Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to start raspberry leaf tea?

(20 Posts)
justhayley Mon 21-Apr-14 23:35:20

Hiya I drank raspberry leaf tea & had a great labour with DC1 - now 2. Have no clue if the tea helped with labour but I want to drink it again just encase. Only problem is I can't remember when to start drinking it?
I'm now 26+4, should I wait until I hit the third trimester - when does that start by the way? Or shall I get cracking and buy some tomorrow?

Thank you

MissCalamity Tue 22-Apr-14 09:16:04

Third trimester is 29 weeks I think. However I would hold off drinking the tea until you are term, ie: 37 weeks.

I drank it with my first Dc and found it awful, this time round, it's not that bad & I bought them both from Holland & Barrett, but have been putting in a slug of vimto as well!

moobaloo Tue 22-Apr-14 09:35:13

I started drinking it at just before 36 weeks but I know there are people who drink it earlier.

It isn't supposed to bring on labour, but I didn't feel ready drinking it before 35 weeks just in case!

Darksideofthemoon88 Tue 22-Apr-14 10:46:06

I'm planning to give it a go from 36 weeks.

Cariad007 Tue 22-Apr-14 11:45:31

36 weeks and you're probably better off taking the capsules as you'd get a guaranteed strength. The tea can be diluted so it isn't as effective.

ChicaMomma Tue 22-Apr-14 12:40:24

Cariad, do you have a link to the capsules? (just to make sure i get the right ones).. i would much rather take it in that form and didnt realise it was an option. I'm going to start from 35 weeks I think.

ToastMakesMeHappy Tue 22-Apr-14 12:42:06

Holland and Barrett sell the capsules at a good price smile

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 13:04:29

I was just about start a thread asking the same question - thanks for beating me to it!wink

being overdue is way too late, because raspberry leaf tea acts as a tonic/equalizer meaning that if the womb is too lax it will help tone it up, but if it is too "tight" it will relax it.
it prepares the womb for labour rather than help to get labour going - that is all I remember.

I think I was advised to take it after 32 weeks. can't remember dose.

<reads thread>

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 13:06:04

Calamity

3rd trimester starts at 27 weeks.
I marked it with a red pen last week!smile

(28 weeks today)

justhayley Tue 22-Apr-14 14:13:49

Thanks all,
I must have started way too early last time as I was having newborn cuddles at 35 weeks.
Iv heard it makes your contractions stronger - which in effect makes labour shorter but more painful.
Who knows, probably nothing in it, but I like the taste and am not taking any

justhayley Tue 22-Apr-14 14:14:06

.....chances grin

justhayley Tue 22-Apr-14 14:15:52

And yay to Third trimester - in 27 weeks tomorrow. Were on the home straight Zing grin must get over to our antenatal thread only been keeping up to date with everyone through Facebook but know we are missing loads

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 14:20:32

yes hayley, get back to where you truly belong! wink

mummytobejuly2014 Tue 22-Apr-14 20:12:10

im hoping to try the raspberry leaf capsules. was thinking a low dose from 30wks & upping it every fortnight perhaps? would that be mad/sensible?

Blueshine Tue 22-Apr-14 20:16:29

I took it with my first from 37 weeks and had a 8 hour labour and then from 30 with my second and upped it very few weeks and as Hayley said it shorten my labour only 1 and a quarter but it was sooooo much more painful!!

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 20:47:45

blue

the thing is you can't say for sure your labour was shorter because of raspberry leaf tea.

second labours tend to be faster anyway, but each labour is different and length & intensity (and everything else) depend on so many variables there's just no way to know what will happen.

for me it was my third labour that was the fastest and most painful, 6th was probably the easiest in some ways.

wonder how it will go this time - my main hope is that I won't end up with a C-section!smile

upupupandaway Tue 22-Apr-14 21:10:08

I had some "just in case". think it's a bit of a health food retailers con TBO. You will go into labour when the time is right. I don't buy into this "super foods" nonsense. It's all for commercial gain/profit.

Blueshine Tue 22-Apr-14 21:53:37

Zing you are of cause right smile could have been that could have been anything but will be taking it if I get a third go just on case smile

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 22:07:00

I can't blame you for thinking it's worked though blue!

I swear by sweep & sex combo - that seemed to worked a few times!wink

and tiramisu! had 3 spoonfuls with DD, waters broke 5 mins later.
you bet I'll be stuffing my face with tiramisu if overdue!grin

Cariad007 Tue 22-Apr-14 22:07:38

ChicaMama, I got them from Holland and Barrett. Seemed to work for me as second stage of labour lasted just 90 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now