Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Sat 26-Apr-14 20:20:41

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

MOH's wonderful website is full of useful information on this illness:
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
Another invaluable website is:
www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk/
If you need help in obtaining medication, this phone number is
brilliant:
024 7638 2020

Lastly, the NICE guidelines on treatment are useful:
cks.nice.org.uk/nauseavomiting-in-pregnancy#!prescribinginfosub

I would like to thank Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on this and on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.
So many women on this thread have thought they couldn't get through this, but they did.

LucindaE Sat 31-May-14 11:02:17

CurlsNoMore Left you behind - and maybe HenriettaTurkey
thread ran out new one at
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2092612-Hyperemesis-Support?watched=1
xx

LucindaE Fri 30-May-14 20:19:12

Curls Left you behind. Come and join us on the new thread, this one is used up, link about two posts below.
xxx

CurlsNoMore Thu 29-May-14 22:19:31

Good luck Living!
Thanks booboo :-)

CurlsNoMore Thu 29-May-14 22:16:43

Thank you Meerka - I'm seeing my midwife in the next day or so and see if she can get it sorted. Thanks for the link, I will read up.

Oklahoma Thu 29-May-14 17:42:44

Grrr long post just got deleted!! Short version below:

Living hang on in there. Thrilled to hear things are finally moving along for you.

Sass why are you still trying to work? Surely you should be at home resting?

MrsB yay for feeling better!

In other news, I haven't been sick today. My trusty companion nausea is still around but I haven't actual vomited. There may be hope yet...

Can't remember everything else I wrote so hi everyone will have to do.

LucindaE Thu 29-May-14 17:42:14

My goodness, Thickhead Mother Hen has just realised that we are seriously running out of space, only thirteen posts left after this (Don't worry about that thirteen, I always say it's only unlucky for men!).
Here's the new thread link Everyone!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2092612-Hyperemesis-Support?watched=1

Livingzuid Famous last words from me about you'd be well into it by the time I posted this morning! Best of luck, sorry about sickness, that is horrible.
xx

livingzuid Thu 29-May-14 17:26:18

Promethazine is what I am prescribed as a sleeping tablet! So if possible take it at night. It can make you very dopey the next day.

sasseh and punk avoid driving if you don't have to! Rest up. Thinking of you tomorrow punk at your appointment.

Well it is meconium. But the doctor seemed not too phased by it and said the baby's heartbeat is good. I am being induced around 9pm whoop! Have to go on the iv drip to get contractions going unfortunately and I'm presently rigged up to the heartbeat monitor which makes retching fun sad still feeling very sick. They have started the dilation and just put one tablet in. I am proud to say I was already 3cm dilated which baffled them as I had no obvious contractions grin now feels like bad period pains!

Sorry for sharing it's so boring lying around in hospital waiting for something to happen. lottie, agree, the tears and the sickness have made them very sympathetic smile I think the psychiatrist I saw also said I needed peace and quiet. Dh said there is a family of 7 visiting in one of the wards!

Booboostoo Thu 29-May-14 17:02:27

I hope there's been some progress living! Fingers crossed for you the baby decides to arrive soon!

curls the ginger comment reminds me of an on going Greek anecdote that has happened to almost every vegetarian coming across a traditional Greek cook who wants to stuff her guests to death: upon hearing that the guest is a vegetarian the inevitable reply is "Just vegetables? OK I will get you some lamb or at least some chicken."

Lottiedoubtie Thu 29-May-14 16:48:20

Sorry to hear its slow going living but sounds like you're in good hands. When I was in hospital I got a private room too, I think it's the combination of crying and vomiting that does it wink ...so there is an upside, almost!

PunkStar Thu 29-May-14 16:41:07

Definitely Meerka, any drugs that could knock me out were a favourite of mine.

Meerka Thu 29-May-14 16:29:19

by the way, it can make some people feel very sleepy. being asleep is the best way to ignore the nausea imo! but it doesnt suit everyone

Meerka Thu 29-May-14 16:27:34

curls, have a good look at this site: governmental clinical guidelines for Nausea and Vomitting in Preg

Promethazine is not usually teh first line treatment, but it's quite good. I dont think your doctor is up to date on current thinking. The guidelines above, if you look at the goals page, the idea is that you're given enough treatment to be able to lead a realtivley normal life if you possibly can. Usually cyclizine (another anti-histamine but not as strong) is the first line.

also - all the drugs on the list, including promethazine, are considered generally safe in preg and have often been used for decades, plural.

Try the promethazine, give it 3 or so days to work and if it doesnt, ask for differnt meds. there's a few possibilities.

\Also can you take someone to advocate for you if that will help? someone who's seen how sick you are? it really can be easier if someone is there to support you.

PunkStar Thu 29-May-14 16:21:33

Take it easy Sasseh, keep an eye on those ketones.
Did you say you were driving to work? That's craziness ;-)
Get some rest :-)

PunkStar Thu 29-May-14 16:13:40

Keep going Living
Hope things progress soon. Frustrating when things are going so slowly but at least something is happening....

SassehMonsta Thu 29-May-14 16:06:11

oh dear, all the best living! yes punk its horrendus, I have a supply of sealable sandwich bags in the car& round the house. much easier to clean puke in bags than everywhere else... ended up driving with one hand, holding puke bag with other, struggling to see. Blergh. Suppose after 2 full days with no vomit, 3 times this morning was going to happen at some point. Ketones slightly on the rise again today (between .5 & 1.5) as can't remember to drink lots as feeling crap. Boooo!

livingzuid Thu 29-May-14 14:54:12

Urgh. No serious contractions and they are worried about meconium. My waters were clear then yellow by the time we reached hospital. Odorless. There is th odd bit of what looks like mucus plug but oh well what do I know. The night team didn't think anything of it. Now I have been hooked up to the heart monitor for the last two hours waiting for the doctor to come give a verdict. Have been told all looks good but they need to monitor me constantly. I know it's better to be safe than sorry but I find it all just an extra stress factor.

