Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch mark cream

(32 Posts)
Hobby2014 Mon 21-Apr-14 21:34:39

Hi all
Can anybody recommend a good cream for stretch marks?
I'm 25 weeks pregnant and have so far been using palmers cocoa butter lotion. Did look at bio oil but was so much more expensive. Has anybody used it? Is it worth the money? Or is there something else you would recommend?
TIA

Darksideofthemoon88 Tue 22-Apr-14 13:22:04

Oooh thanks Moggle - I'll be right back there on Thursday then! I've also heard that it's mainly genetic re whether you get them or not: apparently if your mother/sister have them, you're much more likely to get them. I've also read that young mothers (under 20, I think it said) are more likely to get them, as are those carrying twins or multiples.

kinkytoes Tue 22-Apr-14 20:30:39

Not sure about the genetics thing? I got growth stretchmarks on my thighs when I was a teenager (no bio oil), but none during pregnancy (using bio oil).

sjonlegs Wed 06-Aug-14 14:02:28

I concur with all the POSITIVITY!!

I can't recommend Bio Oil highly enough ... it's seen me through 3 pregnancies, a hysterectomy and major abdominal surgery. It's also saved two of my friends from nasty scars on their faces following surgery ... any my children on many occasion from scaring after deep bumps and scrapes. It's worth every penny in my book!

MeAndMySpoon Wed 06-Aug-14 14:07:31

I, on the other hand, also used Biooil lavishly and my stretch marks all zipped themselves halfway up my abdomen from about 34 weeks. sad It IS genetic. If you're going to get them, they will happen.

mssleepyhead Wed 06-Aug-14 14:08:37

I've used A LOT of bio oil twice a day from 12 weeks. Stretch marks appeared at about 25 weeks. Still using it as I'm hoping it will help keep them calm but it certainly hasn't stopped them - 37 weeks now and they're still coming!

DearKitty Wed 06-Aug-14 14:29:52

I have sensitive skin and bio-oil brought me out in a rash all over. Google suggests this is quite common. I had bought 3 bottles on 3 for 2 at Boots and they were very good in allowing me to return the two unopened ones at a weighted average value. I got Aveeno moisturiser instead and no stretch marks yet at 29 weeks.

monkeymamma Wed 06-Aug-14 15:49:21

Another bio oil user here and when ds was born I distinctly remember the midwife complimenting me postpartum on my lack of stretch marks! He was a huge baby and I've literally no stretch marks at all on my belly. A word of warning though - don't just do your belly. I did first time round and you could see the bits I didn't bother with cos there were stretch marks there (bum and thighs). I didn't think I'd put much weight on elsewhere but, erm, I really had :-D pg no.2 right now and I'm slathering it on all over, boobs, bum, legs, the lot. It's expensive but it's only for a year (DON'T forget to do it 'on the way down' ie as you get slimmer post birth) and you will thank yourself for it :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now