Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any recent experience of Queen Charlotte's or UCH?

(6 Posts)
Corybantic Thu 01-May-14 10:41:55

Hello,
I have just found out that I am pregnant for the first time (eeeek!). I live in the Kensal Town area and QC is closest though UCH is also 10 minutes on the train. I have a close friend who recently had a great experience at UCH but I don't know anything about QC. Would be really grateful for any recent stories or advice.

Thank you!

BakingBunty Thu 01-May-14 11:11:55

I gave birth to DS at QCH in 2011 and am booked in again for this pregnancy (25 weeks).
I would recommend them - I think there's something quite special about it being just a maternity hospital. Ante-natal clinic sometimes quite hectic but if you're low risk you can do 'shared community care' (where you see a midwife at your local children's centre or GP - same one each time which is great).
Care in delivery was good, postnatal not so much... But I think it's a similar story in most hospitals.
Good luck with your decision, and congrats!

katmat3 Thu 01-May-14 11:21:43

I went yesterday for my first booking and I was highly disappointed .Very hectic ,disorganised and you can't get them on the phone.Midwife was just great / lovely but consultant not so much.I decided to change the hospital.
Please read reviews and talk to ladies who already had their babies there.
After care is very poor from what I found out.It feels as it should be good because it's only maternity but that is not correct. Sometimes is pure luck...If you type in Google : QCCH maternity unit reviews and click top search you can read some of the feedbacks.

katmat3 Thu 01-May-14 11:22:22

O, BIG HUG and CONGRATULATIONS on your first baby!

squizita Thu 01-May-14 11:34:01

They are having a computer meltdown at the moment! So receptionists etc' might seem disorganised when normally they aren't.

I know because I'm with St Marys/Queen Charlottes on the high risk list (so no home care for me, go in every time) and have been since Xmas - they recently had a new IT booking system put in. Teething problems is an understatement, thus the receptionists are all stressed and grumpy. It was not like that at all before last week. smile

Corybantic Thu 01-May-14 12:46:56

Thank you for the congratulations and advice smile it's all a bit scary! I suppose I need to just cross fingers and hope for the best as there will be good and bad experiences at any hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now