Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

21 weeks, sore bump, growing pains?, sluggish baby or not baby moving?

(14 Posts)
Teddybear33 Tue 29-Apr-14 22:01:29

I'm 21 weeks today, my anomoly scan is later this week, but over the last day or so I've had some discomfort. Is this likely to be growing pains? It's not severe, yesterday it was a bit of a stabbing pain/crampy, may even be gas??

Also over the last two weeks I thought I'd felt the baby moving but the only time I seem to feel anything now is at lunch when I drink cold sparkling water and possibly at bedtime, but is it possible what I'm feeling isn't the baby at all? If it is the baby should I be feeling it more often?

I guess as the scan approaches I'm getting quite anxious.

bugoven Wed 30-Apr-14 01:06:50

That all sounde absolutely normal and familiar to me. I have pains on and off, sometimes they make me cry out or rake my breath away. Movement is also completely random. I'm 21 weeks and have been told all is normal but never be embarassed to ask for medical advice from your midwife or gp. I am now feeling much less anxious after stuggling through the first 18 weeks or so.
Good luck smile smile

hartmel Wed 30-Apr-14 01:43:16

If you are concerned about the pain ring your midwife but it sounds normal...
With movements, it could be that you have an anterior placenta. I had that too with my first and didn't feel his movements that often. Sometimes up to two days i could barely get him to move.. Now he his a happy active 7 month old boy who does not want to crawl but walk and likes to kick around.. grin

RAFWife12 Wed 30-Apr-14 06:50:23

I'm now 26 weeks. At 21 weeks babies movements were really sporadic and unpredictable. I have an anterior placenta so still muffles some movements. Now I feel baby much more regularly.
Where abouts are the pains? It's likely to be everything stretching, the round ligament supports your uterus and obviously has to stretch a lot! That can be painful, I get that.
With anything, if you are worried call your midwife.

squizita Wed 30-Apr-14 08:42:08

I had my anomaly scan in the middle of no movement and bump aches.

The sonographer saw a very busy baby! I even have an average position placenta. Before 22 weeks, I was told you don't really feel EVERY movement - if they move in a 'pocket' of space you won't feel it (they said anterior placenta is not the only cause- it happens to everyone).

smile

You only need to expect regular movement after 24 weeks (starting a pattern) with a pattern established by 26-28 weeks. St Marys (Imperial) told me that - they tend to know their stuff re fetal medicine etc'. smile

Teddybear33 Wed 30-Apr-14 08:52:47

Thanks everyone I feel really reassured, not to mention the baby is giving me a good kick this morning to remind me it's ok :-). If it's not baby I have idea what's going on in my abdomen haha.

Teddybear33 Fri 02-May-14 07:20:24

So the anomoly scan is today. After a very active day on Wednesday (or something very weird if I'm wrong) baby has give very quiet again. Haven't slept too well and just hoping all ok today.

squizita Fri 02-May-14 07:56:34

FT for you Teddy - hope it reassures you that your pattern sounds just like the days before my scan and that went fine. Hoping it's the same for you!

Teddybear33 Fri 02-May-14 09:18:10

Thanks Squizita! Glad yours went well xxxx

Teddybear33 Fri 02-May-14 09:19:44

Did you find out if boy or girl?

squizita Fri 02-May-14 11:38:26

Girl! smile

Teddybear33 Fri 02-May-14 15:20:41

Cute! I think we're having a girl but we weren't offered the chance to find out...but much more importantly baby is healthy and developing properly! :-)

squizita Fri 02-May-14 17:10:21

Great news! smile

Teddybear33 Sat 03-May-14 06:55:46

Thanks Squizita x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now