Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

very confused about pregnancy tests

(21 Posts)
lkm222 Thu 24-Apr-14 11:34:02

Hi all
I had positive pregnancy tests at the beginning of March, then started bleeding on the 9th :-(
I then still had positive tests at the beginning of April, so made an appointment with my doctor, he took blood on the 11th and the 14th, the first one was 807 hcg, when I phoned for the second one, the receptionist just said it was negative and there was nothing else needed to be done.
I had been having the typical pregnancy symptoms feeling sick, tiredness, sore boobs.
I still had these symptoms on Monday, so did a hpt, which is saying positive (very strong line too)
Any one got any advice as to what I should do next?
Thank-you

squizita Thu 24-Apr-14 11:47:29

Please go back to your Dr.

Request another set of blood tests. Ask him to refer you to the EPU immediately for a scan: if he resists, explain your HCG appears to be creeping up again after an apparent loss!

It may be the receptionist made a mistake, which would be wonderful news.

However, I don't mean to scare you but there are some complications of loss (ectopic, molar/partial molar, retained materials) requiring hospital treatment. These can all manifest by HCG appearing to go down, then creeping up again. Some GPs do not think of these as they are normally picked up by the hospital. Do remind your GP that if you have had a miscarriage, the receptionist should not just send you away - you need a check up to ensure no infections etc' at the bare minimum (many GPs would also refer you for a quick scan too), and should be reminded to take a home test 2 weeks later as per NICE guidelines to check all has passed safely. The receptionist is not medically trained and should not have made that decision on behalf of a DR. The surgery manager needs to know.

Hope it is good news for you.

squizita Thu 24-Apr-14 11:48:57

PS. I have had a partial molar with similar symptoms and several months of hospital check-ups. The good news is less than 1 year after it was discovered I'm 19 weeks pregnant. smile

Hope receptionist made an error, but even if not, scary though it is, nowadays they can totally sort it.

lkm222 Thu 24-Apr-14 11:51:49

Thank-you for getting back to me, I will give the doctors a call, see what they say.
Can I only get a scan done thru my gp or can I contact the epu myself do u know?

squizita Thu 24-Apr-14 11:56:23

It depends on your area, some you can, some you can't. May be worth ringing them and explaining?

But I would feed back to your GP at your receptionist. Mine won't ever give results herself - only through a nurse/Dr, and certainly won't decide on who needs a follow up. I was a bit shock to hear that! Especially in this day and age.

lkm222 Thu 24-Apr-14 11:59:13

I'll make a docs appointment then, will call the epu see what they say too.

Just don't feel right if you know what I mean, I knew instantly that I was pregnant with my ds, and this time I know something is going on in there just not sure what :-/

Ducky23 Thu 24-Apr-14 17:07:23

Did you have a named midwife? Sounds like you should Deffo have a scan. If it is a loss it is possible to get infections from not passing everything properly.

Surely the receptionist should not have have you that type of information over the phone anyway!? Surely a dr should have gave you the news in a more sensitive manner!

Really hope the receptionist has made a mistake.

lkm222 Thu 24-Apr-14 20:21:32

No I didn't have a named midwife.

I called the epu at the hospital, they can see me on Tuesday afternoon, another 5 days of paranoia to go :-/

Ducky23 Thu 24-Apr-14 20:23:48

That's ridiculous :-(

Could you go to a&e? At my hospital they have a special a&e for pregnant people in the maternity ward and you can just walk in for a scan, maybe yours do something like that? I don't see how they can make you wait that long

Really hope everything is ok for you

lkm222 Thu 24-Apr-14 21:28:59

I don't

lkm222 Thu 24-Apr-14 21:31:00

I don't think there is anything like that at the local hospital, would be better if there was.
Can see me driving myself mad by Tuesday :-/

alita7 Thu 24-Apr-14 22:11:44

go to a and e they will be able to help in some way xx

lkm222 Tue 29-Apr-14 18:32:27

Had my appointment at the epu, they looked up my blood results and the second one which the receptionist said was negative, was actually a void test as they hadn't labelled the bottle right!
So they scanned me, found the baby, along with heartbeat :-D :-D

squizita Tue 29-Apr-14 18:57:46

lkm What a positive outcome! smile

Silly receptionist.

Hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful!

Pregnantagain7 Tue 29-Apr-14 19:06:59

Omg what a wonderful result! What a stupid arse of a receptionist, congratulations hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well smile

MrsLilac Tue 29-Apr-14 21:55:08

Omg I am disgusted at tat receptionist. You absolutely must complain to her manager and kick up a fuss. Imagine if you had taken her advise and just presumed you had MC and not gone to get a scan. I'm so angry! Stupid woman to put you through that.

On a positive note, CONGRATULATIONS! Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy x

sykadelic Wed 30-Apr-14 00:57:59

Congrats!!

I also agree with complaining about the receptionist. I don't know if she's "qualified" to be giving out that result and instructions anyway!

alita7 Wed 30-Apr-14 01:05:05

That's absolutely lovely news!
How many weeks are you?

I agree that receptionist should have asked someone if she couldn't interpret the results! I would complain!
imagine if you'd gone weeks grieving and trying to Ignore what you may have thought were phantom symptoms and done things that were potentially harmful to your baby, especially as for some women a natural response to an mc is to go out and do everything they weren't allowed to do while pregnant...

Ferreroroche123 Wed 30-Apr-14 06:51:43

Congratulations. What a lovely outcome.

But shame on the receptionist. Disgraceful behaviour which must be reported.

Suspected miscarriages must be followed up thoroughly to ensure all has passed and no complications.

How many weeks is your bubs measuring? Is it that you didn't miscarry in March at all or is this a new bub?

lkm222 Wed 30-Apr-14 09:08:30

Bubs is measuring about 7 weeks, so it was a mc in march.
I will be telling my gp the next time I see him about the receptionist, luckily I hadn't been drinking or anything (apart from smoking)

Thank-you all

Ferreroroche123 Wed 30-Apr-14 09:14:36

Wishing you all the best for this little one over the next 5 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now