Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Sat 26-Apr-14 20:20:41

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

MOH's wonderful website is full of useful information on this illness:
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
Another invaluable website is:
www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk/
If you need help in obtaining medication, this phone number is
brilliant:
024 7638 2020

Lastly, the NICE guidelines on treatment are useful:
cks.nice.org.uk/nauseavomiting-in-pregnancy#!prescribinginfosub

I would like to thank Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on this and on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.
So many women on this thread have thought they couldn't get through this, but they did.

mrsb87 Sun 27-Apr-14 11:53:03

I think I may go home, I will have to stay til after the other guy has had his lunch break. I'm sure the tears are partly hormonal but I'm in a bit of a mess.

livingzuid Sun 27-Apr-14 12:07:18

mrsb get ye home to bed and some crap Sunday tv. You aren't well and need to rest. Don't go tomorrow if you are still sick, take some time to get back on your feet again.

lottie sad Tuesday will come quickly at least then you will know. It's the waiting I found to be the hardest thing. Do you think work will help distract you or would you rather stay at home?

I wept and wailed this morning as well for about an hour. Nothing DH could say or do was good enough. I have only had 4 hours sleep which I blame as the main contributing factor! My mum is going again on Wednesday so it's hardly to boo's level but it shouldn't be stressing me out this much. DH has promised me a massage today also on my hands. I feel arthritic in my fingers.

Tired btw makes my hg much worse. Awesome huh?

livingzuid Sun 27-Apr-14 12:08:35

I was thinking a bit more about the tiredness thing and, if you look at Kate and then the size of George, it's not surprising is it that we get so sick? He's a whopper! All of that effort and energy our bodies are putting into growing the baby. No wonder it floors some of us.

Lottiedoubtie Sun 27-Apr-14 12:54:59

DH and I keep crying, it's just awful. I've only ever seen him cry about twice before and it's always been a really serious situation. (I'm a crier, and most things result in tears for me!)

Going to work will I hope make the time pass faster, this weekend is like purgatory, I can't seem to make myself actually do anything and time is crawling by. I'm worried about crying at work though, we work together and we've had to tell our Head why we're both going to be off and will have to tell our (different) line managers tomorrow. We don't really want the whole staff to know but it's going to be hard to hide I think.

Meerka Sun 27-Apr-14 13:19:50

<shares her boxes of tissues around> what a week for everyone ... mrsb I do hope you've been able to go home!

living, yes, if only we could sleep

lottie ... just flowers for you and your husband. It must be so hard for them seeing us go through this :s I hope yoru line managers are supportive.

livingzuid Sun 27-Apr-14 13:36:30

It is so horrible to see our men cry isn't it. I'm so sorry you are both having to go through this. And not even able to have comfort cake or wine

I'm sure your managers will be sensitive to what you are going through.

mrsb87 Sun 27-Apr-14 16:13:24

Yes I'm home now. Managed to get off a few hrs early.

Lottie I'm so sorry, I do hope there is good news for you along the line xx

LucindaE Sun 27-Apr-14 17:19:59

Oh dear, Everyone! Bad times all round. Gentle pats on offer.
xx

starrynight123 Sun 27-Apr-14 19:49:49

Sending hugs and boxes of tissues all round to everyone this Sunday. What would we do without this thread? Cue more sobbing - and definitely from me.

Dh was staying with me at my mother's for a few days and he has just gone back home... sobbing away because I miss him so much and I'm going to be seeing him on Sunday. Never used to be so clingy, but times they have a'changed.

Hope everyone is okay as can be given the joys of this awful sickness.

starrynight123 Sun 27-Apr-14 19:51:23

Forgot to ask - I had a quick question about metoclopramide: I've been taking it since February and it's now almost May and I'm 25wks. My GP has prescribed another month's tablets for me. I'm worried that it isn't okay to take for such a long time and so far into my pregnancy... or am I worrying for no reason??

Meerka Sun 27-Apr-14 20:46:31

hm. seem to be mixed reports. It seems safe enough in the baby and it's been used for years with no bad effects for the baby, but it does seem to have an increasing risk of side effects of restless movement in you after 12 weeks. The chances are still small, but if you were unlucky then the results could be permanent :/

It could be worth asking for something else; promethazine or prochlorperazine maybe? ( I am not a doctor!!! but these are commonly used, check out the Preg Sickness Support site that lucinda links above). It might be worth ringing them too and they will ring you back; they have a lovely experienced (retired) doctor who will know a lot more. He's excellent.

sorry, not entirely reassuring.

Meerka Sun 27-Apr-14 20:48:16

metoclopramide. It's Federal Drug Category B for use in preg, which is pretty reassuring from the pov of the baby.

petitlapin1 Sun 27-Apr-14 23:03:42

Checking in. Few good days to report, cooked roast dinner today, and ate it!
Find I'm really missing sweet things at the minute, they either set me off with hg or heartburn.

Completely agree with you living about tiredness aggravating hg. I thought I was using sleep as behavioural coping (I don't vomit when I sleep etc) at the start but soon realised my days without napping/lie ins/early nights were much worse.

meerka is it tomorrow they try again to get baby out? If so, good luck!

Lottie fingers crossed for tuesday for you.

starry just my experience but I'm now 36 weeks and in week 20 of metoclopramide. No side effects here yet...

mrsnec Mon 28-Apr-14 06:59:07

Hi all,

Mrsb hope you got home and got some rest in the end.

