Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What's different about a third pregnancy?

(23 Posts)
raisinbranwhole Thu 24-Apr-14 18:13:36

I am four weeks with baby#3 smile

Just wondering if anything's different about a third pregnancy as opposed to the other two. I seem to remember horrible rumours about the third labour being the worst, but can't remember much more.

Do you feel symptoms earlier? Will I be in maternity clothes from next week?

Any experiences?

Monkeyandanimal Thu 24-Apr-14 18:19:00

My 3rd labour was good and calm. I felt like an expert and was left to do my own thing at my own pace. The worst thing about being pregnant with number 3 is having to look after DC 1 and 2! No lie-ins or naps for you when minding toddlers (how old are your other 2?). Attending midwife and scans with two in tow no fun either. But, pleasant surprise; managing once DC3 was born was a much easier than i expected. Congratulations and good luck!

raisinbranwhole Thu 24-Apr-14 18:31:44

That's what I need to hear! I have a hazy recollection of a midwife laughing about labour #2 about how I should 'just wait until #3'... smile

DD will be almost 4yr5m and DS 22m when this one arrives if all goes well, so DD will be at school during the day. Bit apprehensive about the smaller gap between #2 and #3 but it's not as small as many I've seen and they've all coped!!

raisinbranwhole Thu 24-Apr-14 18:32:01

after, not about...

slightlyinsane Thu 24-Apr-14 20:11:08

I'd say mine was pretty much the same as pp said, good and calm. It was like I finally new what I was doing and much more aware of what I did and didn't need to do. I'm absolutely rubbish at monitoring contractions, I've never really done it after the first hr or so once I'd decided I was in labour. But no3 were really irregular and even had about an hr of none around halfway through. When I phoned hospital to tell them I was going in they were adamant they would be sending me home. I new different, I was at hospital 40 minutes before he arrived. My advice is listen to what your bodyis ttelling you not what the text book says is supposed to be happening.
As for the actual pregnancy bit it is completely knackering as you don't get to stop, early nights are your best friend. Take any help you can get whenever you can get it. Good luck

3DcAndMe Thu 24-Apr-14 20:13:10

My third labour was my easiest and most pleasant

Dc1&2 had days of slow labour followed by 12 hours full labour

Dc3 flew out in 5 hours from first twinge

Pregnancy was painful though. Spd and tiredness

3DcAndMe Thu 24-Apr-14 20:14:18

With dc 3 I was 7cm by the time I arrived at hospital after about 2 hours of contractions, I nearly did cartwheels when they told me that

Sillylass79 Thu 24-Apr-14 20:14:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pregnantagain7 Thu 24-Apr-14 20:18:51

My third labour was fine and by far the biggest baby, pregnancy was crap though really bad spd which I never had with my first two. Also I was much more tired but I think that was just having two children to look after.

Mildpanic Thu 24-Apr-14 20:56:55

Easiest pregnancy for me and I was latter end of 42.
Much less intervention, ie midwife appointments. Only had to go to hospital for 20 week scan. Planned CS as 2 previous CS. Went into labour early, ( before CS) date, laboured for 12 hours but no dilation at all. As previously. Easy CS, home after 24 hours. All good.

toffeelolly Thu 24-Apr-14 21:18:05

My third labour was the worst. Sick up till 22 weeks, going into early labour at 31 weeks which they managed to stop, more labour pain at 34 weeks , which went on and off over 2 days. In hospital for week 34 to 36 and managed to get to 39 weeks. Birth was worst to. My first to pregnancys were good.

twowasthemagicnumber Thu 24-Apr-14 21:19:03

Early days for me, but so far I have been less sick and far, far more tired than with my other 2 (in fact I am just up after falling asleep for an hour in DS2's bed, and am just going to go back to bed myself). And generally Ive been less preoccupied by being pregnant as I don't have the time to think about it. My god, the tiredness though! I didn't really get this with my other pregnancies, but now I know what people are talking about.

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 24-Apr-14 21:31:52

My 3rd pregnancy was the worst - spd and a few hospital trips with different concerns (not experienced in other 2 pregnancies). The birth was the worst, too - ended up having a life-saving emergency c-section.

