Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possible to be pregnant in spite of negative test result?

(15 Posts)
Amber76 Tue 29-Apr-14 08:41:14

I'm usually reasonably regular - period is every 25 to 28 days or so.
On day 29 I did a test which was negative.
But here I am on day 34 still waiting....
We're not actually trying as such but I like the idea of a third child.

sarahquilt Tue 29-Apr-14 10:32:26

I didn't get a positive until a week after my period was missed because it took a while for the hormone to build up. Test again!

squizita Tue 29-Apr-14 10:42:27

As Sarah mentions in some of us it takes a while for the HCG to reach the bladder ... 2-3 days or up to a week for some ... so wait and test if AF doesn't appear. smile

KitKat1985 Tue 29-Apr-14 11:06:02

If it's been 5 days since your last test then I'd take another test. As other posters have said it can take a while for some people to get a positive pregnancy test, especially if they ovulated late. x

WheresRyder Tue 29-Apr-14 11:08:04

with my first I didn't get a positive ever! seriously. This was 17 years ago now though so im assuming that tests have come on since then, but I'd say it was likely to not get a positive at this stage. Mine was only picked up on blood tests.

mammaof4girls Tue 29-Apr-14 11:18:55

I have a friend who kept taking tests as her period was late then eventually came irregularly. Every test was negative. weeks later she got a faint positive the doctor sent her for a scan. baby was 17 weeks! so you can definitely be pregnant and not have a positive x

I repeatedly got negatives despite being continually sick and feeling like rubbish. I was even given a course of clomid to get my periods started again (it was post birth of DD3) and I finally got a positive and was sent for an "early" scan - turns out I was 20+ weeks shock

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 30-Apr-14 07:11:21

A friend of mine tested negative repeatedly. Work on the basis you might be pregnant and be patient. Maybe book a convenient GP appointment for 3-4 weeks?

ZingWatermelon Wed 30-Apr-14 07:40:23

yes.

happened to me with DS2.
I'm very regular, but every now and then ovulation can be late due to many things - which is what happened, I must have ovulated just before I was supposed to have my period (which is when we DTD)

it took 3 weeks to get a positive result!

Amber76 Thu 01-May-14 21:28:20

OP here - the answer to my question is yes, definitely possible. Am expecting a December baby!

KitKat1985 Thu 01-May-14 21:31:02

Congrats Amber! smile

Shazam24 Thu 01-May-14 21:52:30

Ooh reading this has give me some hope!! Similar to you op im normally 28 day cycle and im now on 37 with no af but two negative tests!

thepolymysticovary Fri 02-May-14 17:43:42

Hi Amber,

I am in the same boat. I don't have a regular period but have had all the symptoms - stomach cramps, nausea (especially on bus journey's, whoa, it's bad then!, breast pain, weeing frequently etc...especially in the last week or so. Done pregnancy tests every day, but always BFN! Let's hope for that BFP together!!!

thepolymysticovary Fri 02-May-14 17:45:07

Oh, OP, I just read that you got your BFP! Hearty congratulations!!! cake thanks

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 02-May-14 21:04:44

Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now