The bonus is a) I may get induced today and b) I have my own room. The only reason I'd get moved is if an urgent case comes in so that makes me feel a bit better that they would otherwise have put me on the main ward. I was in floods of tears this morning with anxiety and I think that's why I don't have to be out in the larger rooms. Again, a side benefit to bipolar!

And I keep trying to get comfortable and the heartbeat disappears grin

When I gave a list of medication I was on, I asked about my sickness tablets. They don't give them out in hospital, only suppositories! Thank goodness I bought all my medication in. The staff all knew about hypermesis though and have been very sympathetic.

Dh smuggled in for me a diet coke and two quarter pounders grin I am just so tired and I want this baby here and well with us now. I had an hours sleep last night and poor Dh is about to faint with tiredness too.

Sorry can't read people's messages properly but thank you all once again.

PunkStar Thu 29-May-14 14:02:30

Living home run now.....soon be over :-)
Eeee so pleased it will soon be over for you and you'll meet your little bambina :-)

Oh yes Sass absolute nightmare....I have plastic bags and towels in the car but it's such a velocity and volume of vom that it's safer for me to just puke all over self and car and try to keep driving (yup dual carriageways here too)
I would just advise cleaning it ASAP, I went out to a study group last week which went on quite late so it didn't get properly cleaned up until morning and my car stinks. No one else can even smell it though!

I've been banned from driving now, from OH and in laws. With only four days to go it's acceptable though.

Curls glad you got some meds, bah ginger!!!
I told my consultant about the whole ginger thing with us HG folk. He shook his head and said there is absolutely no evidence for it anyway.

I think the best GP for treating HG is one who has experienced it either first hand or through a relative. It's so difficult to even explain the full impact it has. When I was on much higher doses of meds the vomiting was contained but I felt absolutely dreadful and was still pretty much bed bound, however I'm vomiting more now but feel better in comparison. It just has a complete systemic effect.

I honestly think I have been more sane this pregnancy due to this group. It's made me feel normal and appreciate that I'm not being pathetic :-)

MrsB so glad you are on the improve. That is brilliant. I think the fact there are so many of us in this group with full term hyperemesis it can give the impression that it's a rarity for it to improve.
Hopefully you can enjoy being pregnant now!?!

CurlsNoMore Thu 29-May-14 13:23:47

Thank you all for your lovely, welcoming and comforting words! It really has helped - no one close has experienced this. I felt better on Tuesday and now starting to get that returning feeling again. (No one can explain why it is coming and going on a cycle.)

I saw my normally lovely GP, but as soon as she suggested ginger I knew she didn't understand. She has given me some promethazine but strongly suggested I didn't take it. However, I will as feeling so floored isn't sustainable.

I will get some ketostix, thank you. I've got the next couple of weeks off work so plan to relax and rest up. Thank you all and best wishes to everyone. X

Meerka Thu 29-May-14 12:54:01

Oh living great news! at last it'll be all be over before too long! (even if it's an interesting time getting to the 'all over point')

thinking of you, all the best !

<waves to everyone> sasseh the driving thing sounds awful, punk gets that too doesnt she. Horrendous and scary

mrsnec Thu 29-May-14 12:06:23

Sounds like a good day all round!

great news Living. Hope Dh brings you some nice food later.

Mrsb glad to hear you're feeling better too.

sass sorry to hear about the driving experience but good news you got your meds. My doc says to go in after 4 times in a day so hopefully you can keep the rest of the day puke free.

SassehMonsta Thu 29-May-14 10:35:36

Thanks MrsB - just what I needed today! Been sick 3 times already, the third time was as I was driving down a dual carriageway with no-where to stop, whacked my double hazards on and kept going slow until I could pull over somewhere. Horrible experience thatI don't want to repeat. Suffice to say I turned round and didn't go to work today.

Got my meds from Drs. hurrah.

mrsb87 Thu 29-May-14 10:23:55

Fantastic news living!!! I hope everything goes smoothly for you. I am so pleased this horrid illness is almost over for you!

I just wanted to pop back and give some reassurance to the new guys suffering at the worst stage of HG. I'm 22wks and have steadily been getting better since week 19. At my worst I had 3 hospital admissions in as many weeks and couldn't even contemplate working.

This week I have felt almost back to "normal", I have cooked meals, done cleaning and been to work. It's been brilliant! I'm still on ondansatron every day but that's what is helping me get some of my life back. I just hope this gives you some hope, I know at 9/10 weeks had no hope it would get better!

livingzuid Thu 29-May-14 10:09:00

Thanks all smile nothing much to report, the baby's heartrate is fine and she seems quite content given the amount of fluid I've passed! There are contractions happening which are of the cervix dilation type rather than labour but better than than nothing. Had a shower, feel a bit more human, dh is with me and it's all a bit anti climatic grin waiting to be moved to the ward where I intend on going to sleep for a while and dh will go home and rest. I will be induced early tomorrow if nothing else happens so want to rest up.

And yep, still got bad nausea. Feeling very sick. Not improved by the hospital food which is really quite grim. Dh is going to being me food later!

Lottiedoubtie Thu 29-May-14 09:39:33

Yay, living so exciting, hope it doesn't last too long!

LucindaE Thu 29-May-14 09:33:13

Just dashing on to say Livingzuid Great news! You're probably on the second stage or delivered by now, but the best of luck belatedly and hugs, or maybe, pats...
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now