Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby aspirin???

(8 Posts)
xkatxdollx Sat 03-May-14 02:07:29

My doctor started me on baby aspirin just as a precaution when I went to the pharmacy they told me to just get regular aspirin? Did anyone else just take regular aspirin everyday?

Jcb77 Sat 03-May-14 06:01:44

The drug is the same - it's aspirin. The dose is probably different. Baby aspirin usually refers to 75mg daily. Regular aspirin tablets are usually 300mg tablets. Double check what your dr wanted you to have (75mg I imagine). The standard dose is often cheaper to buy but you can buy both. So if you're not up for subdividing tablets, you should specifically get the 75mg ones. Ideally you'd have them prescribed and an exemption certificate though, to avoid any confusion.

VioletWillow Sat 03-May-14 10:56:34

It is the 75mg. I've been prescribed it but have bought some while waiting for a prescription to come through, the big supermarkets do stock it but annoyingly it's a little more expensive than the standard dosage, I think Tesco is 75p?

squizita Sat 03-May-14 10:59:51

Violet top tip, Poundland/Poundworld tend to do it for 2 boxes £1! smile I prefer them to the prescribed hard-to-swallow tablets, and they're v cheap.

squizita Sat 03-May-14 11:01:12

Don't take a normal tablet (300mg) they are too much and could thin the blood too much.

I am on 150mg, doc said I could snap a normal 'long' tablet in half as there's a line... but for 75mg that would be too tricky to do (no line, and you want an accurate dose).

eurochick Sat 03-May-14 11:01:45

They don't call it baby aspirin any more, which is probably where the confusion comes form. 75mg is the dose usually prescribed in pregnancy. Please don't take the standard (300mg) dose. Your GP really should have been clearer.

VioletWillow Sat 03-May-14 11:18:06

Squizita aha! Thanky kindly smile

xkatxdollx Sat 03-May-14 15:47:24

ok thanks guys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now