Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

midwife home visit

(31 Posts)
aroha77 Thu 24-Apr-14 16:40:17

Sorry I know this has been asked before but I did read the answers!
I'm 35 weeks and my midwife has just booked a home visit for next week which she said would take an hour. What can I expect from it...?
Thanks!

peeapod Thu 24-Apr-14 16:50:40

my midwife home visit was a bit pointless. She wanted to see where baby was going to be sleeping and pass on health and safety advice. Unfortunately there was so much advice being bombarded at me I forgot it all by the time she walked out of the door.. would have been better on a handout etc.

but its all common sense really. It is just to check the suitablity of the home environmnet (aka ass covering)

Beanymonster Thu 24-Apr-14 16:56:36

Don't worry about it at all.. My mw checked my home was suitable for baby by sitting in my living room..
'Do you have a bedroom..?'
'Er, yes?! Would you like to see?'
'No, no, as long as you have a bedroom....'

Other checks she would normally have done at the surgery then left!!

htbftm Fri 25-Apr-14 14:26:28

Our surgery does the booking in visit at home! Just a check that their are no warning signs that the m2b needs any help or support I think. xx

Aylish1993 Fri 25-Apr-14 14:36:04

I had my home visit last night, and she just sat on sofa and we went through birth plan, pain relief and breast feeding. She also asked if I got everything packed and ready to go. She didn't go and check anything like where the baby will sleep, I suppose everyone's different. Don't worry and congrats smile

SouthDerbyshireMamma Fri 25-Apr-14 15:11:32

Is this visit the same as the healthy child programme? I've had a letter this morning about this. Can't say I'm comfortable with someone I don't know poking thier nose in my business.

moomin35 Sun 27-Apr-14 09:02:54

Does everyone get a home visit? I'm 35 weeks and there's been no mention of one to me...should I ask?

Busymumto3dc Sun 27-Apr-14 09:04:13

I've had 3 dc and no home visits before the were born

Iwillorderthefood Sun 27-Apr-14 09:05:25

Never had an ante natal home visit, on DD3 now

insancerre Sun 27-Apr-14 09:12:28

All the people protesting about a midwife poking their mose on their business are probably the first to complain when other peoples babies are abused, neglected or murdered
Home visits while they have benefits for the mum to be are am essential first step in child protection of all children
I would rather all mums to be got the even if a few feel outraged at the thought.
Rather have someone outraged tham a dead baby

I don't think evetu

SouthDerbyshireMamma Sun 27-Apr-14 09:28:05

Thats rubbish insancerre

I dont like being told that I have to be visited at home. If they asked if I minded and gave an explanation as to why they are visiting then it would be a different matter. I dont take kindly to letters telling me they are visiting me at home and I must be available for said appointment. Its most inconvenient due to my partner working nights.

I agree that home visits in some circumstances are beneficial. They may be able to detect signs the parent/parents need additional support or that a child may be at risk. What i want to point out is in many of the cases in the media about child neglect, social services have already been involved and have been unable to stop the awful events unfolding. It doesn't always work unfortunately.

I know someone who would love a home visit from the health visitor pre baby, but they haven't been offered one.

On a lighter note, maybe if I re-locate my pets to the living area, it may put off any further pushy visits. The midwifery team are dreading seeing any of my "scary" pets lol

insancerre Sun 27-Apr-14 09:37:54

Its not rubbish.
Its about getting the full picture.
The more information there is about a holy the easier it is to prevent abuse and neglect or to just offer the right targeted support

insancerre Sun 27-Apr-14 09:38:57

*holy = family
Stoopid phone

peeapod Sun 27-Apr-14 09:39:56

And where do you think the involvement from social services start? from home visits such as these.

It is not any different to any other ante natal appointment, in that they are all pretty inconvenient but because by law your employer has to give you time off they can justify it.

It is annoying, it is inconvenient, but it is the way things work now. It is not something you have much choice over because if you try to make a fuss and not comply it will instantly raise concerns.

