Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Sat 26-Apr-14 20:20:41

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

MOH's wonderful website is full of useful information on this illness:
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
Another invaluable website is:
www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk/
If you need help in obtaining medication, this phone number is
brilliant:
024 7638 2020

Lastly, the NICE guidelines on treatment are useful:
cks.nice.org.uk/nauseavomiting-in-pregnancy#!prescribinginfosub

I would like to thank Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on this and on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.
So many women on this thread have thought they couldn't get through this, but they did.

livingzuid Sat 10-May-14 13:07:42

mrsnec I have a similar problem as I did German. Dh and his friends all laughed at me when I tried out my Dutch and said I sounded German. I always get the words mixed up too.

meerka we have the same problem just in reverse grin

Very envious of all the trilingual families out there. I was raised as bilingual in mandarin would you believe and was bilingual till we moved back. My brother continued lessons but I was deemed not as important to keep going angry

Lottiedoubtie Sat 10-May-14 17:19:05

Bah, now I've got a cold as well!

Sinus' all blocked up, blowing nose everywhere, cough.

Bleugh. Although a sneaky part of me is revelling in a different sort of illness to a pregnancy one hmm it's horrible but not nearly so depressing! Is that really odd?

LucindaE Sat 10-May-14 20:00:49

Lottie Poor you about enjoying a cold - shows how horrible this is! Doesn't a blocked nose and sneezing make you feel sicker, though?
You Linguistic Lot - Mandarin, Livinzuid, wow - 'A' levels in Spanish and German, was that mrsnec? I'm so ashamed; semi fluent in Welsh, very bad French, poor accent, mix up tenses, etc. Starry is that an internet thing, this 'memrise'? hope Eveyrone's reasonably OK.
Kalidasa How are things?
Petitlapin Next for release from this condition.
How is Evreybody Very windy here in Mid Wales and rainy.
xx

Oklahoma Sun 11-May-14 08:55:54

Been very grumpy last few days and the thread seemed quite happy so have been lurking rather that posting so I don't bring the mood down.

Booboostoo Sun 11-May-14 09:01:05

mrsnec Greek is a really difficult language to pick up, I don't envy you!

living Mandarin! Now that is a useful language.

Having a bit of a crappy week here. Week 21 just finished and it was worse than before which has me a bit stumped really. Things were looking up from week 17 onwards, fewer bad days and the intensity of the nausea was down, but it doesn't make sense now. Last pregnancy I had a nice, calm HG-free spell in the middle, I am a bit worried I won't even get that now. Any tiny amount of tiredness and the HG flares up, but seriously I am not doing anything strenuous, just the bare minimum.

LucindaE Sun 11-May-14 09:15:58

Boo and Okla Sorry about these relapses - don't feel bad for posting how miserable you feel, that's what this thread is for! Hugs.
xx

mrsnec Sun 11-May-14 10:04:47

Living, yes I agree mandarin is very useful! Everyone here speaks English except my neighbours so I abandoned the Greek for a while as I was learning a whole new language and alphabet to communicate with one person! My french and Spanish have been useless here and even my greek to some extent. Even the minimum wage jobs here now want fluent Russian! But I do use the Greek I know to read things like roadsigns,menus and labels in supermarkets etc. That ap is great it's good to have something else to do instead of telly and mags. Doubt I'm absorbing anything though! Boo yes greek is hard. Never been convinced the effort is appreciated either!

Lottie, hope you're feeling better.
kali, any news?
Oaklahoma and Boo I agree with Lucinda and I feel a bit the same. Guess I'm just trying to put on a brave face I think it's anxiety over my next scan too.

Kels13 Sun 11-May-14 10:06:55

Hi ladies, can I join you?! Am due 15 October, so 18 weeks and have been very sick since about week 6. I've finally had enough and am going to head to the docs this week. Can't take anymore of continuous nausea, exhaustion and sickness sad Any survival tips? Have tried all the usual a I swear! Nothing works anymore... X

Oklahoma Sun 11-May-14 10:39:55

Hi Kels we can offer lots of emotional support through the crapness that is HG but none of us have a miracle cure I'm afraid.

Drugs help, so definitely go to your GP and lots of them are perfectly safe to take when pregnant so don't worry about that.

Are you getting enough fluids? That is really important. Sounds like you've tried the usual ice lollies, very cold drinks etc? Everyone on here has different things that work.

And lastly lots and lots of sympathy! Everyone on this thread is going through or has been through the same do moan as much as you want and we'll do our best to help!