Meerka and Lottie, thinking of you both.

Definitely needed those pats and tissues here yesterday. I felt rotten and missed a party my friend was having for her daughter's birthday. Dh didn't want to go without me and I felt bad for spoiling his fun.

Petit, well done there is no way I would have been able to do that yesterday!

mrsb87 Mon 28-Apr-14 08:21:21

Yes had a rest and watched a film last night with dh. I decided to take today off too so I can have a proper rest.

Wow petit that's a great accomplishment! I've cooked a couple of things like risotto and homemade tomato sauce and pasta. Nothing too complicated!

LucindaE Mon 28-Apr-14 08:53:19

Petitlapin Well done, cooking a roast - and so good about good days.
mrsb87 That was nice and relaxing and you need some time off for sure. thirty-six weeks, you must be so relived you are slowly moving forward.
mrsnec sad about party - women on this thread get so upset with this about feeling they are letting others down, having to 'neglect' (temporarily) children, at work, socially etc and blame themselves, though they'd never blame anyone else in the same situation.
Meerka Great advice, as ever, and thinking of you.
Starry So agree with above advice about the results of research.
Apologies to anyone rudely ignored/cross posted with.
xx

Oklahoma Mon 28-Apr-14 09:05:38

Moan alert
Jet lag + HG = disaster
Have been sick all night and just want to curl up and die right now. How did I possibly think that I could cope with this!?

Mrsnec lots of sympathy for yesterday. It really sucks missing out on things and I totally get the guilt. I feel like I have ruined the last 2 months of DH's life as I never want to do anything so he keeps missing out.

Can I pop in to say hello?
I don't think I have HG but I have been sick quite a lot in this pregnancy and exhausted with nausea.
This morning I got up early to go to a training course but had very violent vomiting with bile. (FOUL stuff). I am completely worn out now & in bed.

Am I resting though? noooooo. I am totally beating myself up about missing the training, being a wuss, thinking it's all in my head (??). It is actually very comforting to read this thread and see others feel the same.

I am 16 + 4 by the way, first pregnancy and I am thrilled to be pregnant. We did IVF and I am so happy it worked. Just struggling with all this guilt now.

mrsnec Mon 28-Apr-14 10:01:15

Tak1 hello and sorry to hear you're struggling too. Congrats on the pg too. I am at a similar stage to you. I haven't been diagnosed with hg either but I have been feeling like you in terms of the sickness and the guilt! I've found everyone on this thread a great support despite the fact that I'm not suffering half as badly as some of them.

I feel better after lots of rest too so that's probably the best thing for you at the moment. I've given myself a day off today too.

Oaklahoma sorry to hear you had a bad day yesterday too. It's comforting to know everyone feels the guilt thing too.

Meerka Mon 28-Apr-14 10:01:22

hello taking, big congrats on your pregnancy! such a shame that you've become so sick sad

Please do not feelt guilty. you and the baby are more important than any training course!

It is not all in your head. It's the HcG hormone that makes you sick, the precise mechanism isn;t quite understood but it's definitely the HcG hormone that's the main culprit. Serious MD is a real illness, not imaginary, and people who say that it's all stress are simply not up to date.

So please, do take it easy, you are ill, and feeling guilty just won't help. The two or three main things are to keep yoru liquid intake up (that's more important than eating actually) and consider askign for meds, if you are having to take time off you're not in a very good way and early meds help avoid the worse of the sickness. Lastly, take it easy - seriously! tiredness / stress does make it worse.

Do hope you feel a bit better soon

okla .. so sorry to hear you're that bad again. Take it easy too!! <brings ice chips and closes the curtains>

Thank you ladies thanks

Nearly cried at your nice words as I phoned home and my mum basically told me to pull myself together and work must be getting cheesed off with me by now.

I cant pull myself together! If I could, I would.

Oklahoma Mon 28-Apr-14 10:25:02

Tak if only it was that easy! I've been off work for 6 weeks now and am still feeling guilty about it. It's not in your head, you're ill. I know it's hard but please try not to beat yourself up about it.

Meerka Mon 28-Apr-14 10:25:44

People who havent been through it don't understand ... those who have, remember with a shudder, at the very least. (horror, in some cases!) Most peopel find hte nausea worse than the actual vomitting, it's so unrelenting.

Lucinda put links to some sites up in the first post, there's some hint on them as to things to eat and drink that can help some women. Maybe you can find something that works for you there, everyone's different, some people can't stand melon and it's the only thing others can eat for example.

Do consider seeing your doctor. the lighter meds are pretty light, such as cyclizine + B6, absolutely safe and they do help some people. The governmental guidelines are that you shoudl be given enough support to be able to lead your life pretty well normally, which doesnt sound like the case atm.

mrsb87 Mon 28-Apr-14 10:48:32

lucinda if only I was 36wks! I'm 18wks today. Having a lazy bed day. I get the guilt terrible. I feel like if I'm not at work I should be filling my day with other household tasks and keeping busy. But obviously this completely misses the point of having a rest day! Stupid brain!!.

Hi tak1ing! I'm on the October thread with you. The morning bile runs are the worst! Every morning without fail for me still.

Hi mrsb!! <waves at October birthing buddy> smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now