Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fibroids

(18 Posts)
Ladymillion Thu 08-May-14 14:52:12

I have just had a scan at 13 weeks and it revealed that I have 2 small fibroids in my womb lining... Anyone else had experience of this? I have been referred to a consultant so I hope to find out more then. I have had no prior symptoms so it was a bit of a shock.

wokeupwithasmile Thu 08-May-14 16:38:23

I had six. Apart from being larger than other women, no other symptom at all. They did not cause any trouble to my ds either. As far as I understand, it depends on their position and size. And again, afaiu, they grow for the first few months (5?) and then tend to stay as they are.
You will be seen a bit more often than other pregnant women, to make sure that everything is under control, and there are plenty of chances that you will have zero problems or very little discomfort!
Congratulations on your pregnancy smile

eurochick Thu 08-May-14 16:41:44

I have three small ones. They are very common. I'm slim and had no symptoms (heavy periods but I have had those since my teens). I was aware of them as they were spotted during scans for fertility investigations, but caused no problem in that regard, nor so far (touch wood) during the pregnancy.

They can be problematic if they are in an inconvenient place or if the pregnancy hormones make them grow too large. Hopefully yours will behave themselves.

Ladymillion Thu 08-May-14 18:31:46

Ahh thanks to you both for the reassurance. smile The sonographer said they were at the top near my stomach which was preferable to the cervix area. Need to stop dwelling haha! wink thanks again

TobyLerone Thu 08-May-14 20:24:30

I have 3, 2 of which are fairly large and down near my cervix. When I was pregnant I had a scan at 36 weeks to see if they'd moved far enough away from my cervix for me to have a normal birth. Luckily they had and everything was fine smile

Mamab33 Thu 08-May-14 20:29:35

Several here. Having pain but at least one is is bigger than the baby. Going to be checked up soon. Would be interested to hear your experience. Good to know that so many of you have not had problems with them.

Firsttimer7259 Thu 08-May-14 20:33:08

I have too many to count . one was large and blocked exit. Pregnancy was tough mainly because they grew and I was huge. I also got red degenration whicfhbhurt like hell. There are more risks but they are just risks. You'll have more scans if you need them esp towards the end. I was advised against a vaginal birth and had a planned c section. It was fab - knew her exa ct day of arrival could make most of Hs leave. Operation was lovely and calm. Baby up for immediate skin to skin and breastfeed. But the docs said its a high risk c section and needs metciculous planning good surgeon. I would not ever have a unplanned c section - I lost a lot of blood and was in intensive. But that was great I got great help. So as long as you feel open to the fact that csection may be the only option if a fibroid is in the wrong place. it can be magical birth you meet your child calm and knowing everyone make such veffort to get us all safely to that wonderful conclusion - I was so moved by it all

Mamab33 Thu 08-May-14 20:47:36

Firsttimer thank you for your reassurance. Really nice to hear

squizita Thu 08-May-14 20:54:19

I have one but its not in a "risky position" and they seem not bothered.

PustyRussell Thu 08-May-14 21:11:36

I had an tangerine-sized one on my cervix with my second child. I didn't have it with my first, it was spotted on the first scan and had many subsequent scans to monitor. I was very anxious based on the limited research papers I had managed to find on the Internet. The sonographers always took a sharp intake of breath when they scanned it due to the position. The consultant booked me in for a c-section for 39 weeks + 5 as she didn't think the baby would be able to get around it/I wouldn't dilate properly.

I was prepped for the c-section and had an examination by a different consultant who said I was already 4cm dilated and he said there was no reason not to try for a natural birth as he could feel that the baby was likely to be able to get around the fibroid.

I went home that day and went into labour naturally 40+1. 3 hours later, after a very straight forward labour, my DS was born.

I would ask for as many medical opinions as possible to get peace of mind. The last consultant was so sure I would be fine, whereas previous registrars/consultants weren't so convincing!

Ladymillion Fri 09-May-14 21:18:02

Wow lots of different experiences - seems that it's just a case of watching and waiting, hoping they don't cause too many problems! Thanks for sharing everybody, so interesting to read and I feel loads calmer now I know a bit more.

cheesecakemom Sat 10-May-14 07:01:48

I had mine removed years ago due to severe symptoms. After the OP, the surgeon stated that I should have a CS in future.
For my 1st preg I had 3 fibroids but they were small and as time went on we could only see one during the scans and eventually nothing.
I ended up having a Consultant led care and a CS. You may get monitored due to fear that they can grow during pregnancy. My CS was due to the previous op and not the fibroids as they didn't impact the pregnancy.

cheesecakemom Sat 10-May-14 07:03:11

Just to clarify those 3 fibroids grew after the removal of the previous surgically removed ones.

Ladymillion Sat 10-May-14 15:52:47

Ohh cheesecake I did read that often they can grow back after having some removed! How annoying! But it does feel reassuring to have extra monitoring throughout pregnancy definitely.

weebigmamma Sat 10-May-14 19:03:33

yeah I had a fibroid that I found out about in the same way as you. They said it was about the size of a 50p and that it could grow bigger and if that happened it might cause pain but they didn't think it would be a big problem. It didn't grow at all. I had the baby a month ago and the fibroid is still in there :-)

weebigmamma Sat 10-May-14 19:04:23

Mine were in same position as yours btw- at the top, rather than anywhere near the babyexit! :-)

Ladymillion Sat 10-May-14 19:37:31

Oh wow weebig, that's good to hear! I suppose it's just the luck of the draw whether they grow or not! That's great news, congrats on your new baby! smile

bouncinbean Sat 10-May-14 19:43:55

Hi I don't think it's automatic that you get more monitoring, didn't happen to me, but they were measured at each scan. I have 2 and had scans at 5, 12 and 20 weeks.
They did grow throughout the pregnancy but can't have been a concern as they were never discussed. I think by the last scan the biggest one was something like 10x14cm.
So good luck and fingers crossed your lucky enough to not have problems...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now