Booboostoo Sun 11-May-14 10:40:09

I have the 22wk scan on Tuesday as well which is a bit stressful so that could explain the extra nausea?

livingzuid Sun 11-May-14 10:40:36

kels sorry you are struggling. You are doing the best thing by getting to the doctor as soon as possible. Make sure you stay hydrated above all else - ice cold water in sips, diet coke and slushies (my fave), flat coke, fruit juices - anything liquid you can tolerate. Forget diet or eating healthy just eat what you can. Get signed off as well if possible as the tiredness and over extertion makes it worse. Rest up and sleep as much as possible.

I was so down in the dumps last week I couldn't bear to keep moaning and being a bore. I'm just shattered this week - last night I had about 4 hours broken sleep which I think is the fault of the full moon! My hands are so sore and swollen I can't even hold my toothbrush properly. My foods are now limited to :

Nutella on white toast
Burgers
Hash browns
Gala melon
Soleros

Drink:
Ice water
Tonic and orange
Milk whole
Tap diet coke
Red slushies or mango and pineapple from mcds

How random a mix is that? And I am so thirsty I am drinking about 4 litres of fluid a day of which 2 litres is water if not more. Just thinking back to earlier discussions. This is to do with my lithium so I have to drink as much as I can. Every hour, day or night, I need to go. Especially now the baby is pressing down. So uncomfortable sigh. And turning at night is like doing an assault course.

punk great advice on the stretch marks I will check it out. In true Dutch fashion my consultant said my lower stomach area was 'ruined' grin which dh was trying to assure me was the closest approximation to a Dutch word for 'lots but normal' hehe, not that I believe him. Funnily enough it's the one thing I don't mind as it's such a visible sign of her growth which has been a major anxiety point for me. I want them to go away, don't get me wrong but there have been far worse things in this pregnancy than stretch marks, which I had before anyway. We are trying olive oil at the moment which I have heard good things about. I know they will always be there but it can't be a bad thing to keep the skin nice.

Ah ladies, never feel like you can't say how low you feel as this is a safe space to vent smile lord knows I've done it enough and it has helped so much.

livingzuid Sun 11-May-14 10:47:11

boo I cried before every scan up until about three weeks ago. It's definitely hard and you must be so keen to get out of the French system too. It's always better post scan smile

ziggystarducks Sun 11-May-14 10:47:42

Morning all xxx

I briefly appeared on the old thread as I am now 10 weeks and experienced severe HG in my previous pregnancy. I was so worried about it recurring I immediately visited a hypnotist who I'd been told could help nausea.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. sad

Useless GP put me on Metaclopramide which did nowt.

The HG has escalated over the last 4 weeks, life has pretty much ground to a halt. Which is hard with an active 3 yr old and a busy job.

On Thursday a much better GP spoke to the hospital and got permission to prescribe Cyclizine.
It completely stopped the nausea and the vomiting. grin

BUT, it gives me an upset tummy and makes me feel a bit spaced out. Preferable to nausea but not great, especially when driving shock

Has anyone else tried it? I won't be allowed it in 3rd trimester apparently as it causes foetal 'agitation'?

This is my 3rd baby and definitely my last after bad HG on both previous dc!!

I also had a scan on Wednesday which revealed we were expecting twins but one has not made it sadly. The remaining baby looked great though, real relief to see everything looking well and good.

MrsHende Sun 11-May-14 10:52:05

Just popping in quickly to say hello.

I've started back at work with a phased return half days last week and next. I started on Thursday, which was fine and so lovely to have some different company and a distraction but Friday morning was pretty hard going. I was sick for the first time in 2 weeks and really struggled. However, I managed and I'm sure it will get easier as I get used to getting up early again. I think part of the problem was brushing my teeth so early so I think I'll leave a toothbrush and paste at work and just brush them when I get in.

I'm a primary school teacher and my kids were so lovely to me, with lots of lovely cards and making things for me to welcome me back! It's nice to be missed! I was explaining to them that they didn't need to a worry about me and that I had been very sick but it wasn't a bug and they wouldn't catch anything. I was about to tell them that it was because I was having a baby but my body didn't much like me having a baby in my tummy when one of them put her hand up and said, "oh, is it a tapeworm?'!!!! That then started a stream of suggestion from cancer to having swallowed a rat!! I could barely talk for laughing! I managed to set them straight though and they were delighted - except the boy who was really hoping a rat was involved!

Hello to everyone who's been on since the last time I was here. For the newbies, I'm so sorry you're having to be here but very happy you've found the thread. I'm not a prolific poster - didn't feel up to it when I was in the throes of the worst of the HG and now trying to keep busy. However, I lurk a lot and have found a mountain of good advice and comfort.

