Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnobirthing?

(6 Posts)
Fissawissa Wed 23-Apr-14 13:43:54

Are any of you using hypnobirthing?
I'm interested to see how it worked for those who have done it in previous pregnancies as I'm thinking of doing a course.
Thanks thanks

Rockchick1984 Wed 23-Apr-14 13:47:03

I did it in both pregnancies (natal hypnotherapy CD though rather than a course). First time it helped me to relax about the idea of the birth, but I panicked in labour and forgot it all blush

Did it second time, and it helped massively - drug free home water birth, only pain relief was the pool and the hypno!

Fissawissa Wed 23-Apr-14 14:47:18

Thanks rockchick, this will be my second do I (kind of) know what to expect!
I have a book & CD here somewhere but have just moved house & no idea where!
I think I'd be ok with just the book & CD too & not actually doing the course.

DearDinah Wed 23-Apr-14 16:47:27

I'm working through the natal hypnotherapy cd set & book, this is my first, I'm toying with the idea of a home birth as I am quite a panicker & think the hospital might make me more tense, but then on the other hand it's my first & I've no idea what to expect!

Cheerymum Wed 23-Apr-14 16:55:31

I used it for my first birth - did a course as well.
Had a 32 hour labour, and my daughter was back to back.
I didn't get all the way through with just hypnobirthing but I got to 9.5 cm feeling relaxed and in control with no pain relief. Not so say it didn't hurt, but I felt calm and on top of it. However things didn't progress from there except with escalating pain and not much progress for the next few hours, as tends to happen with back to backs (in the end my labour needed to be augmented with synto and I requested an epidural before they put it on). I did however end up with a normal delivery, and I think the hypnobirthing really helped me to cope.
Second birth was identical twins :-) and elective section was recommended as safer in my particular circumstances.

Fissawissa Wed 23-Apr-14 19:25:54

Thanks for the stories, I know it's not going to take all the pain away but like you said cheerymum I'd like to feel calm & on top of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now