Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really desperately need some labour advice, please please please!!!

(50 Posts)
Mummycherry2 Thu 01-May-14 12:42:35

Hi ladies,

I'm 39 weeks, had a show yesterday and have had constant dull period type pains for last 24 hours or so (and an upset tummy for 3 days) this morning I've been getting more and more pains more regularly. My back hurts, then I get a cramp in the front and my bump goes hard. Getting them every 20 mins or so now for the past couple of hours. Is this sounding like labour? I'm a first timer and this sounds very silly but I don't really know what a contraction feels like. I know that these pains are very uncomfortable though! Any advice would be really greatly received xx

Sounds like it, especially if they're regular! Yay!

Time them when they get to be more like 10 mins apart.

Sounds like it to me!

The bump going hard is definitely a contraction.

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Thu 01-May-14 13:11:21

Bump going hard isn't definitely a labour contraction - that can be Braxton hicks.

It does sound like things are potentially getting going though. But at every 20 minutes, try and ignore it for now and go about your normal life. Rest if you feel you want to. Hopefully things are about to get going.

Sorry I should have clarified that. It's a contraction of some sort! smile

Thurlow Thu 01-May-14 14:06:18

Sounds like it! That's how mine started, it took hours before I believed that they were actually contractions as I wasn't rolling on the floor like people do on TV. Try and carry on as normal and make sure you eat something, but keep an eye on their frequency. Good luck!

adv1cen33d3d Thu 01-May-14 14:06:25

Get some sleep!

Mummycherry2 Thu 01-May-14 14:24:37

Thank you all, pains are definitely not going away and are now every 15 mins or so. Have taken some paracetamol to take the edge off and going to have a lie down with a hot water bottle. No sign of waters breaking...is this a problem? Not sure when I should summon DH either?!

EllaBella220 Thu 01-May-14 14:28:55

Aww Mummy sounds like you will get to meet your LO soon(ish)! Get as much rest as you can now. I would let your DH know what's going on so he can free himself up for when the contractions are closer together and needs to get home.

Best of luck! x

Thurlow Thu 01-May-14 14:29:45

My waters never broke. It can take a long time to be in actual labour (sorry) so I wouldn't summon your DH, every 15 minutes or so is good, it means things are starting, but it doesn't mean that things are actually happening, if that makes any sense!

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Thu 01-May-14 14:31:16

It is perfectly normal for your waters not to break until much, much later. Some babies are even born without the waters breaking. Not a problem either way.

I would let your DH know, but especially with a first it can be unpredictable. Even with my second I had 8 hours or so of this before things truly kicked off. That's why a rest and some food is a good idea. smile

Mummycherry2 Thu 01-May-14 14:31:39

Yep very clear Thurlow, that's what I suspected!

Mummycherry2 Thu 01-May-14 14:32:49

Thank you penguins! I've just had lunch and am having a lie down now so will see what happens...

YussMinister Thu 01-May-14 14:34:28

Try and rest as much as you can. It sounds like the latent stage of early labour. I was in the latent stage for 6 days and barely slept! Rest up.

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Thu 01-May-14 14:36:27

Good luck. Let us know what happens!

MoonHare Thu 01-May-14 14:38:46

It sounds like early labour. If you can speak through contractions then you're not in active labour and there's no danger of baby arriving all of a sudden.

Put your feet up, watch some telly, eat and drink normally. It's most likely that you have a long way to go yet so no need for DH to rush home but if he works for an understanding employer then give him a call. He might as well make the tea for you!

My advice after 3 babies is to hold off going in to hospital for as long as you can. You'll be much more relaxed at home.

Your waters might not break until right at the end. With DC2 my waters broke as she was delivered. DC1 they broke before I'd even had a contraction - same with DC3 so there's no hard and fast rule.

Hope it all goes the way you want it to.

FreeLikeABird Thu 01-May-14 14:44:19

Good luck op, sounds like things are happening smile

My waters didn't break with any of my labours, they were broken for me at the hospital.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Thu 01-May-14 14:48:46

Yup, definitely the start or latent phase of labour. I had this for about two days before my proper labour started. Get what rest you can and make sure you eat and drink well - keep your energy levels and fluid levels up.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 01-May-14 15:08:43

Get as much rest as you can, run a warm bath and get in if you start to get too uncomfortable.
Oh - and get those last minute bits and pieces ready for your hospital bag.
FGS dont' tell anyone and swear DH to secrecy. it could be hours, or it could be days. Other people will just p#ss you right off
Good luck and come back and tell us you are both safe and sound and your new baby smells delicious.

Mummycherry2 Thu 01-May-14 17:30:29

Thank you all, managed to have a sleep for a couple of hours and now pains every 15 mins and still regular. DH home now and told me off for not summoning him! He is in a right old flap and nagging me for being too laid back about it lol. My mum popped in without warning and she seems to think this is the start as well and all have been sworn to secrecy tread well ;) bath time. Can I sneak a small glass of wine do you think?!

Thurlow Thu 01-May-14 17:32:09

Sod it, I would have a glass of wine! Good luck and keep trying to rest. It's frustrating but quite common for this to go on for a day or two, so as long as you can manage the contractions and carry on as normal just keep an eye on it, and the baby's movements as well.

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Thu 01-May-14 17:35:29

God yes, have the glass of wine. My MW actually recommended it for early labour as much better than a paracetamol!

Mummycherry2 Thu 01-May-14 17:38:52

Marvellous! I will instruct DH to crack it open when he cooks me dinner (I've told him he's cooking tonight) so no doubt we will end up with a takeaway! Did take some paracetamol earlier but it didn't really do anything, it's not really strong enough for me!

Itsfab Thu 01-May-14 17:46:56

I would suggest DH doesn't have any wine! He will need to drive you to hospital.

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now