LucindaE Sun 11-May-14 11:30:44

Kels13 Welcome, you've been heroic to survive this without meds, but as others say, there are so many safe ones, don't try and struggle on without them. I don't think I can improve on advice from the others- sure someone mentioned those famous kesostix to check for dehydration from chemists - and excellent detailed advice, too - I found full sugar coke reduced the nausea, sips of it, left to go flat, but many, like Livngzuid swear by the diet sort. Nibbles of crisps. People seemed divided about ice cream. I found the cheap strawberry stuff helpful.
Ziggy Hello again. I'm sure someone will be along who can advise about cyclezine - I'm so glad it's helping, it's normally the first they try, I think, and so hopefully they'll be able to give you something that helps as much or more if you still need it in the third tri. You're very brave to go for it twice.
Livinzguid Great advice.
mrsnec Fluent Russian for minimum wages jobs, my goodness, are you serious?! Did you say you live in Cyprus?
Boo Very likely it is anxiety about scan. Chances are massively all will be fine, but I know how nerve wracking it is.
waves to Lottie Okla and all, goes of clucking. Apologies if I've ignored anyone rudely, or cross posted.
xx

Georgebythesea Sun 11-May-14 11:32:01

@Kels13 Sorry to hear you have been feeling so awful.Everyone here is very supportive.I'm 19 weeks so just a week ahead of you.I started feeling sick at week 6 and the worst weeks were week 7-16 but although not continuously nauseous anymore I'm still very exhausted and faint and struggling a lot with eating/nauseous/tummy problems..I've been off work since week 7 and resting as much as possible,which I would recommend.
I have tried stemetil and metrochlopromide both of which made me feel awful..I've also been prescribed cyclizine but haven't taken it yet so will be interested to hear what people say about it?
Sorry others who are feeling rough..it's so horrible isn't it and often feels too much to even write anything but so good to know you are not al

Georgebythesea Sun 11-May-14 11:33:11

Alone! We will all make it through somehow! Ah October seems so far away at the mo!

LucindaE Sun 11-May-14 11:34:09

MrsHendesorry, I think I deleted the part of my message for you.
Thanks so much for your post, it's so nice when people come back to encourage others, and congratulations on being well enough to go back to work. Do keep us posted on how it goes and I'm so glad you've found this thread useful. Always feel free to vent if it comes back. Take it easy and about tooth cleaning - I found rubbing kids strawberry toothpaste with fingers,or rinsing out with bicarb of soda diluted ways of cleaning teeth without bringing on retching fits...
xx

LucindaE Sun 11-May-14 11:35:20

GeorgebytheSea 'This Too Will Pass'. hope that isn't annoying.
xx

Georgebythesea Sun 11-May-14 11:41:02

Thanks LucindaE and no not annoying..smile by the way i know I've mentioned it before but does anyone have any tips for the constant horrendous taste and/or the excessive saliva spitting thing..it is driving me crazy!! I am having to literally spit constantly and the taste is so so horrible that it takes over everything and can't ignore it.

starrynight123 Sun 11-May-14 11:41:50

lucinda memrise is an app for mobile phones and you can also use it online - all for free! Here is a link for it - www.memrise.com It has been proving a bit of a lifesaver for me when I’m feeling low and can’t do anything but sit very, very still.

Hurray for Eurovision - watched it while chatting with a good friend online and it provided lots of entertainment and laughter :-)

oklahoma I agree with everyone else - this is the perfect place to vent when you need to. We all understand and support you. It is such a horrid, frustrating and isolating illness that if I didn’t have this thread, I’d have gone off my rocker some months ago. Please don’t feel you have to hold back.

Kels13 Sun 11-May-14 11:48:49

Thank you ladies, nice to know there's somewhere with people who understand who won't just say 'you should be blooming by now' 'you're just going to have to get through it' and my fave 'try ginger biscuits'! Will look for te kesostix hasn't heard of those thank you xx

Oklahoma Sun 11-May-14 12:14:03

George I find polos and very cold tonic water cut through the taste.

Oklahoma Sun 11-May-14 12:16:02

Kels there was an amusing conversation on here a few weeks ago after my MIL suggested ginger one too many times. Apparently the Chinese? (whoever posted this please correct me) used to put it up the other end as a form of torture. Makes me smile every time someone suggests ginger now.

livingzuid Sun 11-May-14 12:44:48

george hot water with a slice of lemon or lime worked for me. Or chewing gum immediately after a meal. Or tonic, definitely agree with that. It's a wunder drink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now