can really be 'thorough' in completing the numerous checks AND sexing the baby in slightly under 10 minutes? You will see from the majority of responses that most people had scans that lasted well over 10 minutes. I'm not saying that this definitely means my sonographer hasn't done a thorough check, but it certainly makes me wonder if perhaps she could have somehow missed something in her rush. I'm hoping that this is not the case, but obviously as a concerned mum, the thought has crossed my mind.

Anyway, I'm terribly sorry to hear about yr losses and I completely understand how the comment by yr HCP would have made you feel worse. I would appreciate a friendly face and perhaps polite chit chat before the scan has commenced, but I would not appreciate someone making a comment like yr HCP did when I'm still anxious to know if everything is OK with my baby to begin with. Sorry you had to go through that. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now