Yoruba Thu 24-Apr-14 22:48:21

Am 39 weeks with dc 3. This pregnancy has actually been the easiest so far, only beginning to feel " that's enough" now. Much more active / able to cope than with DS or dd, but then you have to I guess!

I will have almost exactly the same age gaps as you op. dd is 4y 9m and DS 22m. I'm worried about the difference too! Dd was in preschool whereas I have no childcare for DS at all. Mind you DS still has a good nap so that will make a real difference (I hope!)

Catflap1 Thu 24-Apr-14 23:21:12

My 3rs labour was the quickest but def the most intense and painful, all my dd where fast 1st under 45 mins from waking him labour, second 15 mins from first contraction but my 3 rd was 12 mins from first contraction at 5cm, going from 5 to having her in 12 minutes was mental, felt like a raving car going through me!

Yoruba Thu 24-Apr-14 23:25:51

12 mins!! shock

ilovebooks Fri 25-Apr-14 11:23:42

My 3rd is dead easy so far, now 26 weeks and feeling very lucky. It is going exceptionally fast though as I am so busy.. not sure if this is positive or negative! Also am feeling guilty sometimes that I am not thinking about the baby enough and worrying about the effect on the other two when he arrives.
Can foresee a lot of last minute preparations as am definitely not as organised this time around!!

cakeymccakington Fri 25-Apr-14 11:26:31

My third pg was my easiest although that could just be because I was so busy with 2 other babies I didn't have time to think about it!

My second labour was my nicest, third was quick (48 mins) and a bit too intense lol

lucyfluff Fri 25-Apr-14 11:37:13

My third pregnancy was nice and easy except from nasty heartburn towards the end! The labour was very quick too 1.5 hours but he was 10 days late so kept me waiting grin

EllaBella220 Fri 25-Apr-14 14:38:13

So far this 3rd pregnancy has been a bit different to my first 2. A few early trips to hospital due to bleeding, feeling sick quite a bit (but never throwing up), constant headaches and just feeling pretty crappy! Now I'm at 18 weeks everything seems to have settled but I am still rather nervous as I'm not feeling much movement (although I think the baby woke me rather early this morning with some surprise kicks which was lovely) and I haven't got a bump yet. I'm happy to say that the cravings have all been for 'clean' foods so far and I haven't put on weight yet which I had done with my other 2 at this stage.

I am terrified of what is coming because my youngest is almost 8 so I've had a very, VERY easy life this past few years with being a stay at home Mum to 2 boys who didn't ask for much and who didn't need anything done for them, except baths but my partner usually did that while I just made supper and sorted PJs etc so I am in for a shock when this newborn comes along and I actually have to do stuff. To be honest though I am really excited by the thought of it all even though it's scary.

Really hoping 3rd labour is as easy as my Mum and MIL tell me.....very fast and easy with barely any recovery time needed. Fingers crossed!

Beckjennick Sun 27-Apr-14 21:17:57

I feel sick every day and so very tired! Only 8weeks and can't imagine how I am going to get through it! First 2 pregnancies were great, I am older but really look dreadful (more than usual). Also a bit worried that my career may be dead as by the time my new little one goes to preschool I will be mid 40's. My children are the best decision I made so don't get me wrong, just having a few new fears with the third pregnancy.

SicknSpan Sun 27-Apr-14 22:47:09

Very similar to previous 2. Although HG not as bad this time (hurrah!), I have found it physically harder this time round, like a pp said the tiredness! OM actual G it was crippling. Better now at 35 weeks oddly.

I guess I would find it harder though, dc are 9 and 5 so the first time I got pregnant was 10 years ago- I'm hardly a slip of a girl any more smile

Hoping labour will be as straightforward as theirs too, 4.5 and 5 hours so please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Good luck with your no.3 x

Rosalie82 Mon 28-Apr-14 08:45:10

I'm 32 wks with no. 3 and am feeling ok - never sail through pregnancy, but it's not bad.

Just trying to keep the weight down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now