Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

back and rib pain, please help!!

(14 Posts)
mixi82 Wed 23-Apr-14 20:57:04

Well just like it says, I'm getting really bad back pain around my ribs and also sometimes in the front. It's all on the right side, where baby has taken up residence for the last few weeks. It's more of an aching pain, like they're bruised. I can only get relief when I stand up but can't do that all day at work sad

any good relief from this?

CorporateRockWhore Wed 23-Apr-14 21:02:30

Sorry to say, I still have rib pain in my back and my youngest is almost two. No advice on how to deal with it, but it's horrible isn't it? sad

WorkingBling Wed 23-Apr-14 21:05:09

I recently tripped and banged my knee and elbow. Few days later, rib pain started. When I saw my chiropractor he popped five ribs back into place!! Almost instant relief. Two had to be popped back a few times - dh mastered the art and did it before I went to bed at night until they stayed.

I do bang on about this but I believe a good, recommended, Chiro in pregnancy can really help with many of these issues. Is that an option for you?

manchester2014 Wed 23-Apr-14 21:36:41

I have exactly this! Back ache right up my spine and ribs feel very bruised at the front! im in so much pain! it is usualt worse when i am sat down in work and when i drive! I'm 36 weeks and have had it since around 33 weeks! How far along are you

softlysoftly Wed 23-Apr-14 21:54:27

It's called "Rib Flare" all your organs are getting shoved up in there. I had it with DD1, didn't with DD2 and now have it again with DC3.

it flipping hurts! Not much you can do though the mw told me sad

Plateofcrumbs Thu 24-Apr-14 07:05:34

Funnily enough I was just complaining about something similar. I have pain in my mid back on the right hand side which is 'red hot poker' like (quite sharp, but burning more than stabbing). The equivalent spot on my front, at the top of my bump, also gets painful (burning again) and/or goes numb.

I get it worst when I've been sat at my desk at work but lying or standing or stretching seems to relieve it.

ChicaMomma Thu 24-Apr-14 13:43:10

I've had it for 10/12 weeks know (on and off), baby was breech at 20 weeks and still breech at 32 weeks.. his head is up around my ribs, hence the pain.. it's awful. I just stretch my arms over my head to relieve it. Havent been able to wear a bra for ages!! Even a 36 (i measure 33) aggravates it too much!!

TheBabyFacedAssassin Thu 24-Apr-14 13:49:27

Ugh I have this too, it's horrible. My rib/back has been sore since I was about 10 weeks pregnant, something to do with relaxin and ligaments. I'm now 30 weeks and now only get relief when lying flat on my back. I have been prescribed co-codamol as well but that only takes the edge off. You have my sympathy!

mixi82 Thu 24-Apr-14 16:50:18

Thanks for the replies.

WorkingBling I prob could go to chiro but isn't it expensive? And doesn't it hurt when they pop things back into place?

I've just gone 28 weeks and saw MW today, she said it's just part of pregnancy and there isn't any real relief from it. She didn't seem concerned. Had scan too(for other reasons)and baby head is down, has been since my last scan and on previous examinations so not breech. I actually get some relief when I take my bra off but it's not especially tight

manchester2014 mine is worse when I drive too, I have a wedge pillow I use which helps

ChicaMomma Thu 24-Apr-14 17:22:44

ACtually mine is also particularly bad in the car- i generally get OH to drive and i put my right arm up and out the back of the headrest to relieve the pain..

oh the joys of pregnancy! Mixi, it must be the feet that are installed in your ribs- in my case it's the head! awful!!

mixi82 Thu 24-Apr-14 20:25:02

I do the same thing Chica arm above head behind head rest in the car which does help until the blood drains from your hands grin

And defo little feet embedded up there, I frequently see a tiny bump stretching through on the right side. I'm feeling that as I type!

Monkeybrain10 Thu 24-Apr-14 20:31:37

I've had similar for a few months..now 31weeks. Some days it is so uncomfortable that i don't know what to do with myself..other days it's ok. I find lying on my left side helps...seems to make baby drop down away from my ribs. I also have found lying on left with a hot water bottle under my right armpit (and on ribs) helps...often go to sleep like this. I also get the boyfriend to prod me in the back where the muscles are sore. Hope u find a solution...let us know if you do!!

WorkingBling Thu 24-Apr-14 22:57:33

Op Chiro prices vary but I would expect you to pay between 30-40 per session. The manipulation does not hurt at all - it's purely about getting your body to go back to the way it's supposed to so it's not sore. A friend recently had her hip popped back at 30 weeks and said the relief was instant! She only went twice and I think
Is now going every few weeks.

As for midwives saying it's normal and nothing you can do - NOTHING infuriates me more. It's rubbish. Being pregnant is crap, yes, but often there are things that can relieve the discomfort.

WorkingBling Thu 24-Apr-14 22:58:30

Incidentally, a lot of the things people are mentioning here about stretching etc are probably having the same affect as chiro or similar - or they help your body to get itself back into alignment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now