Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

T1 diabetes - bumps, births, babies & beyond (NEW)

(30 Posts)

Just wondered if there are any other expectant Type 1s out there? Come and keep me company!

Hannahs25 Tue 06-May-14 16:35:58

Hellloooo I too have type one diabetes and I'm 6 weeks pregnant and very worried due to different complications and previous misscarraige.. How far are you? X

Hi. I'm 7+5 with my second. Also got complications. How are you feeling?

Shameless BUMP

Ooh, a new thread.

My DC3 will be one in a couple of weeks shock and there's no way I'm doing it againgrin good luck ladies!

Lol cheers for the support! I'm already thinking "what the hell have I done!"

So tell me, am I the only one who's bloods have gone nuts? I was completely fine in my last pg but this time jeez!

Hannahs25 Tue 06-May-14 21:46:50

I'm 6 weeks and seem to be controlling my blood sugars. I've previously had a miscarriage in January as my diabetes wasn't controlled at all and complications started affecting my pregnancy, I'm just scared it's going to happen again! sad I hear that diabetic women who are pregnant go through a lot of hard work during pregnancy x

Sorry to hear about your mc Hannah. What complications did you have?

Pg is hard work for diabetics. Constant testing and adjusting. I was lucky that my control stayed good in my first but this time, my bloods were all over the place a few days before my BFP. I've had to double my ratio of quick acting already.

I've got complications with my eyes too which are also playing up already.

I this your first? Feel free to ask loads of questions. smile

Are you on a pump Hannah?

Hannahs25 Thu 08-May-14 08:31:37

Thankyou for your lovey words, I'm not in a pump, I'm on lantas and novo rapid, yeaterday I had a little bit of brown discharge (sorry about the graphic details) only aboht a finger tip full and I haven't had anything this morning but I had like dull period pain, anyone else had this or having this? Yes this is my first child, still very scared about everything, I don't know when the best idea to contact a midwife.. Do you?

Well complications from last time .. Took frolic acid and aspirin late (which I'm taking now from early on) my blood sugars were very high and not controlled, I found out 2 weeks after my missed period then started to eat properly, I was on a new insulin which wasn't tested in pregnant woman,. It was all such a hard time that I'm hoping this time is different. X

Hannah, go to your GP now and ask for a referral to the diabetic antenatal clinic, you'll be consultant led and won't probably see a community midwife at all.

Hannahs25 Thu 08-May-14 22:05:25

Ah okay I shall do that, thankyou, and it isn't too early at 6 weeks to be referred? X

Get referred NOW! I think it's pretty important to get in touch with the diabetic antenatal quite quickly. I saw my GP at 7 wks and he sent an urgent referral. I'm seeing the community midwife tomorrow too.

I'm on Lantus and Humalog but wish I'd gone on to a pump before I got up the duff! Have you got the high dose (5mg) folic acid?

I have got complications with my eyes which was all kicked off by my first pg and looks like is all kicking off again. Not happy!

I hope your spotting has settled down and you're feeling ok.

Def not too early, I was referred at 4 weeks, first appt at 6 weeks, first scan at 7 weeks! They do like to take care of you...

Hannahs25 Fri 09-May-14 11:03:57

Okay I shall get onto them, I think I'm just scared this time round as I had a bad experience with ultrasounds last time ect. Is the pump more beneficial to pregnant diabetics then? I don't seem to have any problems with my eyes at the moment but I wear contact lenses anyway. Have you had a scan yet? X

Hannahs25 Tue 13-May-14 21:17:11

Everyone all okay? X

So sorry. This thread dropped off my "I'm on" list.

Alright here thanks. Struggling to get my appointments through which is frustrating. How are you getting on?

Hannahs25 Fri 16-May-14 18:43:00

Sorry for the late reply! I'm having a pretty hard time at the moment but blood sugars are constantly going down in the 1's .. Had a 1.2 at work the other day and was soo bad. Haven't seen a midwife yet, from Previous experience I'm really scared so I'm waiting until 12 weeks, however I am seeing someone about my low blood sugars.

So no appointments for you yet? sad x

Sorry to hear about your hypos. Hope you get it settled soon. I've had a few but have actually had to double my ratio of humalog already which is worrying me. I didn't even have to do that in the 3rd tri last time.

I've seen the community mw for my booking appointment but haven't been to the diabetic antenatal cloning yet and they were really rude to me on the phone yesterday when I was trying to chance up my appointment. They have said they won't see me until after my 12 wk scan. This is def not what happened last time as I was seen for the 3rd time at 13 wks.

I'm so annoyed because I really need to talk to the diabetic nurse and want my HbA1c done. I haven't had it done since October.

Hi Hannah I just read your other post. I hope you're ok. Sometimes men just can't deal with how they are feeling and shut down. I've had it with my DH before. He probably just needs some time. Hopefully it won't take him too long. Is there anybody you could ask to have a talk to him? Maybe his parents or sibling, who you feel you can talk to?

Hannahs25 Fri 16-May-14 22:50:11

Hi polythenegirl,

Thankyou for the amazing support, I'm sorry to hear about the diabetic appointment not being possible, it sucks that some people can be so rude and not understand that you need supporting not only with your pregnancy but the diabetes that go along with It too!! I hope you keep at them and get that appointment you need!!

Do your other half freaked out too? How long did he take to come round to this?? I'm in limbo at the mo and my emotions are all over the place as I'm hurt by him telling me he needs space. I need him now more than ever really! I'm reducing my insulin so I'm hoping that stop my hypos, they're horrible! How old are you by the way? Thankyou for being so lovely x

This pg was planned so DH was very happy but with out first I found out when I went into hospital for surgery on my ovarian cysts 2 days before Xmas and it was a big shock. We were going through a bit of a sticky patch as well and he didn't speak a word to me for a few days and in fact things were quite difficult for a few weeks because I just couldn't get him to open up. Eventually though he did snap himself out of it.

I think probably it is a mix of shock and fear. Has he got anyone to talk it through with? My DH didn't really as he's not very close with his family and we weren't telling anyone else. I think it would have helped him to straighten his thoughts quicker. Have you told him how this is making you feel and that you need him?

I'm 30, how about you?

Hannahs25 Sat 17-May-14 15:33:12

I'm 20, and I can understand that he's freaked out as it easy planned but I think he needs to think of my feelings too, as I'm just as scared. How far along are you now, it's all exciting and I suppose itll be more exciting when he comes round to the idea as I'll have someone to share it all with then. Hope you're okay x

Hi Hannah how are things?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now