Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anxiety at 20+ weeks... thought it would go!

(9 Posts)
squizita Thu 01-May-14 08:13:09

Anyone else anxious even after their 20 week scan? Had mine last week, exactly a week ago, at 19+. Now 20+. I have anxiety about pregnancy and was looking forward to it easing as I passed milestones and the risk of another loss reduced.

Scan was normal, but rather than feeling far less anxious I just seem to have new ones! Namely:
-Movement: paranoid it's wind or muscle spasms and not really movement (it is really movement) and there are no patterns yet (MW confirmed not to expect any, it's normal at this stage).
-Round Ligament Pain and constipation, had a bout over the weekend: is it really something else - contractions which could lead to a late loss? No fluid (bar the usual mucus), no blood... just paranoid because of how vague they are online about the feelings. Again, rang MW she was not worried.

Does the anxiety go away? Any heads up as to what to expect as new anxieties over the next few months?

rosiegal Thu 01-May-14 08:50:00

I cant offer any advise as I'm in the same boat as you, 20+4 and I've got my scan at 11am today! So unbelievably nervous and I just wanted to say you're not alone. I was terrified before my 12wk scan, I heard the heartbeat at 16wks which reassured me for a while (about a week)
Now the anxiety is back. As its my first I'm not really sure what to expect with movement etc, I Think I've been having flutters, poking sensations but I've got nothing to compare it to and it hasnt been all that frequent. I'm interested to see what other people say........ maybe there is hope for us after all!! x

sarahquilt Thu 01-May-14 08:52:10

Tbh the anxiety never fully goes away but it eases slightly. I'm giving birth in a week and still feel a bit anxious!

Nishky Thu 01-May-14 08:55:37

I agree with Sarah- but I hope you find some times to enjoy your pregnancy. X

Nishky Thu 01-May-14 08:56:22

Just seen your post Rosie. Hope all is well with the scan

rosiegal Thu 01-May-14 09:00:44

Thank you Nishky x

squizita Thu 01-May-14 09:33:30

Good luck Rosie - my scan, I felt nothing but the baby was quite energetic. I think with 1st timers the movements are just more subtle.

Just feeling the flippety-flop feeling I assume is movement. Even last week all I got was fluttery tickles and now it's more like a tiny finger touching me or a flippy-flop feeling. Haven't have anything to eat and don't need a poo tmi so rationally bean is swimming around in there!

smile smile

Anxiety sucks. DH is very rational, thank goodness.

rosiegal Thu 01-May-14 16:40:38

Phew.... all went well and baby was moving around quite happily in there. Turns out I have an anterior placenta which I understand can 'cushion' movement. So for now I'm feeling relaxed and excited, lets hope this feeling lasts.... I too have a calm, rational dp so I hope some of that rubs off on me. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is happy and healthy x

Boogles91 Thu 01-May-14 21:46:29

Ive found mine has eased a bit since my 20wk scan smile i was dreading all my first scans as our first resulted in mc, so i had bad anxiety from that. Now all i seem to worry about is if lil man is in a different position as i hardly feel him when he is. Plus his movements are starting to feel different now as im 29wks. Hes been living under my rib all day quite uncomfortable lol but not painful smile and i also have a horrible chest infection at mo, ive never been such a wimp in my life! Swear this baby has made me just want to winge every now again as normally i just carry on unless im that ill i can barely mplift my head. Im also high risk, due to kidney probs and now have too much fluid in me tum, so im doing my best to remain calm smile im hoping everythings calmed down at my next scan, but judging by how big my bellys getting every couple of days i doubt it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now