Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

what happens now....?

(8 Posts)
buggerboooo Sat 03-May-14 21:23:34

So apparently i am pregnant!

i know i need to make an appointment with the doctor, what happens after that? when are the scans? apart from scans who else do i see?

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Sat 03-May-14 21:27:12

You don't necessarily need to see your doctor unless you have underlying health issues. The procedure differs from area to area.

Call your GP surgery and ask about next steps. Some will ask you to book an appointment with the GP, others will say to book straight in with the MW's. Normally your booking appointment with them wouldn't be until about 8 weeks plus.

Once you have booked, you'll have a schedule of appointments. Normally your next one will be your scan at 12 weeks.

Whether you just see the MW's or also see consultants/registrars will depend on you and your health profile. In a healthy woman with no complications, MWs are the only people you see (bar possibly that initial GP appointment and a few areas where MW's and GP's share care).

Congratulations.

eurochick Sat 03-May-14 21:29:06

In some areas you don't need to see the dr - you go straight to the mw. Check with your GP's receptionist.

You usually have a booking in appointment (taking medical history, bloods and blood pressure) towards the end of the first tri and then a scan at around 11-13 weeks, and then another scan at 20 weeks. The frequency of appointments depends on area and the level of care you need (e.g. pre-existing conditions/medical history might indicate consultant care).

buggerboooo Sat 03-May-14 21:43:11

right, do i have to have bloods taken? I really hate needles. what do they check for?

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Sat 03-May-14 22:00:17

Yes, but exactly when depends on the area. Normally booking or whilst at the hospital for the scan.

They check loads of things: blood type, various infections, iron levels...

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 03-May-14 23:16:25

They tend to take bloods at your booking in appointment with the mw at around 8 weeks for blood type, incase you should need a transfusion, iron levels, infection, HIV, all sorts. Then at various stages throughout your pregnancy.

Both my pregnancies I had to go via the GP, it just depends on your area.

I don't like needles either but tend to find the hospital phlebotomists are better at taking blood than the midwives. Depends really.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 03-May-14 23:18:25

Oh and for your 12 week scan if you have the combined test for risk of chromosomal abnormalities.

icklekid Sun 04-May-14 05:17:46

You don't have to have bloods but look into reasons why they take it first (I also hate needles but worth 1min of pain for health of baby imo)

You also need to start taking folic acid and vit d/pregnancy multivitamin.

Congratulations! [Thanks]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now