It is in my opinion wrong as the midwives role to support and not snoop, but it is the new face of the service as they can't afford to make mistakes..

insancerre Sun 27-Apr-14 09:41:07

And I wasn't necessarily talking about high profile cases in the media
I work with children
I see first hand how some families struggle

peeapod Sun 27-Apr-14 09:43:04

it is a weird logic that a tidy house is a sign of a good parent, but thats the logic they appear to be working on...

Giraffeski Sun 27-Apr-14 09:43:57

Are you having a home birth? I had a home visit at 36 weeks. To check accessibility and general stuff about the house ( they had to check we had running water etc) and asked where I was thinking of labouring/giving birth. They also brought a massive bin bag sized home birth pack to leave so i was glad I hadn't had to lug that home from the clinic!
She didn't actually leave the living room though.
I think sometimes it's just to make sure there's somewhere to park, if it's tricky to find etc they can put notes on there so anyone coming out in labour will be able to find more easily.

ftmsoon Sun 27-Apr-14 09:47:26

I had a home visit, but from a Health Visitor rather than midwife. She gave me more of the same info about where the baby will sleep, breastfeeding etc. As she will be visiting after the birth it was nice to have met her before. I also changed the appointment to a time that suited me!
I would rather they visit women like me that have lots of support and probably won't need them than there being more children dying of neglect!

insancerre Sun 27-Apr-14 09:51:30

Thinking about it, home visits are nothing new

I had one before dd was born and she is 18 this year

SouthDerbyshireMamma Sun 27-Apr-14 09:53:32

I've worked with vulnerable families for years. Those who need the support get missed and people like me, have to participate and waste the overstretched recourses of the NHS.

I know my employer has to give me time off, but my partners employer won't be giving him time off for the appointment. I'm not even able to change the time of the appointment to when it suits us.

I never said they can't come, I just don't like being told what I must do by some faceless person. Surely you understand that? Me and my bloke get judged because we look "alternative" so I don't fancy someone judging me in my own home too.

peeapod Sun 27-Apr-14 10:02:05

What alternatives do you suggest then mamma?

I'm genuinely interested because I think that the midwifery service is too much focused on label based need rather than the premise that all new mothers need some sort of support over and above their standard care package.

I have been judged, scrutinised and seen to be a bad parent just because I have a label they consider to be having a negative impact on pregnancy (which I have since proven that I am a suitable candidate for being a mother).

Surely, your logic would suggest that this 35 week home appointment for all parents is a good thing as its more likely to highlight need for more people.

The role of the midwife has extended beyond simply a physical and sometimes emotional response into a social care and more hollistic approach.

If a midwife came around at 35 weeks and things weren't organised for a baby then it would be a clear concern and is a good way to check on these things...

but if you have a better suggestion?

insancerre Sun 27-Apr-14 10:09:07

Mama you can't complain that fiamilies in need are not picked up and in the same breath complain about participating in a scheme that aims to address that very issue
It has to be that everyone participates otherwise it fails to work
Prevention is always better than cure

peeapod Sun 27-Apr-14 10:14:39

Perhaps you need to take this as a learning experience then mamma?

If you object to the judgement and scrunity of someone invading your home then you need to take that into your work environment.

Now you know what it feels like to be subject to these procedures perhaps there is something that you can do to make it easier for us "vunerable" families to feel more comfortable.

SouthDerbyshireMamma Sun 27-Apr-14 10:17:10

My appointment isn't a 35 week appointment, or at least I don't think it is. If you read my first post in this thread I asked if this was the same as a healthy child programme visit. I will be 30 weeks by the time the appointment comes round.

I think its awful that you have had to prove yourself over a label you have been given. Really I do!

I have nothing to hide. Our nursery is complete, we have everything for our little one. My house is spotless and very well organised. We both hold down good jobs and both have a great bill of health.

What I don't understand is that this service is not given to some parents and forced on others. It could be beneficial for some parents.

My midwife is excellent and I cannot praise her enough. This health visiting team so far have only proven to be rude, uninformative, and not cooperative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now