Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused over midwife stuff.

(16 Posts)
ohthegoats Thu 24-Apr-14 18:01:53

I was booked in by a midwife at the hospital at 8 weeks. She wasn't one of the midwives linked to my clinic, it was a Saturday, and she didn't have any of the normal Bounty type stuff to give me.

Because I was going to do the Harmony test, she didn't book me in for a 12 week scan or Nuchal/bloods with the NHS, since I got that as part of the Harmony deal.

Today I saw a consultant because I'm high risk due to a blood problem. At the consultant unit, a midwife saw me for about 5 minutes, did the Doppler thing and tested urine etc. I then saw the consultant who referred me for the 20 week scan, because that hadn't been done yet either.

I've tried over the last few weeks to contact my 'local' midwives to ask some questions about holidays, and whether I was on the hospital system, and a) never get the phone answered, and b) never get a return call if I leave a message.

I'm seeing a consultant now at 23 weeks, but no information about anything to do with seeing a midwife at all ever.

I sort of want a local contact who I can actually speak to, and might vaguely know who I am. I also want the normal pack that everyone else gets, just because. Would I be a nob to phone for a midwife appointment (that's if I can get one/get the phone answered), just to meet someone?

What's the normal deal with midwives? I feel like I'm missing out, but am I?

peeapod Thu 24-Apr-14 18:07:53

It sounds to me like your under consultant led care, which is hospital based. I would ring for clarification of what you can expect in this case, as it can vary from area to area.

Some areas you don't get a named midwife, some you do, some you get a local midwife as well as a consultant led care some you don't.

ring and check...

alita7 Thu 24-Apr-14 18:08:44

So far (12 weeks ) mine has gone on holiday and sent another one (why didn't they just give me her -.-) and I've tried to change the 16 week appointment I was given but midwife was away for 3 weeks and hasn't answered her phone.

So I saw the other one at 8 weeks, so did bloods and urine. She asked lots of questions, about medical history and genetics, mental health, previous pregnancies, etc etc. she gave me a copy of these notes and lots of leaflets. and that's about it.

ohthegoats Thu 24-Apr-14 18:13:09

From the booking appointment, it sounded like I should have a local midwife - hence why I've got phone numbers. But maybe not now I'm under the consultant.

Thing is, consultants don't take phone calls about random small issues (not that I've had any, I was just wondering), and are only available via a receptionist between 9 and 5.

Probably this is going to be another thing that just slightly irritates me about the NHS. I know they are stretched etc, but I've never had a good experience with anything medical. Perhaps my expectations are too high!!

MummaSmurf1 Thu 24-Apr-14 18:34:18

I'm under consultant and see the community midwives too. You'll need both as no consultant will come and check baby at home etc. Will your GP surgery help get you a MW appointment?

m0therofdragons Thu 24-Apr-14 18:40:14

I was under consultant care and saw them every 2 weeks for scan and consultant so didn't see a mw at all after my 8 week booking appointment. Didn't get a bounty pack - thought they'd stopped them actually now but maybe that's just my area. There is an NHS baby book I got that's quite useful so might be worth asking about.

For consultant appointments - write a list of questions and write the answers as they say them so you can A) check they've actually answered and B) Remember after. I know it sounds anal but I came out of apps thinking oh no I forgot to ask about xy and z.

You can book additional MW appointments - my GP kept encouraging me to but as I was having a CS and already had the fortnightly appointments and a toddler to care for I didn't bother. Are you signed up for hospital tour or antenatal classes at the hospital? You'll see a mw there. xx

m0therofdragons Thu 24-Apr-14 18:42:01

I think once your pg is passed the 24weeks you can call the labour ward (you should have their 24hour number) and ask them questions - in Somerset that's what you do. If they were busy they would offer to call back and did.

Woobeedoo Thu 24-Apr-14 18:46:24

I too was under consultant care but also saw the local midwives frequently.

I'd give your local GP a call, they could have forgotten to pass your info onto the community midwives.

m0therofdragons Thu 24-Apr-14 18:47:07

Sorry, just remembered my last mw (I went alone as DH was working and didn't seem necessary for him to come). mw spent most of it panicking that one of my test results hadn't come back - the HIV one, and going on about domestic abuse. Now I was certain I didn't have HIV and anyone who knows my husband would think it hilarious to suggest he'd abuse me... I wear the trousers! I came out thinking "great, mw thinks I'm a beaten women with HIV!"

squizita Thu 24-Apr-14 19:46:27

I was given the number for the ante natal "helpline" (midwife led) and the labour ward for out of hours. Both based at the local hospital. Try googling these?

So today you've seen a consultant and a midwife, been referred for a 20 week scan and have an appointment for 23 weeks and you're worried about not being seen enough?!

I've had 2 midwife appointments and 2 scans and I'm 21 weeks. I have 2 more appointments before my baby is due. How many do you need? If there are problems, you will be seen more frequently, but you're not ill!

I think you might be right about expecting a bit too much.

RedToothBrush Thu 24-Apr-14 20:39:07

I am under consultant led care at one hospital in one area, but under a community midwife in a completely different area.

Its a bit odd as there doesn't really seem to be any coordination between the two and its really been up to me to sort certain things out. The two areas don't usually work together so it is an unusual situation.

Seeing my local community midwife has been under my own steam - as in booking appointments independently without input from the hospital, through my GP surgery myself.

I found it a really difficult set up to understand as it wasn't really explained properly, and I was just expected to know.

However the number of midwife appointments you've had does seem about right. I bypassed a booking in locally because I'm going to a hospital out of area and went their instead. I didn't see a local midwife until 16 weeks and have had one subsequently at 20 weeks (However this was mainly due to my severe anxiety rather than just a regular appointment. The normal midwife was away for my 16 week appointment and both the locum community midwife and the hospital felt that I should arrange an additional appointment to meet my normal midwife in order to start building a relationship and encouraged me to make this appointment.)

I would just ring your GP and book a midwife appointment through them and have done with it, rather than worrying about whether you are a nob!

ohthegoats Thu 24-Apr-14 21:56:56

The words 'normal' midwife make me want to at least meet a local one. Friends have referred to 'their' midwife, and seeing the same one repeatedly. I haven't met a local one who might turn up at my house afterwards, and I know I want some continuity with that. It might be the only thing I get that has a person with the same face.

probably doesn't help that I've recently moved to s big city from the small market town I grew up in. So have gone from doctors who have known me pretty much since I was born, to never actually seeing the same medical person twice, even though it's a time when I feel nervous about medical stuff.

Thanks for replies though.

CorporeSarnie Fri 25-Apr-14 08:38:56

It does vary from area to area, afaik in some places you see one of the CMW team vs. 'your' MW. As a word of caution re: postnatal days, before you get handed over to the health visitors, you may see more than one MW as they come out any day including weekends. If you have a phone number, can you call them and ask what should be happening, and if you can contact just the one person to discuss the minutiae?

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Fri 25-Apr-14 09:00:00

Try and get the midwife triage number, they are based at the hospital and are likely to pick up the phone, I've given up on my community midwife team.

peeapod Fri 25-Apr-14 09:03:40

Potteringalong, by the nature of the OP they could potentially be "ill" as they are under consultant led care, and therefore "could" be in need of extra reassurance and additional contact with a midwife.

I doubled on everything when I was under consultant care, more scans more midwifes more interventions etc.

tis not unreasonable, especially when its your first to not know what to expect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now